Procharger Blower Causing Belt Slippage?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Gamester

Gamester

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
It's disappointing 8 psi is too much for the 6 rib. Guess I got spoiled by the Vortech jackshaft setup. Ran 13-16 psi for 7 years with nary a problem with the serp belt. However I did go with better tensioners. First the Dayco, then the Thump. Wasn't until I got greedy and went for 20 psi that the serps starting shredding instantly. 17-18 was only good for a few passes. Still believe I could've resolved it with an additional idler, but the new build was imminent, so didn't make sense to try. However I will say other than mechanical advantage, I didn't care much for that setup.

wink

I don't think it is too much for the 6 rib, I think it is just more of a tension issue. But yea, if the overdrive pulley fixes it, then one should have come with the Procharger kit...

bgray

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The Stage 2 kit is great, but really only needed for higher boost levels(which will require a built motor anyways).

I ditched the Stock belt from procharger, and run a GATES HD. Always had great luck with my other blowers. I had belt slip issues, belt wasn't tight enough. I called procharger on the issue, and they said the alignment marks on the tensioner sometimes leave it too loose. Word for word, they said tighten it until you feel like it is too tight. They require a **** load of tension. I did that, problem solved and has been perfect. 7-8psi.

The belt 100% will stretch, however the automatic tensioner SHOULD pick up the minimal slack, but might not be enough

OP
OP
Gamester

Gamester

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
The Stage 2 kit is great, but really only needed for higher boost levels(which will require a built motor anyways).

I ditched the Stock belt from procharger, and run a GATES HD. Always had great luck with my other blowers. I had belt slip issues, belt wasn't tight enough. I called procharger on the issue, and they said the alignment marks on the tensioner sometimes leave it too loose. Word for word, they said tighten it until you feel like it is too tight. They require a **** load of tension. I did that, problem solved and has been perfect. 7-8psi.

The belt 100% will stretch, however the automatic tensioner SHOULD pick up the minimal slack, but might not be enough

Good to know, thanks!

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't think it is too much for the 6 rib, I think it is just more of a tension issue. But yea, if the overdrive pulley fixes it, then one should have come with the Procharger kit...

It doesn't fix it..... I just came across this thread looking for a solution for the same problem. I have the 6% overdrive pulley from ATI. I couldn't fit the belt that came with the kit for the stock pulley at all. I bought a slightly longer belt.....I can't see any way I'm going to get that factory pulley intended belt on (2012). We set the tension like a normal belt and it slipped lie crazy....tightened it to the point where 2 mechanic friends said it was too tight, and it STILL slips.

With the overdrive pulley, I should be making close to 8lbs of boost. I am in the process of trying to get Sean (Hemifever) to tune my truck and when I put my foot down, It gets up to about 4lbs of boost and then trails off; and my AF gauge is all over the place. Can't get this thing dialed in till I fix that slippage issue, and there's no way this belt is getting tighter.

I'd hate to have to go to a cog since it's so pricey, as if the $6000+ USD I spent wasn't enough already. I'm thinking of seeing if I can get one of these continental belts, that claims to help fight against slippage to test with......that's where I am at.....maybe this belt is something for you guys to try as well before shelling out for a cog system.

https://static1.squarespace.com/sta...327_AFT_Elite+PolyV+Belts+Flyer_FA_LowRes.pdf

OP
OP
Gamester

Gamester

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
It doesn't fix it..... I just came across this thread looking for a solution for the same problem. I have the 6% overdrive pulley from ATI. I couldn't fit the belt that came with the kit for the stock pulley at all. I bought a slightly longer belt.....I can't see any way I'm going to get that factory pulley intended belt on (2012). We set the tension like a normal belt and it slipped lie crazy....tightened it to the point where 2 mechanic friends said it was too tight, and it STILL slips.

With the overdrive pulley, I should be making close to 8lbs of boost. I am in the process of trying to get Sean (Hemifever) to tune my truck and when I put my foot down, It gets up to about 4lbs of boost and then trails off; and my AF gauge is all over the place. Can't get this thing dialed in till I fix that slippage issue, and there's no way this belt is getting tighter.

I'd hate to have to go to a cog since it's so pricey, as if the $6000+ USD I spent wasn't enough already. I'm thinking of seeing if I can get one of these continental belts, that claims to help fight against slippage to test with......that's where I am at.....maybe this belt is something for you guys to try as well before shelling out for a cog system.

https://static1.squarespace.com/sta...327_AFT_Elite+PolyV+Belts+Flyer_FA_LowRes.pdf

Yea, procharger really should provided a fix for this with the kit. Mine's slipping really bad right now too, can't even make it over 5PSI at the moment. Makes me wonder how much they actually test their systems...

Anyways, I'm having a custom 15%OD balancer made and my speed shop guy, who has a lot of experience with these system, thinks it will fix it. I'll let you know the results; should be done within a couple weeks.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just called Procharger and they told me the belt, despite feeling absurdly tight tensioned, is probably just not tight enough and I need to concentrate on tensioning it as per the tension marks on the side and nothing more.

I'm already at the 1st line so I'm going to keep going a bit and try and get it 1/4 way between the 1st and 2nd line and see what happens.

OP
OP
Gamester

Gamester

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Yea, I think mine is at max tension already, belt probably started stretching and loosening at this point. If the OD pulley doesn't fix it, then I might have to get something like this and send Procharger the $1000 bill, lol...

ATI 3DHBB-003 09+ DODGE RAM STAGE 2 BRACKET BAG

Last edited:

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
I know mine was maxed out on the tension and it still slipped all the time which is why I did something about it. The Gates HD belt was the one with the best grip that I found and I could keep it around 11psi as long as I kept the engine RPM below 6100rpm.

OP
OP
Gamester

Gamester

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Yea, I'm hoping that just at the base 7-8 PSI I run, that my pulley changes and an HD belt will do it; certainly hope so anyways.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well I'll give you an update on mine: So on Procharger's instructions I went home and tried tightening the tensioner a bit......I didn't make it 1/2 a turn and I bent the 3/8" bolt for the tensioner!

A trip to home depot and a new bolt later, I moved the idler from the middle hole to the one on the inside for most tension and tried again.....I lined up the adjustment lines on the procharger to the 1st line - took it for a drive - slipped.

Tightened it about 1/2 way between 1st and 2nd line, test drove - slipped less, but still slipped.

Tightened it a little more, to the point where I was where I felt I could start bending the bolt, like I did the 1st - lines were about 3/4 past the 1st line, approaching the 2nd....finally a run with no slippage and I got about 8lbs of boost at full throttle w/ATI 6% overdrive pulley......so success - sort of....this belt is brand new and will stretch. I have absolutely no room for adjustment to make it any tighter.

I did not use the belt procharger sent me. I have read some of you guys able to use this belt with the 6% overdrive pulley, but there was no way in a million years I was going to get that belt on. Maybe I will see if I can find a belt between the one I am using and the one I was sent and see if that's a better fit.

Based on recommendations I've read here, I'll look into the gates belts.....anyway, hope my experience can help you guys a bit in some way.... my stuff is working now, but not a completely ideal setup.

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
Now you know my pain and what drove me to design my cog drive kit. No matter what you try and band-aid with the procharger bracket, once you want to make any more power than what they design their kit for it starts slipping. One thing I never tried was building a bracket tensioner that bolted between the bracket and further back on the head. I know I could flex the bracket by hand because it was so long and with as much tension as I was pulling on the belt it's possible that pulling the bracket back towards the rear could either keep it tight at higher rpm or at least eliminate the bracket flex.

I did change out that tensioner bolt for a higher grade after I bent my bolt like that as well.

OP
OP
Gamester

Gamester

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Yea, it is certainly a challenge to get this kind of thing to work properly. Procharger really should have sorted this out and sent something with the kit to address it. I would love to go cog, but I don't have "charonblk07" kind of money unfortunately :Insane:

I'll report back with results of a 15%OD pulley and Gates HD belt once we get everything to try out and test.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gamester

Gamester

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Just an update that the combination of a custom 15% overdrive balancer and a Carbinite coated blower pulley has seemed to resolve the slippage issue for me. In fact, I think it fixed it too well, my first WOT pull after the install hit 10PSI of boost on my boost cooler gauge and that is the highest I've ever seen it :gr_grin:

It has since stabilized to about 8-9PSI, which is where it should be, engine safety wise anyways. Going to try to get it dynoed this coming weekend and expecting around 530RWHP or so. I'll let you guys know the results.

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
That's about where the D1SC with the 3.55" pulley was with mine, hopefully it's a permanent solution for you.

OP
OP
Gamester

Gamester

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
That's about where the D1SC with the 3.55" pulley was with mine, hopefully it's a permanent solution for you.

Me too, got really tired of fighting so hard to get the HP I paid for. SC companies should have a solution within their kits for this issue as obviously it is a widespread issue across all modern vehicles. They should just include the stage 2 bracket and balancer in the kit or something; that would probably be the best "out of the box" solution.

Doing good so far though as it has maintained the 8-9 boost through a few days of rain and a strong weather/temperature shift, been in the upper 30's for a few days all of the sudden.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gamester

Gamester

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Holy cow, after the weather cleared up and dried up a bit yesterday; I actually saw a blimp of 11 PSI on a WOT take off. Man I hope I don't blow out these stock piston rings as that would certainly suck; starting to worry that I have too much boost now...

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
Do you have a single or dual nozzle water/**** kit and are you tuned for it or is it just there for supplemental cooling?

OP
OP
Gamester

Gamester

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Do you have a single or dual nozzle water/**** kit and are you tuned for it or is it just there for supplemental cooling?

It's the single nozzle that came with the stage 2 booster kit from snow performance and yes it was tuned to take advantage of the higher octane by my speed shop, but that was back when it was only making 7-8 PSI and slipping a lot at higher RPMs. Do you think I'll be ok, or is spikes of that much boost putting a high risk of damage to the stock rings?

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
It's the single nozzle that came with the stage 2 booster kit from snow performance and yes it was tuned to take advantage of the higher octane by my speed shop, but that was back when it was only making 7-8 PSI and slipping a lot at higher RPMs. Do you think I'll be ok, or is spikes of that much boost putting a high risk of damage to the stock rings?

Since it's tuned to use it a peak flow then I would be worried because you don't have any buffer anymore. You're running a lot more advance than without it. I'd seriously look at running a slightly larger pulley on the blower and keep the O/D pulley and see where your boosts sits. Ideally 10psi max on the stock pistons if you haven't increased the ring gap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk