Pinion nut

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

12vrunner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
On my 16 ram with 4500 miles i have had two really hard clunks. Its like the rear end wanted to lock up. It always had a little clunk which i assumed is normal from what i read which never bothered me. Figured it was the nature of the beast. But the two major clunks happened on a decel at about 30 to 40 mph and trans was for sure warm enough. But seems to be in the rear end. Was thinking pinion nut if anyone had them come loose on these years i know early years had a recall. I do also notice if i **** with with buttons it seems good just when in fully auto like its surging for a gear sometimes or seems like a clutch is slipping. Well just looking for any input on were to start. And to be honest i dont do dealers lol.

pickupman66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
IMO, if it were the pinion nut backing out , you will have whine in the gears before a clunk as the pinion gear would be out of allignment to the ring. most of those that failed did so in catastrophic manner too coming off and grenading the rear end. I woudl check Universal joint and such but you will feel play in that at most speeds I do belive.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
On my 16 ram with 4500 miles i have had two really hard clunks. Its like the rear end wanted to lock up. It always had a little clunk which i assumed is normal from what i read which never bothered me. Figured it was the nature of the beast. But the two major clunks happened on a decel at about 30 to 40 mph and trans was for sure warm enough. But seems to be in the rear end. Was thinking pinion nut if anyone had them come loose on these years i know early years had a recall. I do also notice if i **** with with buttons it seems good just when in fully auto like its surging for a gear sometimes or seems like a clutch is slipping. Well just looking for any input on were to start. And to be honest i dont do dealers lol.

Take a look at the slip joint in the driveshaft.It's been known to have a lack of grease on the splines,and will hang up,and give you a clunk when it releases and slides.It happens most on decal and again when you leave from a stop.

avantiguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
The truck is under warranty, swallow hard and take it in to be fixed. Whether you do dealers or not is irrelevant unless you like spending money when you don't need to.

OP
OP
12vrunner

12vrunner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
According to the slip yoke what shall be done. Do i remove the boot im guessing got to cut the boot clamps havent looked to hard. And do i need to seperate the spline to grease it up. Or do i just grease right up on it. And dealer is a negative already had enough bad experiences. Plus with my mods no telling what they would do lol.