Question for guys running tunes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wstacy3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Do you even bother taking your trucks to the dealer for service i.e oil changes? I have twice and both times they flashed my pcu. The first time i had my 93oct hemifever installed and when they flashed it i had to call diablo directly to get my tuner unlocked. Second time i reverted back to stock as advised by sean at hemifever. Got the truck back, reinstalled the tune but its not the same so yet again I have to have sean rewrite it.... im thinking **** going to the dealer as its a pita reflashing everytime

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Andrew09HEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
In the past with my truck that was out of warranty I told them dont flash or run updates without notifying me first and made sure they wrote it on the repair order. New truck is under warranty so it'll be reverted back to stock before anything. Haven't decided on oil changes yet but you're damn right Ill be making the dealer do as much as possible so I dont have to worry about warranty issues.

SilverStreak88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Eco Gasser
What are they re-flashing your truck for when your only getting an oil change? I've taken mine in and they never did a re-flash with oil change, but I choose to do it all myself to alleviate any dealer issues.

OP
OP
wstacy3

wstacy3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What are they re-flashing your truck for when your only getting an oil change? I've taken mine in and they never did a re-flash with oil change, but I choose to do it all myself to alleviate any dealer issues.

Mopar updates I guess. Soon as i get there the dude plugs a little wireless thing in it to communicate with his ipad

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
Just tell them not to flash your computer. If they see there is an update for your VIN#, they are going to flash it unless you specifically tell them not to.

JJP71584

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I usually load the stock tune before going to the dealer, then load the performance tune afterwards

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

SilverStreak88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Eco Gasser
Mopar updates I guess. Soon as i get there the dude plugs a little wireless thing in it to communicate with his ipad

Damn son, I guess they don't mess around. I wonder if it's something to with warranty issues, such as them downloading all the data since the last time you were there that way if you throw a rod being over tuned, set it back to stock and tell them the motor is faulty they don't get jipped on the deal.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Don't they make a "lock" you can put on the plug if you really don't want them to plug anything in?
Jay

savage_46

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 swapped
I would tell them not to do it. If they forget & go ahead, then it's on them & they should be responsible for reimbursement to get it back to how you want it. Or play it safe and revert back to stock just in case. Whenever I stop working at my dealer, I'll always put in my stock pcm. Until then, I do my own work.

nateinva

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 1500 Laramie CC
Engine
5.7L
I'll just leave this here.... [emoji1]

obd-ii-portcover.jpg

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just tuned my truck in December so thankfully it hasn't had to go to the dealer yet. But I'll probably bring it back to stock if I do.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the Calibration update the Intune/Trinity does when you first hook it up to the truck the same update the dealer does?

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
I do not understand why they need to flash the computer when you bring it in unless your having some sort of issue with something computer related.
I really dont want them jacking with anything unrelated to what ever brought me into the dealership at that time.

RFMRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Aren't you supposed to put the tune back to stock and the stock computer back in the truck when you take it to the dealer? Did you have them unlock your computer instead of buying an unlocked computer?

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
My standard procedure is to put the truck back to stock if I ever take it to the dealer for whatever reason.

bassheadhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just swap ECU for the factory one before going to the dealer for warranty repairs. That's the only time they are allowed to touch my truck.

tcazes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I just swap ECU for the factory one before going to the dealer for warranty repairs. That's the only time they are allowed to touch my truck.

I'm the same way! If it's not a warranty item ie. A recall item or over $500 then I'd rather take the loss and do it myself.

Andrew09HEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
A car/truck coming in for service that's still under warranty will always get a flash or update regardless. It's required since some updates or flashes fix issues, like the trans tune updates on the 6 speeds. Also, the dealer isn't thinking, "Oh I wonder if this person has a tune or not?" They are thinking they are going to do whatever the car/truck needs at that time to prevent issues and that person coming back for something they should have handled to begin with. Just revert back to stock before going and be done, in my opinion. You could tell them not to flash if you'd like as well but I believe that'll only pose issues if something pops up