Random extended cranking help needed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

XXSNOTRODXX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey guys,

2011 Ram 1500,Sport,4x4,5.7l.

I've had my truck about 6 months now and as far as I can remember I noticed the issue around the time I got it...And It hasn't got any worse I don't think. But it bugs me and I don't want it to one day decide not to start. Trying to see if it is a common issue with these truck and/or if anyone else has/had this issue and knows a fix.

Roughly about 9 times out of 10 the truck fires right up when you crank the truck over...no problems. When the truck is running it runs great. no check engine lights or anything like that either.

But the other 10% of the time is what concerns me. It doesn't seems to matter if it is cold or hot...it can do it the first start of the day or after parking at a store for 5 minutes and taking back off. Put the key in the ignition,turn to crank position and it just cranks and cranks and cranks and cranks for a good 10 seconds or so before it finally fires up.

A little embarrassing when a truck this expensive struggles to start at times ...not to mention a worrisome issue reliability wise.

If anyone has an idea.. feel free to chime in. thanks!

dearchristopher

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
mine did this, turned out the battery was dying. my truck is an 11 and i had it about 4 weeks when the battery just stopped cranking one morning. i jumped off a friend with it and it was over with a few days later. H6 battery if i remember correctly, or a 96 if you don't do a dry cell from autozone. i made a bit larger battery fit and saved a TON of money. keep it in mind if you end up having it not start one day, or just swing by an autozone and have them test your battery

OP
OP
XXSNOTRODXX

XXSNOTRODXX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It cranks over just fine. I don't think that is the issue.

It displays the same symptoms as if you were to disconnect power to the ignition coils and try and start the engine. Just cranks and cranks but no fire. And it only does this maybe 1 out of every 10 times that I start the truck. The rest of the time it is perfectly fine.

And when it does have this hiccup it will crank for 10 or so seconds and then it fires up. Almost like a delay in ignition "fire" or delay in fuel or delay it the chip key communicating with the computer...or....who knows. Thats why I was hoping maybe it was a semi common problem on these trucks and maybe I could be steered in whatever direction to look at.

But thanks for the input

thumperpa

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 QCSB 2WD
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Suggestion

Don't know if this true but I had similar issues and I had an update done at the dealer when I had it in for recalls plus I put my catch can on that nite and within two days it was starting more consistent then it ever has so I'm assuming the catch can eliminating that gunk from going into the TB and the updated software worked. I also run 93 octane only

OP
OP
XXSNOTRODXX

XXSNOTRODXX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
A catch can getting rid of gunk going down the throttle body I could understand as being the culprit if it was a more common occurrence and if attempting to start it made for atleast a hesitation in WANTING to start. But my issue is it will just randomly act like there is no spark or no chip key communication... Or whatever the case may be. But a catch can is for sure on my list regardless!. To many wanted mods and not enough money lol.

I could see a software update being the culprit but I had the truck into the dealer a few months ago and asked if there was any outstanding recalls or suggested services that needed performed and I was told that there was not. I have also not received any recall notices or seen anything on the internet about it.

Would be nice if the fix was that simple!.

I want to say it is technology related in some shape or form. With the randomness, almost the exact same crank length before it starts when the issue happens each time, and otherwise runs/starts perfectly fine the rest of the time.

Which I am hoping is not the case because I can fix most anything in my own vehicle.... But when it comes to computer flashing and all the electronic stuff in vehicles these days... That's out of my league and I lack the equipment that dealer uses.

Thanks for the input. Keep em coming guys!

crazy_luck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I know the car platform has issues with the cam position and crank position sensors, which will cause a long crank where it won't start unless you let off the key and hit it again. I have replaced one of each in my Charger at separate times because they fail.

jasonw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
I'd still get the battery tested, just to rule it out. Its more likely a sensor, as crazy_luck stated, but a battery test at any auto parts store is free now-a-days, so why not?

OP
OP
XXSNOTRODXX

XXSNOTRODXX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I know the car platform has issues with the cam position and crank position sensors, which will cause a long crank where it won't start unless you let off the key and hit it again. I have replaced one of each in my Charger at separate times because they fail.

I thought about that aswell but was not sure so I was hoping maybe others had a similar issue with these trucks and would have input on what they did to fix it and if the cam or crank sensors were at fault.

My wife has an 05 grand cherokee with the 5.7l and apparently they are also known for the cam and crank sensors going bad around as soon as 60,000 miles. so at the 70k mile tune up I went ahead and replaced both the cam and crank sensors aswell as a few other known issues that year just for the peace of mind.

Problem is....I hate throwing money at a problem unless I know for certain it is taking care of the issue. And being that it is such an intermittent issue...it makes it all the more fun to track down haha.

hopefully in the meantime someone chimes in that has had this same problem with these trucks so I feel a little more confident in what direction to head.

Thanks for the input!

cbo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ive had this problem for a few months now and have not been able to resolve it. Mine only has an extended crank time when the motor is completely cold (like when it has sat overnight).

Once the truck is warmed up, i can stop to run into a store, come back ot and it will start up just fine.

thumperpa

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 QCSB 2WD
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Service

I'll find my service sheet or when I take it back next week to have the parts installed that they had to order I'll get them to give me the service item # for the software update they did and pm you it or post it and hopefully it will help. And I'll admit my truck was more of the first start of the day issue but did notice a wonky start occasionally for no rhyme or reason and I've been a lil over a month now and it's still doing good so I figured I'd post it up for anyone to think about

OP
OP
XXSNOTRODXX

XXSNOTRODXX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ive had this problem for a few months now and have not been able to resolve it. Mine only has an extended crank time when the motor is completely cold (like when it has sat overnight).

Once the truck is warmed up, i can stop to run into a store, come back ot and it will start up just fine.

Sounds like we have the same issue aside from mine doesn't seem to care what the temperature is.

OP
OP
XXSNOTRODXX

XXSNOTRODXX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'll find my service sheet or when I take it back next week to have the parts installed that they had to order I'll get them to give me the service item # for the software update they did and pm you it or post it and hopefully it will help. And I'll admit my truck was more of the first start of the day issue but did notice a wonky start occasionally for no rhyme or reason and I've been a lil over a month now and it's still doing good so I figured I'd post it up for anyone to think about

Cool thanks, I see yours is a 2013 where mine is a 2011 which might be why you had a recall and mine did not. 13+ seem to have a lot of issues that the 09-12's don't share.

dearchristopher

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
if you see it when the motor is completely cold, maybe a faulty temp sensor? or possible that it could be a fuel pressure sensor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
Sounds like fuel pump keeping pressure. try turning key on for a second, then turn to start position. See if it takes a little while to get proper fuel pressure to the rails.

pickupman66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
on the fuel pressure, I know with Autostart it kicks my fuel pump on about a second or two before the starter kicks... just food for thought on it.
sounds like an electrical part gremlin.

OP
OP
XXSNOTRODXX

XXSNOTRODXX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If it was a pressure issue I would assume it would be a more consistent issue/multiple symptoms.No leaks anywhere,runs great,drives great,no fuel related issues elsewhere. starts just fine the majority of the time.

Like I said before,when the issue happens it isn't like it tries to start and coughs or spits and sputters like fuel starvation. It just cranks and does not attempt to start (like lack of spark) for about 10 seconds and then all of a sudden it will fire up and everything is fine. Some times I have had it do it to me a couple of times in one week and other times I have had it only do it to me once in a couple weeks. There is no real rhyme or reason to it and no real conditions that cause it that can be duplicated. Not a hot/cold thing as I have had it do it to me in both situations before.

I would agree it sounds like some sort of electrical gremlin. I am leaning toward the key fob randomly not communicating every once and awhile ( Its not very old though...I just bought/had it programmed at the local dodge dealer back in June when I bought the truck). Or possibly a cam or crank sensor as was mentioned earlier in the thread.

As of right now it is not a "big issue" and hopefully it stays that way. It is just something I would like to get figured out for peace of mind and not have to worry if it is an issue that will get worse eventually. So if anyone else has ran into the issue and has an answer or a guess at it...feel free to chime in. All suggestions are worth a ponder lol.

Crawford7736

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 V8
Hey man,

I had the exact same issue which started a year or so ago on my 2011 Ram 1500 with a 5.7.

Posted on this forum and some other ones, and they recommended I change my battery, as it was the original one from 2011.

So, I changed my battery, and because the truck was at 62 000km, I changed all my spark plugs as well.

Been a few months, and haven't had the issue return.

Try changing your battery and make sure your plugs aren't due. They're only good for 50 000km apparently.

OP
OP
XXSNOTRODXX

XXSNOTRODXX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for popping in. Not ruling anything out. I will check if it has the original battery and plugs. Still open to ideas if anyone else has any suggestions. Thanks again!

polcat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel
Did you ever get your problem sorted out? I have a 2013 and have had an intermittent long cranking issue for quite some time. Seems to be more of an issue with cooler temperatures.