Procharger Blower Causing Belt Slippage?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Gamester

Gamester

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Since it's tuned to use it a peak flow then I would be worried because you don't have any buffer anymore. You're running a lot more advance than without it. I'd seriously look at running a slightly larger pulley on the blower and keep the O/D pulley and see where your boosts sits. Ideally 10psi max on the stock pistons if you haven't increased the ring gap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yea, I'm probably going to the speed shop for dynoing this weekend and will mention this to them. Maybe we'll have to detune it a bit or something if it is actually hitting that high of PSI. The dyno setup they hook up more accurately reads the pressures, so we'll see what it shows there first.

Thanks

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
Are you reading your by your boost gauge or with the P-ratio? As long as your MAP sensor is properly scaled the P-ratio will be the most accurate. If you get the tune dialed in at that psi then enjoy it but be aware you're 100% dependent on the W/M mixture you tuned it on.

OP
OP
Gamester

Gamester

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Are you reading your by your boost gauge or with the P-ratio? As long as your MAP sensor is properly scaled the P-ratio will be the most accurate. If you get the tune dialed in at that psi then enjoy it but be aware you're 100% dependent on the W/M mixture you tuned it on.

Yea, I was just reading that off of the boost gauge/water-**** controller, but the system they hook up when dynoing, which I think is through HPTuner, shows all pressures in real time and more accurately, so we'll see if things need adjusted from there.

The truck is sure running super strong right now though and haven't had any issues surface yet. Just had one misfire code come up after the first time it hit the 10PSI, but that would happen every so often before the coated pulley anyways, so probably unrelated. I had the shop install all new colder spark plugs, the one you recommended to me a while back and hoped that would get rid of the random misfire codes, but they still come up occasionally, just not nearly as much, so it still was a big improvement.

wink

Beast Pilot
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Sport RCSB
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Johan told me to trust the MAP - BARO = PSI method over my boost gauge, or any other. So I glance at the gauge during a pass, but can see it in my log for any point in the pass with this method. You need to convert BARO to PSI if it's in inHg (inches of mercury). Just multiply by 0.491154.

wink

Boost_Example.jpg

OP
OP
Gamester

Gamester

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Yea, that looks a lot like the graph displayed when they read those pressures at my shop on the dyno, so we'll get a more accurate reading there. Just scheduled a visit for Saturday, so we'll give it a dyno run while monitoring everything to see where it is really at. Got my figures crossed that we can hit around 530RWHP now that the belt is not slipping anymore :waytogo:

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
The benefit of using P-ratio is it compensated for altitude changes since it cancels out in the ratio and you don't need to do the math (a lot fewer decimals) plus your enrichment tables use P/R as the y-axis so there's more direct reference to the P/R than to gauge manifold pressure. Multiply (P/R-1) x 14.7 (or whatever your local atmospheric pressure is) and you get gauge boost pressure. Both methods work to give you the gauge boost pressure and neither is better than the other just different ways to get the same answer.

If you're making more boost then you may need to go with an additional step colder plug but play that by ear and pull your plugs regularly to check gap, condition, and heat marks.

OP
OP
Gamester

Gamester

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
The benefit of using P-ratio is it compensated for altitude changes since it cancels out in the ratio and you don't need to do the math (a lot fewer decimals) plus your enrichment tables use P/R as the y-axis so there's more direct reference to the P/R than to gauge manifold pressure. Multiply (P/R-1) x 14.7 (or whatever your local atmospheric pressure is) and you get gauge boost pressure. Both methods work to give you the gauge boost pressure and neither is better than the other just different ways to get the same answer.

If you're making more boost then you may need to go with an additional step colder plug but play that by ear and pull your plugs regularly to check gap, condition, and heat marks.

Yea, I'm at 5000ft, so maybe that's why I haven't had any damage considering less octane is needed at higher elevations due to less air pressure in general. Maybe that's my saving grace, lol.

Then again, I thought I had the shop install a waste gate when they put in the Procharger kit that would release pressure if hit mare than 9 PSI or so, but if that was working, I shouldn't have seen that much PSI on my gauge, right?

Last edited:

wink

Beast Pilot
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Sport RCSB
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yea, that looks a lot like the graph displayed when they read those pressures at my shop on the dyno, so we'll get a more accurate reading there. Just scheduled a visit for Saturday, so we'll give it a dyno run while monitoring everything to see where it is really at. Got my figures crossed that we can hit around 530RWHP now that the belt is not slipping anymore :waytogo:

Very similar. It's a log from my Trinity.

Agreed, just posted for completeness. But I don't do the math anymore. I incorporated it into my pass viewer database app. It does it for me cause I'm lazy. LOL!

wink

PassView.jpg

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
You may need to change/play with the wastegate spring to get it to vent the exact pressure you want to limit it to.

Wink, if I ever start racing I might have to look into tracking my passes that way just to see what works and what doesn't.

Last edited:

wink

Beast Pilot
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Sport RCSB
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You may need to change/play with the wastegate spring to get it to vent the exact pressure you want to limit it to.

Wink, if I ever start racing I might have to look into tracking my passes that way just to see what works and what doesn't.

It's good info to have. I planned on doing more with the data, more notes, predictions, etc. but just haven't gotten around to it. Seems there's always something else that has to get done first...

wink

Boosted Motorsports

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Any updates on your belt slippage issues? I'm preparing for my ProCharger install and want to sort everything out before hand. Also what plugs are you guys finding works best with just the stock boost level of 7-8psi?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcquinn