Programmer without losing Warranty?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DODGEMANABC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Hey Guys, I have a 2017 Ram Laramie Crew Cab 4x4 with approx. 6000 miles on it. If I purchase an unlocked PCM and Programmer but replace with the original PCM if I have any warranty issues, can the dealer see the PCM has been removed? I would love to have a Programmer but I don't want to jeopardize my warranty. I appreciate your help!

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Seems to be a hit or miss situation and especially depends on what the warranty claim is for. Some dealerships are willing to look the other way and others aren't. If it's a high dollar amount claim the manufacturer will sometimes make the techs dig further and send them the info.

Another option would be the pedal commander.

If your interested let me know and we can set you up with a quote with your forum discount.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Firebird

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi
Depends on the dealer and your relationship with them.

bchap05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just tell them that you will give them 1 star reviews when the service review email comes out. They will basically give you a ******** for a perfect score

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The mileage on the ECU and the odometer will be different however I doubt they will ever check unless your warranty claim is really costly. Or you could do the right thing and pay for any specific damage the tuner may cause. IMHO it's all a matter of personal integrity.
Jay

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The mileage on the ECU and the odometer will be different however I doubt they will ever check unless your warranty claim is really costly. Or you could do the right thing and pay for any specific damage the tuner may cause. IMHO it's all a matter of personal integrity.
Jay

Except... If they find out, they will put up a fight with everything, not just the parts that may be affected by a tuner. We can quote all the federal laws we want, it wont just make them do the work without a long legal battle.

This is why I'm opting to not mess with my truck (max care warranty), other than the pedal commander.

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
At the end of the day it just comes down to your relationship with your dealership- or should I say the techs and the service writer...

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Ratket, that used to be true, but as stated, on costly repairs, fca Corp, will ask for stored info and any dicrepency will be found. The techs and service manager hands are tied.

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Hey Guys, I have a 2017 Ram Laramie Crew Cab 4x4 with approx. 6000 miles on it. If I purchase an unlocked PCM and Programmer but replace with the original PCM if I have any warranty issues, can the dealer see the PCM has been removed? I would love to have a Programmer but I don't want to jeopardize my warranty. I appreciate your help!
I understand your concern. The warranty on my 2012 expires at the end of October.
I do not have a tuner.
But then I'm a cranky old guy and don't need to spin tires--costs too much to replace them.

I am considering a Pedal Commander to take the lag out of my throttle response though.
:driver:

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I understand your concern. The warranty on my 2012 expires at the end of October.
I do not have a tuner.
But then I'm a cranky old guy and don't need to spin tires--costs too much to replace them.

I am considering a Pedal Commander to take the lag out of my throttle response though.
:driver:

It will, and you will love it. It took me 2 weeks with my truck (coming from a 2003 3rd Gen) to be fed up with the drive by wire in my new to me '15.