Quick muffler/no muffler question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

liftedgm1982

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey guys just looking for any experienced thoughts on this. I'm looking to change the exhaust sound. I've always had pretty aggressive sounding setups on all my trucks. I see quite a few people enjoy the muffler delete kit, while others say it's a bit overboard. I'm thinking of having the shop tear out my muffler and weld in a y pipe as far downstream as possible, and keep my resonators. Figure if I don't like it I'll just weld in a 3"(?) inline muffler just upstream from that and be done with it. Any thoughts on this?
Also I'm not planning on using any of the prefab kits, they seem a bit overpriced, I prefer welds to clamps, and I have a pretty good relationship with my current shop. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I'd say go with the loudest option (straight pipe) and see how you like it. You can always add the muffler to it.

I've run Flowmasters and Magnaflows on my truck and liked them. But the Carven mufflers interest me. Google them up and see what you think.

Pinnacleplumbing1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just had my carven competitor series put on a few days ago... sounds awesome... it's pretty loud and had a nice bite to it!... I have had flowmasters on almost every truck I have owned... the carven sound is way better!!!... I'm very happy with my muffler choice... check out YouTube vids for sounds of different mufflers/muffler delete/resonator delete/etc... they at least give you a good idea of what each sounds like... good luck!

OP
OP
liftedgm1982

liftedgm1982

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'd say go with the loudest option (straight pipe) and see how you like it. You can always add the muffler to it.

I've run Flowmasters and Magnaflows on my truck and liked them. But the Carven mufflers interest me. Google them up and see what you think.

Yep that's basically what I was thinking, starting loudest and then modifying if necessary. I've ran a flowmaster on one of my chevys, but to me the drone in cab was an annoyance. Swapped to a shorty magnaflow and it was perfect. I have been looking at the Carven, notice a lot of guys are going that route.

PDXRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Another one here going with Carven.. Competitor Series. Hoping my neighbors will enjoy it in the mornings! ;)

SuthrnRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Pretty sure I'm switching over to Carven soon, hoping it will sound deeper than my FM 40s!

powderbrad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Muffler 14 may as well be a delete.

I started my truck open headers after the install....kinda liked it. Made me think muffler delete but looking at the 14" it's basically not even there

abouttobeglue

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I think it's a great idea, I've got a similar set up with a Widowmaker to a y pipe, if I want to change it later itll be a simple job, no worrying with an alignment on tailpipes. Did a round dynomax to a magna flow y on a buddy's truck for the same reason as you stated. You can get the Maggie y pipe for 25-30 bucks and it's stainless.

Luxuryram10

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I did a muffler delete with an extension pipe and y pipe from summit racing. Cost me about 35$ out the door. Also I did keep the resignators. Sounds good. Lots of complements on how it sounds. If I could post a clip on here I would.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HammerHead

USMC 0313
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4Runner
Engine

This is good advice. I did exactly this. Removed muffler and resonators, listed are the pros and cons.

Pro: really loud but beautifully deep rumble, and when you stop it it will scream.
Pro: 60 MPH to 120 digs like hell and will leave a huge smile on your face.
Con: lost a little low end, -.20 on my 0-60 MPH. (6 speed tranny)
Con: when the system is cold it makes a crackle sound until hot.

Just put on the Spintech 9000 and love it. I'm to old for a loud ass truck lol

OP
OP
liftedgm1982

liftedgm1982

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well here's an update. I haven't done anything yet, been busy with work and other day to day stuff. Did manage to call my local shop that I've used on every other vehicle I've owned and apparently the company has changed hands. Quoted me ~$220ish just to pull the old muffler and install a y pipe. With aluminum parts...no thanks. I have another shop close to me, if they can't get me a better deal I'll just say screw it and buy the mufflex kit, or buy the damn parts myself for 1/3 of the cost and pay to have the welds done. Hell maybe I'll just weld it myself too, joints don't have to be pretty, just sealed.