Question about changing the oil yourself

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jetsfan122

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Express Crew Cab White
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey everyone. I know there are a lot of people here who do their own oil changes. I want to start doing my own oil changes as well. When I was younger I used to do my own oil changes , so I'm familiar with the process. I don't have access to a lift, so I'm wondering for those of you that do change your own oil, do u guys use ramps or is there enough room underneath to do it without ramps ? It's been raining here , so I haven't been able to actually try and slide under the truck to check how much room there is. Also, if it's easier with a ramp, can anyone make any recommendations ? I've seen heavy duty plastic ones online, but am u sure of their reliability. Thanks in advance .

bhonshell37

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I have a 04 Ram 4wd. I have plenty of room underneath to place an oil pan and use a wrench.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

BlkZrx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500 SLT Std. cab
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I use a pair of plastic Rhino ramps for my 2500. Work great!

Sent from my LG-K540 using Tapatalk

Broyd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the Rhino ramps, 16,000 lbs rated. They are fine. They must be used on a hard level surface. Be very careful when driving up on them! Do not go past the center of the highest flat part. Stop and check!

This along with air suspension at off-road level 2 gives me enough room.

The pain is the filter location. I use a 1 gallon zip lock bag making sure the top of the bag is as high as the top of the filter - all the way around the filter. If you miscalculate here, you'll have oil all over everywhere. Not a pretty site. I loosen the filter just so I can turn it by hand but with no oil leaking yet. Put the bag on and turn the filter through the bag. Let it drain, then unscrew the filter and let it drop in the bag. Lift it up and over the power steering unit towards the front of the truck.

konfuzed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 liter Hemi
Also using the ramps. Be sure to check clearance for your truck under garage as you are driving up on them. My truck fits bit I have to slowly raise my hood bc it hits the roof. Also to reset the oil change setting, hit the right button for mileage and right and left for the percentage.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Bobbo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm a bigger guy and have no trouble just going under with no ramps, stock height. If it is lowered, you may have trouble though.

jasonw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
I tend to hit the front valance repeatedly, but other than that, have no issues sliding around underneath at stock height, as long as I watch turn my head to the side to slide it under some of the lower parts. If I am feel extra lazy, I do have a pair of ramps I drive it out of the garage onto. I definitely do that with my wife's 2014 Grand Cherokee (no air suspension), as thats a tad worse.

BlkZrx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500 SLT Std. cab
Engine
Hemi 6.4
What the heck, you can slide under the 2500 with ample room and have to reach up to reach the pan.. haha
I like to sit in my lounge chair while under the truck.. [emoji6]

Sent from my LG-K540 using Tapatalk

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's
What the heck, you can slide under the 2500 with ample room and have to reach up to reach the pan.. haha

I was pumped when buying the 2500 when I realized how easy changing the oil is on these. Talk about a dream.

Gamester

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Yea, I can get under mine on a creeper for an oil change without ramps as well.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
txram956