Post you fixes for Hemi lifter tick

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

03MopaRamman

RAM SPORT / 18 SRT
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 (2003 Forgottens SOLD and 2014 SOLD)
Engine
Hemi 5.7 (392 Hemi) 86 Ford .308 HO Roller
Now these are third Gen Comments but assuming the Heads design is very similar on the newer 09 Plus Motors.

Experiences with my MDS (5W20) Hemi with Crazy Spartan and 6.1 Rods

Synthetic Mobil One with Lucas Oil Stabilizer = Tickety-Tick
Synthetic Royal Purple with Lucas Synthetic Stabilizer = Tick-Tick
Custom Exhaust Push Rods added (.785) and Synthetic Red Line = tik.......tik

Now on the Non MDS (5W30) Truck the Tick is almost Non existant except for that and some Old Age Noises on Real Cold Starts. To Note regarding Valve Train Parts is that I have noticed considerable wear in the ends of the push rods (Oblong Rounding of the Tips That go into the upper Rails) after about 135K Miles so I replaced all 16 of them. Two Cams later and a few rod length switches I have noticed that same type of wear is starting again on the newer rods at about 160 K miles so I am going to keep an eye on it and can see I will eventually need to replace all 4 rails and pushrods again as it seems the Rails being worn inside the "Ball" is not getting any better. To put into perspective the rails on my Hemi Car at 40 K Miles where still perfect. So there is eventual wear up top where the oil comes out the top of the push-rod in contact with the rail. I did find that the Motor ran smoother after I changed out my valve seals and plugs at 160K Miles as well. I no longer need to add any Oil between Change Intervals.

Last edited:

CapeRR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
These engines are inherently noisy......all engines make noise. I had a GMC Canyon for 5 years before I got my new to me Ram two months ago and that sounded like a tractor on cold winter morning starts but never had a problem with it. Different types of synthetics didn't make much of a difference either.
My Ram doesn't sound any different from all the others I've heard.

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Traded my 2011 in because of the tick. My 14 is quiet so far.

Dude that blows, but my tick was so bad I was thinking the same thing, and I only had around 2k miles on it too. I'm glad I found something. Funny you still bought a Dodge, lol?

Synthetic Mobil One with Lucas Oil Stabilizer = Tickety-Tick
Synthetic Royal Purple with Lucas Synthetic Stabilizer = Tick-Tick
Custom Exhaust Push Rods added (.785) and Synthetic Red Line = tik.......tik

Am I reading this right? Your engine ticked less with redline? Just curious why you choose redline? Did it go from a tick to a normal engine cadence or is it still ticking in your mind? IMO the Hemi has an engine cadence similar to a tick, but we all know when something isn't right. I really need to post up the sounds of my engine, I am just not tech savvy.

Ceace

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have been reading posts about the "tick". Is this the same tick I hear at startup that goes away after I let the engine run for like one minute? If so, it doesn't bother me as long as I have a minute to spare before I pull off.

Sent from my SCH-L710 using Tapatalk

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
I don't hear much in the engine bay over the gravel sound of the striaght cut gear whine of the supercharger, but before I deleted the MDS and was using RP there was no tick to be heard. Ran RP in the sprayed top-end built '07 with no issues either.

03MopaRamman

RAM SPORT / 18 SRT
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Dude that blows, but my tick was so bad I was thinking the same thing, and I only had around 2k miles on it too. I'm glad I found something. Funny you still bought a Dodge, lol?

Am I reading this right? Your engine ticked less with redline? Just curious why you choose redline? Did it go from a tick to a normal engine cadence or is it still ticking in your mind? IMO the Hemi has an engine cadence similar to a tick, but we all know when something isn't right. I really need to post up the sounds of my engine, I am just not tech savvy.

Chose Redline after I read your comments about the moly content and what that does. The valve train was noisey after the cam install and you can hear the lifters/rails so mabye it isn't a tick. Royal purple with the Lucas made it quieter compared to the Castrol I tried first. I wanted to try an oil without the Lucas and at same time got the custom rods for the exhaust side installed on recommendation from Inertia. So i now find it even quieter and feel better with the redline as the car sits parked for 5 months straight. I am pulling the motor for another that runs on 0w40 Rotella T6 (same grade as the 6.4's) in the spring. Thanks for the previous

Last edited:

Cowboy345

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Penzoil, 15,000 miles no tick. Not say I recommend this but my dad had a jeep 100,*** miles on it and I know it's not a hemi but sometimes at start up u could hear ever valve and lifter in ratle and tick and he put something called slick 50 in and sure enough it ran great and quiet after that.

CKH

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
The tick has been discussed on forums for hemi LX cars for a long time. It has to do with lifter preload and the MDS lifter design. It is suspected that the orientation of the lifters also contributes to it since the lifters sit almost horizontal in the block.

Folks that install cam/heads and delete MDS by using 6.1 hemi lifters experience almost no Tick.

I have a Spartan Plus cam and Inertia Motorsports heads in my 2006 Charger Daytona with MDS still active. The tick makes my car sound like a sewing machine, especially with the headers and high flow cats. The noise resonates through the headers and cats a lot.

After having my heads milled .020, the tick was greatly reduced, which kind of confirms the lifter preload as being part of the problem since I didn't change pushrods when I had them milled.

I have tried several different brands of synthetic oils as well. In my opinion, the Penzoil Platinum makes the tick in my car less noticeable than other oils.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
My vote goes with incorrect lifter pre-load or marginal lifter(s). I haven't experienced the tick on my 03 and have used Mobil 1 since new.

Reactions: CKH

03MopaRamman

RAM SPORT / 18 SRT
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sewing Machine Thats it! Oh and Inertia Products.....Awesome.

Reactions: CKH

TheRudeDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Okay, so based on what I'm reading. We can toss out having a high moly content since Pennzoil contains a significant less amount of moly than Red Line and it's eliminating the tick?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Okay, so based on what I'm reading. We can toss out having a high moly content since Pennzoil contains a significant less amount of moly than Red Line and it's eliminating the tick?

If you are going to toss it somewhere, toss it my way, I will take all the Moly I can get.

A lot of good information is coming in this thread keep it coming.

Lhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Predator 4x4 Dually & 2012 Ram Puinsher R/T 1 of 1
Engine
6.7 Cummins Turbo & Hemi 5.7
This is how I fixed it

:idiot: :grd: Royal Purple

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 122

Spyder5627

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
when i called my dealer to tell him about the ticking noise from my engine i told him it was so bad that my truck sounded like a diesel truck... he responded me that the sound i was hearing was "the hemi tick" and that it was normal and every hemi engine was doing that sound because of the lifters...

i asked him if changing my oil for royal purple could help eliminate the tick and he said " it won't do anything because hemi engines have electronic lifters"...

is this a warranty issue?

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
when i called my dealer to tell him about the ticking noise from my engine i told him it was so bad that my truck sounded like a diesel truck... he responded me that the sound i was hearing was "the hemi tick" and that it was normal and every hemi engine was doing that sound because of the lifters...

i asked him if changing my oil for royal purple could help eliminate the tick and he said " it won't do anything because hemi engines have electronic lifters"...

That is a perfect example why I don't go to the dealer!

bouf0010

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That is a perfect example why I don't go to the dealer!

exactly, dont bother with the dealer till the engine light is on or the tow truck is taking it there lol

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
" it won't do anything because hemi engines have electronic lifters"...

They probably wont fix it until it stops running. 5 guys including me fixed their tick just by switching to Redline, and several others have fixed theirs with different oils as well, so how would this be possible? The lifters are dry at start up, some oils have features that leave a film of protection when the oil is not there. it seams as if most lifter tick only happens at startup, and at least lessons as the oil lubes them. I would try different oils at a minimum, you have nothing to loose as your truck needs oil anyway. Also, changing oils has not worked in some cases, but at least you will know you tried. I am glad I did.

RAMTRPR

"Enjoy The Little Things"
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
https://vimeo.com/191983870

2009 Ram 1500 5.7l - Shorty Headers - Stock Cats - Borla ATAK crate muffler - Turn down on end of muffler.

Mobil-1 with 1qt Marvel Mystery Oil. I have to get a driving video because this thing sounds like the engine is going to blow up on me :). Oh yeah 200k on motor :)

Headers just installed 1week ago when 4 broken manifold bolts were found.

Lifters? Exhaust Leak? Something else?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

vgoodson91

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
https://vimeo.com/191983870

2009 Ram 1500 5.7l - Shorty Headers - Stock Cats - Borla ATAK crate muffler - Turn down on end of muffler.

Mobil-1 with 1qt Marvel Mystery Oil. I have to get a driving video because this thing sounds like the engine is going to blow up on me :). Oh yeah 200k on motor :)

Headers just installed 1week ago when 4 broken manifold bolts were found.

Lifters? Exhaust Leak? Something else?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

That sounds like an exhaust leak to me. That is very much a different sound than the tick I have. And mine is only from startup until the engine warms up or gets "lubricated" by the oil circulating around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk