Performance Transmission Advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vcode70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have a 2014 Hemi Ram RCSB 2wd 6 speed that I like to play with at the drag strip a few weekends a year and then put about a 1500 miles a year driving to work and so on. The mods I have done so far include LT headers, catless Y pipe w/ cut out, Hemifever tune, 3000-3200 TC, 4.56 gears, 180 t-stat, ATI underdrive pulley, ported TB, Vararam intake, and lowered 2" in the front and 4" in the rear. The truck only has about 3000 miles on it and everything is good to go so far. However, from what I read on here, it seems like it will only be a matter of time until the tranny is toast. Some of the members on here mentioned I should start a "tranny fund", so I think that is what I will do. I have just a few questions first:

1. I hear Mike from L&M builds a nice tranny. The only problem is that I live in Northern Ontario, Canada (that's why I only get to the track a few times a year because the closest one is over 5 hours away). Does anyone happen to know if there are any good tranny builders in Ontario, or anywhere in Canada for that matter?

2. From what I read on hear, I might be mistaken, but do you need to get a separate tune for a performance tranny? If so, where do you get this tune, and does it work in conjunction with the HemiFever tune?

3. Finally, should I just keep on trucking until she lets go, or is there a supplier that sells performance trannies for our trucks that don't require a core and then I can sell my 3000 mile tranny separately?

Any advice, links, and/or prices would be GREATLY appreciated! Thanks!!

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You might want to contact Matt at Moe's. He has a 6(maybe 5) speed in his 2011 that he races pretty successfully. I don't think he has had any problems with his trans and he might be able to give you some advise on things to do to increase the longevity of your transmission under the conditions your are describing.
Jay

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
Making your transmission last has more to do with how you drive than what upgrades you try to add to it. Avoid wot downshifts and don't do top speed runs of 130mph +, and you will be fine.

Feli

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Avoid wot downshifts and don't do top speed runs of 130mph +, and you will be fine.

by 130mph do you mean the smaller numbers on the speedometer?