Please explain MDS vs Eco?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

02blkram47

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm a little confused, I've read here on this forum that when the eco light comes on that does not mean the MDS has been activated. However every time the eco light comes on I hear the engine bog down and make that sound receive knows. Also I just watched a video on YouTube that showed how MDS operates as at the end of the video it asked the question " so how do you know when MDS is functioning properly?" It answered the question with this statement " the eco light will show on the dash" so what's the deal, is eco indicating MDS or not?

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

jwheeler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The set conditions for the eco light and the mds are very similar. But the eco light does not mean the mds is active and if the light is off, it doesn't mean the the mds is off. The light just lets you know that you are driving in an economical way. This can be seen when driving with a scan tool so that you actually have an indicator of when the mds is active and not just going by ear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
02blkram47

02blkram47

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The set conditions for the eco light and the mds are very similar. But the eco light does not mean the mds is active and if the light is off, it doesn't mean the the mds is off. The light just lets you know that you are driving in an economical way. This can be seen when driving with a scan tool so that you actually have an indicator of when the mds is active and not just going by ear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks, so with this logic I should be able to drive with the Eco light on and not feel the drone of the MDS? That has yet to happen for me.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

VB712

Maxi_built
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Is it safe to have MDS turned off via tuner for good?