Problem with cruise control

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

blu3s94

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2015 ram 1500 crew cab 4wd, the cruise control works sometimes and others doesnt. What I mean by this is ill be driving down the road and sometimes when you click on nothing will happen, sometimes ill click it 1000 times and then it starts working. Theres no reason I can figure out why it will or wont work at times. I have taken it to the dealer twice and of course both times it happened to work for them, so they did nothing. They suggest next time its not working to bring it in. Not convenient at all and with my luck it would probabally start working for them when I got there. Anyone have this problem and a fix to it??

CF_Smith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I have no idea what it is, but from my personal experience, when something intermittently goes wrong it is best to video as much of the problem as possible, and show the dealer the video. Sometimes that helps them understand/believe you.

Reverse

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2015 ram 1500 crew cab 4wd, the cruise control works sometimes and others doesnt. What I mean by this is ill be driving down the road and sometimes when you click on nothing will happen, sometimes ill click it 1000 times and then it starts working. Theres no reason I can figure out why it will or wont work at times. I have taken it to the dealer twice and of course both times it happened to work for them, so they did nothing. They suggest next time its not working to bring it in. Not convenient at all and with my luck it would probabally start working for them when I got there. Anyone have this problem and a fix to it??

We have two Rams and a Challenger, and they all do that. Pretty common problem, but hard to get fixed because it always works fine when you get to the dealer :p

The problem usually resolves itself after driving for a while. In my experience, it happened most often after the vehicle had sat in the sun for a while, so maybe the heat expands the buttons and makes them jam within the steering wheel?

thoss29

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 3500 "Black Top" Edition 6.4L
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 2013 didn't do it once, I've noticed my 2015 has done the same thing 3 times in the 2 weeks I've owned it. Always shut the cruise "off" then back on and it works fine...

OP
OP
B

blu3s94

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 2013 didn't do it once, I've noticed my 2015 has done the same thing 3 times in the 2 weeks I've owned it. Always shut the cruise "off" then back on and it works fine...
Mines doing it just about every other day, but usually if I press it every few miles going down the road it magically starts working.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Andy578

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Outdoorsman
Engine
Hemi 5.7
mine did it for a bit then suddenly started working fine. have not tried it in months now tho so it may be acting up again, i'll find out saturday on my 16 hour drive

OP
OP
B

blu3s94

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
mine did it for a bit then suddenly started working fine. have not tried it in months now tho so it may be acting up again, i'll find out saturday on my 16 hour drive
Seems like it's an issue for quite a few people then. Searching google came up with other 4th gens having the same problem but I havent seen anyone that has found a fix...

SWsabre

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My 2015 did the same thing. The dealer replaced the switch in the steering wheel and has worked perfectly since then.

CF_Smith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Sounds like a recall in the making!

EDIT: My 2016 has not showed this problem, neither did my 2014 when I had it. I wonder if its isolated to 2015's?

ironhead3fan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
They had to replace the switch on the steering wheel on mine.

satxwy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
I have a 2015 and have never had this problem. Maybe I'm a lucky one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marlo Mike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It might be weird, but as soon as I got my recalls taken care of(UConnect, Side Curtain Airbag, and seatbelt tensioner), my cruise control works perfectly fine now.

Andy578

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Outdoorsman
Engine
Hemi 5.7
went into the dealer for an oil change the other day and remembered this thread so i tried my cruise control on the way there. first try it came on then i turned it off and it wouldn't come on again. mentioned it to the dealer and they are ordering a new switch which goes in Monday. oddly enough since i left the dealer it's worked every single time i've tried it, guessing it didn't work for the dealer tho or they wouldn't have ordered a switch

also off topic but the dealer dinged my for diff fluid change while i was there. almost $400 just for the fluid + 2 hours labour, what a rip

dearchristopher

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What do you mean by this?

a failing neutral safety switch sometimes makes the cruise control act goofy. not saying this is your problem but it's a possibility?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2014Hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine does that too. 2014. I gotta take it in.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk

BraveAir

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the same problem with 2015 outdoorsman.. The quick fix while your driving,, hold the on button in and rub left and right.. There is a bad grounding in the switch.. The problem with doing this is you use the same button press to also turn cruise off so as your rubbing the switch the cruise also turns on and off.. It's a matter of catching it at the right time,, lol... Replace the buttons assy and problem solved.. :)

Kotta390

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 2014 has done it twice to me and it started working pretty quick the second time it happened but the first time I ended up pulling over and restarting the truck to get it to work. If it happens again I'll get video.

CLOUDL1GHT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins HO
My '12 has done this as well. The way I fixed it is replacing that button cluster. Like BraveAir said, if you don't want to do that or the dealer won't, just rub your finger back and forth while pressing the button.