Ram 1500 Transmissions.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
6 spd doesn't shift sequentially up/down. It skips on the way down. It's pretty seamless and youd never know it was a 6 spd. 155k mi on mine, about 17.5 mpg average on mine (3.55) ...higher on straight hwy, but I never really checked it on the hwy.

I hear good things about the 8-spd too.

Rampaige

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2013, 5.7, 6spd with 3.92 gears. It does all I need and then some. 66k miles and counting.......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
wsb, I put 4.10s in mine. I think that should have been standard. I believe some of the RCSB 2 WD R/Ts came from the factory with 4.10s. 4.10s are both expensive and a bargain.

I wouldn't even have an 8 speed with anything other than 3.92s.

I had 3.21's originally with my 4X4 8 speed then down graded to 3.55's,and actually don't like them,wished i'd stayed with the 3.21's,my milege took a noticeable hit,plus my oil temps went up by almost 10 degrees.If I didn't have a ****load of money ******* in this housing with welded on Illicit relocation brackets and a True Trac posi unit,i'd be throwing the original housings back in with the 3.21's. I'm not a fan of deep gears with the 8 speed,maybe if I was towing 5,000 + lbs daily or was running 35inch+ tires i'd like 3.92's,but as far as a daily driver goes,with a 31" tire,i personally liked the 3.21's better then the 3.55's.Just my .02 from somebody who has actually swapped gears with the 8 speed,and not going on hearsay,as you are:favorites13:

Last edited:

Wahrsuul

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have an 09 with the 5sp/3.55. Haven't towed with it yet, but so far I'm good with the performance. Wouldn't mind trying the 3.92, but don't think I'd go any lower.

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
I would have never thought I would be happy with 3:21s untill I drove this truck for 9k.
Its a big heavy 4x4 truck thats not meant for drag racing and it surprises me sometimes how well it runs out with these hwy gears , The 8sp makes all the difference with these gears.
I am going to put 35s on it and plan on regearing it to 3:92s at that point, even pulling my 28' camper it has no problems.
Vid of my truck from a stop with my topper on, all stock but the muffler and was on good pavement not some dusty ass road.
https://youtu.be/QpqlRPVBoBg

HemiStarPower

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Smooth video, these things are a beast!

OP
OP
W

wsbf0917

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

They are nice rigs. I'm probably gonna go get this one I posted about tomorrow after work. I can't wait to bring it home. It's not new but it's new to me damnit.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp

Thanks, before I put my topper on it would continue to spin the tires through 2nd gear. Really suprised me how well it runs out.
Makes me want to get a tuner and some long tubes headers on it, another 30-40 hp would really get these trucks moving .

HemiStarPower

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
They are nice rigs. I'm probably gonna go get this one I posted about tomorrow after work. I can't wait to bring it home. It's not new but it's new to me damnit.

Best thing to do is test drive it! I owned a 2013 with the 6 Speed, it was good. Buddy has a 5 speed never complained. My new one has the 8 speed and it’s nice too. Overall I don’t think you could go wrong, but a test drive to ensure it meets your needs is best! Good luck.

OP
OP
W

wsbf0917

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Best thing to do is test drive it! I owned a 2013 with the 6 Speed, it was good. Buddy has a 5 speed never complained. My new one has the 8 speed and it’s nice too. Overall I don’t think you could go wrong, but a test drive to ensure it meets your needs is best! Good luck.

I did and will again. It shifts smooth drives great. Has 67,000 miles on it. Seems like a nice truck. Not a scrach or a ounce of rust on it.

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Wild, I test drove an 8/3.21. Now granted, it was just a 10 mile test drive, and my truck has a CAI and a Hemi Fever tune, but I was not impressed. That truck did a lot of shifting, and not a whole lot of get up and going. The one I test drove was a good looking RCSB. Mine is a big ol 4 door. I was hoping to be impressed enough by "the game changer" 8 speed, that I could justify buying a new truck. Maybe it's what you get used to, and guys tend to be defensive about what they own.

In my experience, if you gear down, slow down a bit, and the mpg is about the same. On my truck, I did a front end lift, heavy tires, a LSD rear, tune and CAI. In other words, just about everything to make the mpg worse, and it will still get over 19.5, on occasion. But I have to slow down a bit. It won't do that at 70 mph. I didn't do all that stuff, to what was an expensive truck to start with, to pinch pennies on fuel. It's very capable, fun truck.

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
Yeah you need to drive it more than 10 miles and not compare it to a modded truck that has a easy 30hp more..lol

Its also a 8sp with low gearing in the transmission so its going to shift more and thats a good thing as its not lugging around in the wrong gear or to high of a gear all the time heating up the TC.

Last edited: