Prevalent ticking issue.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

reddevil78

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 he I
First off everyone knows about the "Hemi tick" and what not. I took my truck in last week on Tuesday to the dealership didn't get it back the following Friday. There response to me was "we could not replicate the issue, more than likely it is the normal noise these hemis tend to make.
My next step to help myself is switch from penn platinum and go to redline 5w20 and a RP filter just like hear Burla recommend a lot. https://vimeo.com/198368996Going to this extent I hope it fixes my problem or at least tones it done a good amount. It is so frustrating that I have had people mistake my truck for a diesel I'm hoping they didn't know any better.

I have a couple of videos so y'all can bounce some ideas back to me of possibly what could it be. I'm thinking lifters but 3 dealership trips and "could not be replicated." https://vimeo.com/198368924

shane1981

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
my motor is quieter with Pennzoil ultra platinum 0w-40 and a can of mos2 than it ever was on redline and its a little cheaper. just another option for you

tuned by Jay Greene

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
It is a shame that most of these dealerships have mechanics more focused on taking smoke breaks then actually seriously focusing on finding the problem within this motor!!! It is so easy using the excuse they used! Why not be honest & tell the customer---->We were just to dam lazy to tear into your motor! We were scared to what we might actually find & have to work harder to actually repair the actual issue!

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Brother give it 500 miles when you switch to Redline, I cannot tell you how many guys tick Redline with a royal purple filter has fixed including mine. Going to a heavier oil likely wouldn't work, you need an elemental fix to that problem. Do me a favor and report in the syn thread if it worked or not.

That is how my Hemi tick sounded, but I also hear a swishing sound. It could just be the mic, but be sure to eliminate the exhaust bolts before spending Redline money. I used to have my own suggestion for finding exhaust issue, but lately I hear the best way. Get a bit of one inch hose and put it up to your ear, and hit the other end to all of the exhaust bolts. GL

Reactions: U&A
OP
OP
reddevil78

reddevil78

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 he I
I totally agree with you Syn I just think they didn't wanna add more work to their plates. I still have warranty so I'm just gonna go the redline this next oil change like Burla said. If this thing throws a rod or lifter I'm gonna go throw it on there faces so they can deal with it. I have all my past service records it's taken nothing but penn platinum 5w20 every 5k miles and new mopar oil filters.

JasonK94Z

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
First off everyone knows about the "Hemi tick" and what not. I took my truck in last week on Tuesday to the dealership didn't get it back the following Friday. There response to me was "we could not replicate the issue, more than likely it is the normal noise these hemis tend to make.
My next step to help myself is switch from penn platinum and go to redline 5w20 and a RP filter just like hear Burla recommend a lot. https://vimeo.com/198368996Going to this extent I hope it fixes my problem or at least tones it done a good amount. It is so frustrating that I have had people mistake my truck for a diesel I'm hoping they didn't know any better.

I have a couple of videos so y'all can bounce some ideas back to me of possibly what could it be. I'm thinking lifters but 3 dealership trips and "could not be replicated." https://vimeo.com/198368924

Sounds just like my truck from day one. Exactly like it. Kinda that chirping sound in there.

My latest is now a very audible ticking like a bad exhaust leak.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
reddevil78

reddevil78

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 he I
Sounds just like my truck from day one. Exactly like it. Kinda that chirping sound in there.

My latest is now a very audible ticking like a bad exhaust leak.

What oil have you been using by any chance? My truck is a 2014 with 32k miles and it started doing the noise about a month I had it still on the same oil the dealership handed to me with.

JasonK94Z

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What oil have you been using by any chance? My truck is a 2014 with 32k miles and it started doing the noise about a month I had it still on the same oil the dealership handed to me with.

Penzoil Platinum. 5w-20 at first, then changed to 5w-30 at 35k miles. Now at 40k miles and used 5w-30 again. The 5w-30 quiets it down some.

StoneDude76

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I have developed the same sound after I took all my mods off. I had a 170* thermostat and ran a 93 octane Hemifever custom tune. My trucks oil ran about 180* to190 *. Now it runs at 204* to 210* and knocks when up to temperature. So I didn't have the knock when it ran cooler so I believe it's how thin the 5w20 is.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

customcarz973

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Im running Amsoil Signature series , ticking went away. 2nd ram 4th mopar, all had the same tick, all got the same treatment :)

Jsimon34

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've got a similar problem, but mine sounds more like an engine running out of gas type sound.... and it's only every now and then... described it to numerous shops, including the dealer, and even took it to the dealer while it was doing it, but it stopped as soon as I got the tech out to listen to it....you can hear the "knocking" type sound a few seconds into the recording... only thing I've pinned down (somewhat) is it seems to only do it when the ac is running. I'm obviously not outside able to listen all the time, so not sure. Wouldn't let me upload the sound.... I'll keep trying..... keeps saying invalid file

OP
OP
reddevil78

reddevil78

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 he I
Well I made the switch just changed my oil with a royal purple oil filter 10-48 and redline 5w20. When I first started the truck it seemed to knock a bit harder or louder you could say I let it sit up to operating temps and it seems to be a lot smoother. The knock smoothed out a good load too, it was faint but still noticeable. I'm going to run it about 2 gas tanks which is about 600 miles for me and report back just how our buddy Burla says. I'll keep my fingers crossed for no more ticking! [emoji122]

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

Man, your experience is JUST like mine was a couple years ago. Brought it to the dealer 3 times and all three times they said "couldn't duplicate the noise". I then paid a trusted mechanic to listen to it once in the summer and once in the winter. I watched him both times use a stethoscope and probe all over the block and he even said its nothing to worry about.

So then I tried several different oils. Pennzoil Yellow, Pennzoil Platinum, Amsoil OE, Amsoil SS, Redline, all in 5w20. Pennzoil Platinum was the absolute worst sounding. Redline was by far the quietest and Amsoil SS was a close second. I then tried a mix of 5w20/30wt Amsoil SS and it was a little better. Then tried straight 5w30 Amsoil SS and it was better than most but not quite as quiet as Redline. Currently I'm running Redline 0w30 and its definitely the quietest its ever been. I will never run a 20wt oil in my Hemi again.

However that rythmic chirping noise you have is still very pronounced in my Hemi. I ran an oil analysis on a Pennzoil Yellow run and a Redline 5w20 run and neither showed an alarming amount of wear metals. So at this point after spending more money than I want to count on experimenting with oil and having my mechanic and the dealer say nothing is wrong, I'm pretty sure its the nature of these engines unfortunatly. With that said my Hemi is most definitely quieter on 0/5w30 than it ever was on 5w20. Some Hemi's like SyN's are quiet from the factory. I would love to tear down a noisy Hemi and a quiet Hemi side by side to see what the differences are.

And like Burla said, give that Redline 500-1000 miles to see if it quiets things down at all.

OP
OP
reddevil78

reddevil78

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 he I
Thanks hemi, I'm gonna wait it out but so far it's getting quieter. I'm coming to think it's something I'm gonna have to live with.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I'm coming to think it's something I'm gonna have to live with.

My money is that you wont. I thought the same as you, and about 500 miles it just vanished like that, **** it was gone. If it was just me I'd day hit or miss, but many guys have had the tick quieted. How many miles you in?

OP
OP
reddevil78

reddevil78

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 he I
My money is that you wont. I thought the same as you, and about 500 miles it just vanished like that, **** it was gone. If it was just me I'd day hit or miss, but many guys have had the tick quieted. How many miles you in?

Around 100miles since 12pm central time when I changed the oil

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
It takes a few heat cycles for moly to plate, I would be more surprised if it worked in less then 500 miles.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
bump for any update

OP
OP
reddevil78

reddevil78

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 he I
Sorry guys iv been busy with school and getting the hogs ready for our county stock show. Thanks Burla for reminding me. Well yesterday was actually the first day I didn't hear my knock at all I even looked at the miles on the oil change and it read 638 miles. The reason I noticed it because I took the truck to a car wash to give it a rinse down and i left it on it was the quietest iv had the motor sound and guess what!!! There was no knocking!
This morning I started her up it was 50 degrees out side and the knock was there but not as pronounced. It almost sounded like it wanted to go away but it was there still this morning. Maybe if I let the truck get up to operating temps it probably would have sounded like it did last night at the car wash. My morning drive to work is literally a minute and a half so the temps didn't get too far.
So I still have hope today after I get out of work do some errands it'll sound like it did last night again! I'm liking this oil/filter set up! On the side note the trucks running pretty smooth on the Redline oil.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lasse452