pennzoil platinum synthetic oil and filter...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ram5.7hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A
Engine
N/A
so i finally made my mind up and chose synthetic over conventional and am pretty sure I'm going to go with pennzoil platinum full synthetic... not sure about oil filter i was thinking of a k&N after watching some videos on youtube they seem to be made better then some filters...

anyone using k&N filters?

also my truck has 3500 miles on it from factory with oil. i was thinking of changing it at 5k.... is 5k too soon to put synthetic in it?

i drive a lot of highway miles and thats one reason I'm deciding to go synthetic and i also want my truck to last me a long time as long as possible.

CrownHill

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just put regular mopar oil and do a change every 5000km (3100miles). Maybe go synthetic once there is some more miles on it but really no advantage except less frequent oil changes, which it sounds like you are already going to do.

clh1220

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
You can go to full synthetic right now. I changed mine at 2200 miles the first time. I use either purolator or mopar filter. I change mine at around 8k miles. Now for the benefits of synthetic over conventional oil.You can go longer, cleaner engine better in the heat and cold and better wear protection. I would change it and the Pennzoil platinum is recommended for your hemi.

Kotta390

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I didn't think the Mopar filter was good enough to handle anymore than 5000miles?

Ramrt1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 1500 R/T
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The mopar oil filter is fine, my regular oil change intervals from the factory are over 8000 miles between oil changes.

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Changed mine to Pennzoil Platinum Full Synthetic at 5000 miles and have changed every 7000 since.

clh1220

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I didn't think the Mopar filter was good enough to handle anymore than 5000miles?

I know that filter is fine since it comes with our trucks. If you go by the evic , you will see it can go well over 5k miles.

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
K&N filters sacrifice media efficiency for more flow. I would recommend either a FRAM ULTRA (only FRAM worth buying) or a MOBIL 1 high end filter.

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
here go on you tube and look at oil filter comparisons. There is one company who manufactures a **** load of oil filters for a variety of different companies. Personally I run a royal purple filter, but I also do my oil changes once a year/or 8k miles. Even though all these oils filters are made by the same company they all have different specs& and designs that they want the oil filter made to. That being said one company makes the royal purple/ K&n/mopar/ and Fram oil filters. How ever the royal purple is made with different materials/ thicknesses for better tolerances. If u are going every three k miles then a change u can run what ever filter u want- should be fine- but if u are going for max intervals run royal purple.

Jimmy68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L Magnum
I run full synthetic. In my HHR with the fuel mileage counter I've noticed a marketable increase in fuel mileage. 95% of my driving is on highway and i usually set the cruise around 70-75mph.
With a gear oil swap and engine oil swap in my 4x4 increased mileage and freed up power. Seat of the pants dyno.

clh1220

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
You don't have to use a royal purple filter to run 8k miles on a oil change. It may be better but it's not necessary. My evic tells me I still have oil life left at 8k. There is no where that your manual says change the oil filter sooner than the oil , if your not using a royal purple filter. Pennzoil platinum and mopar filter are recommended for your truck.

boostking101

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm doing redline 0w-20. With a royal purple filter. Hands done the best oil on the market at a better weight and the best filter!

Nutshell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Pennzoil Ultra Platinum and a Fram Ultra filter and your good to go.

calvary_soldier

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I too run with the royal purple oil and filter. At a 4k change the oil isn't horribly dirty and still has decent viscosity to it. But I've personally never used Pennzoil.