Poll And Discuss... Turning Off MDS For Long Trip...

Which Is Better For The Engine?

• Turn It Off

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Leave It On

Votes: 5 35.7%
  • Doesn't Matter, It's Designed To Work

Votes: 6 42.9%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Murphy Slaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Bighorn 4X4 Crew
Engine
This is about engine longevity, NOT gas mileage. I'm curious what brighter minds think.

On a 5 hour Cruise Control trip down I-55 in Mississippi, or a 10 hour ride across I-10 in Texas, which would be better for getting lubrication where it needs to be, and getting maximum miles out of a Hemi?

Or does it matter?

This is about a stock engine, turning it off via the gear buttons.

BrianandChrissy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 big horn crew cab
Engine
5.7 hemi, vararam CAI
MDS shuts the fuel off to those 4 cylinders, not the oil lubrication. Those cylinders continue to rotate as its impossible to stop them. If i was you, and you plan on leaving the engine stock...i would let MDS engage, and let the next gen engine management do its job.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
i voted to leave it on

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Im sure over the past decade the MDS Hemi has been out Chrysler has a good idea its ok for the engine. Remember its all still rotating, its still getting oil, and when the cylinders hit a certain temp it turns them back on to keep the block average across to prevent warping.

Let it ride, it has a job to do that they have spent likely millions to get right. Id let it do what it needs to do.

I cant think of any negatives to disabling it other than fuel, but in my 4x4 I get 20mpg on my commute so Ill let it do its job.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
This is about engine longevity, NOT gas mileage. I'm curious what brighter minds think.

On a 5 hour Cruise Control trip down I-55 in Mississippi, or a 10 hour ride across I-10 in Texas, which would be better for getting lubrication where it needs to be, and getting maximum miles out of a Hemi?

Or does it matter?

This is about a stock engine, turning it off via the gear buttons.

murphy, imho, from strictly a lubrication stand point, on or off won't make a difference. engine longevity will neither be enhanced or shortened.

powderbrad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Depends how fast you drive highway.
If 70+ it won't come on anyways so leave it as is

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
If you turn it off with tuner better, but if you have a lead foot I would leave it on.

DoubleB223

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 QC
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just drove from KY to SC without MDS. The gas mileage did suffer a little but because of the headers and y pipe my tune had to stay. I did down grade to the mph tune on my Diablosport intune i2 and that had helped with the shifting !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tsielski

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I took a 355 mile round trip this past weekend and turned MDS off (with the gear selector paddle switches), and was surprised to get ~ 2mpg better than my best with the MDS normally engaged. And I didn't alter my driving style at all; 70 - 75 mph, sometimes a bit more, and didn't baby the throttle when passing. Since the truck is smoother, on and off throttle, from now on, first thing I do is turn the MDS off after putting it in drive.
Truck is stock w/ 3.92 gears.

shane1981

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
ive been running without mds since my truck had 500 miles on it. im full bolt on jay greene custom tune 93 octane tune 8 speed 3.92 and get 18 in the city and 24 on the hwy so im fine without mds . unless your on a long trip thats mostly flat i cant see mds helping all that much i just took a 12 hr round trip in a 8 speed 3.21 bone stock truck and only averaged 20 on the hwy according to the dash

tuned by jay greene

Last edited:

DoubleB223

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 QC
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I need to get a custom tune, all I have is the can tunes that come on the diablosport intune i2. So I could be talking out of my ass. But I just put the stock tune back on and was getting better MPG. So idk!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

00buck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My wife drive a 2016 5.7 Laramie Longhorn and we never see a message about it slipping into "Eco" or MDS mode.

Is there a chance it isn't turned on on her truck or does a message not apply?

I can feel something "change" when going over an overpass, but it doesn't feel like it's downshifting.
Thx

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Cmsharp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You have to check your settings and turn on the notification to see when your going into eco mode.