Post you fixes for Hemi lifter tick

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Any oils or oil additives that have helped your Hemi tick, post them up. Any other fixes for lifter tick?

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Or anything that didn't work...

bouf0010

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Royal purple helped some, redline made it disappear :) well as much as it could with headers.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk

Razzaa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have only done 1 oil change so far and I used Mobile1. I pixked Mobile1 because it was readily available to me at the time. Needless to say I wish I would have done more research. My tick is worse. I am very interested to see what people post in this topic. I will be watching carefully.

bouf0010

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have only done 1 oil change so far and I used Mobile1. I pixked Mobile1 because it was readily available to me at the time. Needless to say I wish I would have done more research. My tick is worse. I am very interested to see what people post in this topic. I will be watching carefully.

Mobil 1 did the exact same thing to me!

Razzaa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mobil 1 did the exact same thing to me!

I only have 3500 miles on my truck right now but I think I will be switching oil shortly. I am leaning towards redline based on the positive reviews I have found all over the net. As well as the high Moly content.

bouf0010

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yeah thats why I switched. I actually dumped the mobil 1 after 500 miles... waste of money I know but that tick really got under my skin. Made me 2nd guess my header install - it was so bad I thought they were leaking.

Razzaa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah thats why I switched. I actually dumped the mobil 1 after 500 miles... waste of money I know but that tick really got under my skin. Made me 2nd guess my header install - it was so bad I thought they were leaking.

That's hilarious. I was under my truck for days chexking my manifold bolts and entire exhaust system. I took it to the dealer twice and both times he said it was running great and the tick was normal. I looked at him and said get the **** outta here bud!!! He looked at me like I was crazy lmao

Arctic-Rodz

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Mobile 1 here, 6800 miles and still no sign of this "HEMI tick" you all speak of. (Knocks on wood)

Coop

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If anyone is going to try something, it might be helpful to take before and after videos.

gmzvip23

Reaction score
Ram Year
2k12
Engine
That's hilarious. I was under my truck for days chexking my manifold bolts and entire exhaust system. I took it to the dealer twice and both times he said it was running great and the tick was normal. I looked at him and said get the **** outta here bud!!! He looked at me like I was crazy lmao

these trucks sound like tractors some times lol

DohCanadian

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just changed from whatever oil was in it stock to Royal Purple. Didn't get a chance to listen to results as I flew up for work the day after but i'll give it a good listen next week and see if it sounds any quieter. From what I've read RP is supposed to help a ton with the tick.

craigsez

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have used rp and what ever the dealer uses(castrol i think)..My 1st change was with dealer,2nd was r/p at a local shop with a different than basic filter and the 3rd was back to dealer...I have 37000 km(almost 25000 mi)and the only time i hear a tick is on a cold start up..

hemihustlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Pennzoil platinum knocked that tick out of the park! But next summer im going to try and go redline!

LovMyRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 QCSB Black Edition, 2014 RCSB.
Engine
Why do people try and fix what's not broken? Engines make noise, and the typical "tick" of a modern car, especially the hemi motor should be of no concern. Unless otherwise over excessive noise is heard.

bouf0010

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Why do people try and fix what's not broken? Engines make noise, and the typical "tick" of a modern car, especially the hemi motor should be of no concern. Unless otherwise over excessive noise is heard.

I guess you havent had "the tick" lol

LovMyRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 QCSB Black Edition, 2014 RCSB.
Engine
I guess you havent had "the tick" lol

It was clearly audible in my truck after a slight break in. Slightly still noticeable on a cold morning and I run Mobil 1. I'll be switching to another oil just wanted to get the synthetic started. I've just learned to accept it as it's not a concern so to speak.

TXd150

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My new truck (2014 Ram Laramie) has less than 1000 miles and I haven't heard the hemi tick yet. I'm well aware of the sound because my 2011 Challenger R/T had it and it drove me crazy. It was worst when I started the engine after sitting for awhile. It would take several minutes to go away and didn't sound healthy at all. I've heard the "it's normal" argument and I don't think that's completely true. I don't think any real long term study has been done on a serious ticking engine. It would take tearing down the engine to examine all the related parts and document wear and failures if any. It seems Chrysler pretends that it doesn't exist and if anyone admits it does they say its normal. I know what a normal modern engine sounds like,there is a ticking noise associated with fuel injection. I had a 2001 Trans Am that always made that ticking noise. The fact that the Hemi Tick sounds louder at start up then quiets down or goes away makes me believe its a lubrication problem along with things loosening up after the engine reaches proper temperature. It's enough to concern anyone who has paid what these vehicles cost and plan to keep them long term. I've heard horror stories of owners fighting with Chrysler to agree to repairs on these trucks. Then again they readily agreed to replace bad heads on Jeep Wranglers a couple years ago. We love our trucks, we want to believe we bought reliability along with the great looks and performance.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963