Performance shop "Y Pipe not worth it, You'll loose bottom end power"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PaulHuntzy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I spoke to the guy at a performance shop while installing my Magnaflow 14" on my truck, he told me not to install the magnaflow y pipe that I also purchased online because I will loose a lot of bottom end power and the factory y pipe works just fine.

Let me know what I should do because after reading a lot of threads, y pipe seemed like a must for me as a lot of people was happy with there magnaflow y pipe.

So I don't know weather to return it back to summit or what..

HELP PLEASE!

moparman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500
Engine
I removed mine completely and noticed no significant difference in performance. It certainly gave the exhaust a deeper tone though. Try a regular exhaust shop, they should be able to put it in no problem. No sense in sending it back when you already have it and everybody here swears by the y pipe. Youll laugh at the stock y pipe

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2

OP
OP
P

PaulHuntzy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I removed mine completely and noticed no significant difference in performance. It certainly gave the exhaust a deeper tone though. Try a regular exhaust shop, they should be able to put it in no problem. No sense in sending it back when you already have it and everybody here swears by the y pipe. Youll laugh at the stock y pipe

Your 100% right I have read so many threads and I got nothing but good reviews on it. But this guy at the shop made me second guess. I'm just going to have it installed tomorrow.

Ps. I just installed the Mag 14" and I can't be any happier sounds so mean

moparman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500
Engine
Your 100% right I have read so many threads and I got nothing but good reviews on it. But this guy at the shop made me second guess. I'm just going to have it installed tomorrow.

Ps. I just installed the Mag 14" and I can't be any happier sounds so mean

I have the 14" mag with no y on my 3.7 v6 and i have people asking me if its a hemi. Youll get a different tone with the mag y but you wont be disappointed.

LovMyRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 QCSB Black Edition, 2014 RCSB.
Engine
I spoke to the guy at a performance shop while installing my Magnaflow 14" on my truck, he told me not to install the magnaflow y pipe that I also purchased online because I will loose a lot of bottom end power and the factory y pipe works just fine.

Let me know what I should do because after reading a lot of threads, y pipe seemed like a must for me as a lot of people was happy with there magnaflow y pipe.

So I don't know weather to return it back to summit or what..

HELP PLEASE!

Tell the guy when he steps up to the engineering side of the aftermarket world, he can add his .02 Unless he enjoys working at the chop shop. I was under the impression the factory Y section is a decent restriction.

mossyoak03

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
If you crawl under your truck an look at your stock y pipe you will see one side of it is bent inward which I didn't like. So I put an x pipe on mine!

OP
OP
P

PaulHuntzy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for all the imput

My question would be, was this guy right about loosing power at the bottom end? And will I gain any noticeable power top end?

TheSatinPumpkin

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 Dodge Ram
Engine
5.7L
really your choice on what to do next. You mentioned that you already seen the positive threads of multiple ram owners and their experiences. Gotta weigh that with what a installer said and decide. Its more of a complimenting mod but it all adds up

You can always do before and after time trials and if you don't like the numbers then put the stocker back on.

Last edited:

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You won't notice any difference, it is a great supporting mod on these trucks when you start flowing more air with intake, TB, tune. Your stock cats are going to keep you from losing any of the bottome end.

Darkflow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
All your doing by swapping in a magnaflow y pipe is just helping the exhaust flow more freely in that section. Your not really going to gain or lose anything.

OP
OP
P

PaulHuntzy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
All your doing by swapping in a magnaflow y pipe is just helping the exhaust flow more freely in that section. Your not really going to gain or lose anything.

So if it helps the flow but yet doesn't gain anything, what's the point?

lone12star

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Since it has better flow and it's open more it'll help change the tone of your exhaust a bit. It should make it a bit deeper

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Two Dog

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 RAM RCSB Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Personally, I wouldn't bother with the Y. You're not going to notice that it's even there.

Darkflow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So if it helps the flow but yet doesn't gain anything, what's the point?

There's a small gain in it. Dont get me wrong but its not something you will feel or notice. But your not going to lose anything.

What you really gain, is a better flowing exhaust system which is better for overall performance.

Bigdaddy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 3500 Laramie CCLB
Engine
6.7L Diesel Cummins
Hmmm, this is very interesting bacause to look at this and to look at the stock, 2+2 just don't add up.

Judge for yourself, they say that a pics is worth a thousand words, this and get you a straight muffler should give you something.

mossyoak03

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Big daddy has a picture of what I was talking about with how one side is crushed in due to the bend