Ported throttle body benefits

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

12Ram86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey everybody,

Just joined ram forum and have a question. I've got a 2012 Ram 5.7 with an S&B intake and Aero Turbine true duals. I'm planning on getting a Diablo tuner, 180 tstat, and catch can real soon. Would I benefit at all from a ported throttle body (85mm or 87mm) to go along with these upcoming mods? Would the gains, if any, justify spending $300-350 on one?

Thanks in advance!

Diminus

Reaction score
Labrador City, Newfoundland and Labrador Canada
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
from what i have read the 85mm is for just a intake and exhaust setup, but with a tuner and other bolt ons the 87mm. makes a difference , im sure someone will chime in on this very soon to help you out, i am also ordering the 87mm in the next coulple weeks and a tuner soon after, cant wait!, also welcome to ramforum

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
For a 2012 unless you are going to add headers, the 85mm is enough. If you plan on headers you'll want to shuck out the extra dough for the 87mm.

For the 2013, just go with the 87mm.

Questions? PM one of the preferred vendors with performance in their names.

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
As Casper said, with your current mods, the 85mm is perfect. If you see yourself adding headers in the future, then I would go for the 87mm. There is no downside to running the 87mm without headers, but you will not see its full potential until the headers are installed. All that extra air coming in will only help if it is going out just as easily.

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
^ Agreed.
I've said in other posts, a PTB is a good mod as part of a "bigger picture" host of mods. By itself you won't likely notice any difference.
You can improve the performance of a PTB by doing a couple things; polishing the interior, knife-edging the plate and port matching it to the intake manifold. I don't know why you'd spend the $$ and not bother with these others; anyone with an 87mm needs to open the butterfly plate and have a feel how much intake manifold is now presenting itself to incoming airflow. Just common sense which is not widely discussed for some reason, and is CRAZY why not IMO.
You spend $300+, go spend another $5 on some wet sandpaper and take a couple hours to improve it.

Attachments

• Knife edged_polished TB.jpg
    Knife edged_polished TB.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 116
Last edited: