Performance break down on my new hemi ram?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JASONRAM1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Okay, I own a performance parts company for cars mainly (I'll be expanding to trucks soon). I've got a good idea of what I'm doing here but I have a few questions for some current modded Ram owners.

First, what do these run in the 1/4 mile from the factory? The Hemi clearly has good power, feels like its in the 14sec range. I have a quad cab with 4x4.

Second, what are the more popular intakes that people have had good results with? Fit/finish or power gains. I was looking into a K&N intake (can't go wrong there) or an Airaid system.

Last, what about the exhaust. I think they all have sound good for the most part. I know the cylinder deactivation is gonna sound bad no matter what but what about drone. Which system seems to drone the least. From what I can see MBRP, Magnaflow, Corsa, and Flowmasters all make systems. I like Corsa but the DB series is LOUD, had a set on my G8 and it dronned me into replacing them (I do a good amount of highway driving). Corsa is usually drone free with their systems anyone have one installed? How about the MBRP?

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
You can eliminate MDS with a SuperChips tuner and also boost performance and trans control . Pair that up with a good CAI and exhaust and you half way there . Next step is headers , gears , cam . As for speed .. look what I drive its a TANK .. no speed here . But im sure more will chime in .

Welcome to RF

pavester

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
stock 2011s should be around the 14.5-14 sec quarter mile, they respond well to mods but they are heavy trucks. intake- k&n make good ones, vararam was designing a 4th gen model but never heard anything else, volant is also good.

ive heard the mufflex mufflers on a 2011 and it sounded quieter than stock. best bets to hit up youtube and start looking at videos of exhaust setups. I know with a tuner you should be able to turn off mds(cylinder deactivation) so it will always be in v8 mode and have the same exhaust note 24/7

pavester

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
You can eliminate MDS with a SuperChips tuner and also boost performance and trans control . Pair that up with a good CAI and exhaust and you half way there . Next step is headers , gears , cam .

suggest he holds off on cams for a few more months as all the big name cam manufacturer are just getting custom grinds designed from what i have seen...they have a few cams out now but they are just regrinds off the stock camshaft

RamTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 Dakota SXT
Engine
3.7L
suggest he holds off on cams for a few more months as all the big name cam manufacturer are just getting custom grinds designed from what i have seen...they have a few cams out now but they are just regrinds off the stock camshaft

Just now? You'd think they'd have something since this engine configuration has been out since the '09 model year.

I agree with the "Big 3" mods first. An engine is nothing more than an air pump so the more efficiently you get air into and out of the cylinders, the more power you make. A good intake such as a Volant, Mopar or K&N, exhaust such as Magnaflow, Borla or Mufflex, and a tuner such as the SC or Diablosport Predator will give you a lot of bang for the buck.

OP
OP
J

JASONRAM1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I'm not thinking cam or even headers at this point......well maybe headers. This is a work truck first so the better gas mileage/performance I can get out of it the better. A cam will eat up some mileage and drivability which I need at this point. So I've already bought a spray in bed liner and a Agri Cover roll up cover (favorite kind of cover). I have to say the discounts from my company help a ton there. So I'll be doing the intake and exhaust soon. So no one on the site has Corsa? I was hoping someone here could chime in. Anyone with an Airaid intake? I'm not a huge Volant fan, I have one on my G8 and I think its useless other then to hide my nitrous kit.

Copperhead

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Bone stock (no weight reduction) my QC (4x2) went 14.85 in the 1/4 with 4:55 gears and stock 20s. It weighed in at 5450 lbs at the track without me in it.

Btw, I have a 14" mufflex now and it is MUCH louder than stock.

doc leavitt

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 QC SLT
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I also have the 11 qc 4x4 hemi. I did quite a bit of research and a ton of phone calls about the CAI. The best I ended up with was the 63 series K&N. $212 for whole thing including s&h with the coupon (message me for details). It was cheaper than the other K&N series and claimed up to 15.66hp (about 3 more hp). Now I didn't go and dyno mine, but I can tell you it felt like I had unleashed the hemi beast. I noticed a little gain in the fuel mileage, when I wasnt putting it to the floor. I also went with the SI/DO magnaflow 22" SS. They claim to add about 10 -12 hp. When your out on the highway with cruise set it doesnt sound too much louder than stock even in mds mode. When you push her to the floor she has some volume and has a good tone. As for the power gains I didnt notice it near as much as the CAI. All said and done I think im getting about 1.5-2 mpg better, but kind of hard to tell bc i think the engine is breaking in a little more now (only 8k). I am by no means an expert, but this is what I did to mine and Im very pleased with it.

blackout11

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 R/T
Engine
hemi 5.7
Well first off don't know if you care about the warranty but a cam or headers might void it not sure.As far as 1/4 i have an R/t and on street/slicks i did a 13.8 as far as the drone i have mangaflow and I'm not hearing any.And as far as tuners not sure if theres anything for the 2011 yet i know super chips does not make one so don't try to go over 106 cause it will bogg and laugh at u

also i took off the 22's on the front and used 17''

Last edited: