Problem with my ram!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Usmarinecorps05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 v8
I purchased a 2012 ram 1500 larime longhorn with 47000 miles. A week after purchasing it, i heard a tick in the engine so i returned it to the dealer. They said it was a manifold and agreed to fix it. 2 days after receiving my truck, the check engine light came one and the truck cab started to shake when it was idling. I brought it to autozone and they hooked it up to the computer and it read cylinder 5 misfire. I went straight back to the dealership pissed off and demanded they fix the probem. A few days later the dealer called and said its the heads that are bad on the truck and they will fix the problem. Has anyone been through this before???? What caused the heads to go bad??? Should i keep the truck since they are puttin new heads??? With the heads being bad, did it affect any other problems in the truck??

gremlinsteve

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Depends on what they mean by the heads are bad
You will need to clarify what's bad

It could have dropped a valve
A valve seat could have dropped
A spring break
Bent pushrods ect

It could have taken out that piston. Or damaged it
A manifold tick leading to a failure like this is unlikely btw

The DodgeFather

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Wow sorry to hear that .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

02blkram47

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I also purchased a 2011 Longhorn about a year ago with around 60k miles. Since buying it I've replaced the manifolds, control arms, and yes the heads.. In my case I believe the previous owner overheated the engine causing the heads issue. Because of my impulsive buy I didn't check the bed of the truck under the tonneau cover and didn't notice the holes in the bed that clearly showed her was towing a 5th wheel with a 1500. Also evident was he had timbrens on the suspension. Anyway, long story short.. Once fixed I still love the truck. Perhaps only because I bought the extended warranty so my costs have been minimal.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

PCT

2019 2500 6.4
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I purchased a 2012 ram 1500 larime longhorn with 47000 miles. A week after purchasing it, i heard a tick in the engine so i returned it to the dealer. They said it was a manifold and agreed to fix it. 2 days after receiving my truck, the check engine light came one and the truck cab started to shake when it was idling. I brought it to autozone and they hooked it up to the computer and it read cylinder 5 misfire. I went straight back to the dealership pissed off and demanded they fix the probem. A few days later the dealer called and said its the heads that are bad on the truck and they will fix the problem. Has anyone been through this before???? What caused the heads to go bad??? Should i keep the truck since they are puttin new heads??? With the heads being bad, did it affect any other problems in the truck??
At least there fixing it and not saying it's normal. If there is any eninge damage chances are they will find it once the head comes off. As for getting rid of it because it had a head job, if Chrysler is doing the head I would think it would be as good as gold.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's
A lot of people will trade a vehicle that has a variety of serious issues and the dealer will just hope someone will buy it and either not notice the problems for a long while or just wont bother to go back to them and complain. They will do the minimum amount of work to try and move the car off the lot. Hopefully they fix everything up for you now though and you can enjoy the truck. Generally these Rams are very reliable, especially in the drivetrain. Yours might have been abused as another post stated a few up. Buying used is always a gamble unfortunately.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
if they're going through the trouble of replacing the heads, i would think they are going to fix it correctly. i would keep it as there should be a warranty on the work and parts. Semper Fi !

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Yeah when you overheat the engine probably from heavy towing you can warp the heads. These 1500's aren't really for towing heavy even though they are rated for it. By chance did he have a 5th wheel in the bed? f the heads are replaced, the engine probably would be good to go. I wouldn't know what would be lurking in the tranny though? I would keep the truck though.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
F150 is due to get a diesel next year for this exact issue, people who want to tow with the lowest duty full sized.