Random Question...AC and Custom Tuning?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nateinva

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 1500 Laramie CC
Engine
5.7L
Have any of you ever had AC issues when running custom tunes?

I saw that there have been issues in the past with other vehicles. I haven't returned my truck to stock tune yet but thought I'd ask. My compressor is brand new, new charge, new expansion valve. Air starts ice cold at idle then once engine is up to temp and cruising on highway it cuts in and out from cold to ambient temps.

Good flow from vents at all times. Compressor seems to be cycling too much, doesn't seem related to actuators best I can tell. No issues switching various settings/locations between hot and cold.

Truck is 2011 1500 CC with auto climate controls...

Anything else to look for? I did replace a thermostatic temp sensor behind the glove box hoping for an easy fix. Initially thought this worked but no dice.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I haven't run my custom tune in the summer yet but I'll definitely keep an eye on that. Have you done any cooling related mods like 180* tstat that was written into the tune?

OP
OP
nateinva

nateinva

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 1500 Laramie CC
Engine
5.7L
I haven't run my custom tune in the summer yet but I'll definitely keep an eye on that. Have you done any cooling related mods like 180* tstat that was written into the tune?
Yep, that's affirmative. 180 tstat and fan speeds adjusted in the tune. There's just so many parameters that can control when the compressor runs...speculating at this point though.

I'm sitting at the shop now so they can check high/low pressures and make sure there isn't a blockage since they replaced everything.

It's a strange problem for sure...will update.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yep, that's affirmative. 180 tstat and fan speeds adjusted in the tune. There's just so many parameters that can control when the compressor runs...speculating at this point though.

I'm sitting at the shop now so they can check high/low pressures and make sure there isn't a blockage since they replaced everything.

It's a strange problem for sure...will update.
Hopefully it's something in the AC system that they can fix and not the tune itself. I would hate to have to run the stock tune in the summer.

Is it a HF or Jay Greene tune?

OP
OP
nateinva

nateinva

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 1500 Laramie CC
Engine
5.7L
Hopefully it's something in the AC system that they can fix and not the tune itself. I would hate to have to run the stock tune in the summer.

Is it a HF or Jay Greene tune?
I don't want to unintentionally relate these two things or cause alarm for anyone. Just posing the question and seeking thoughts from others on this.

Running Jays tune now but I do have an updated HF tune I could try...then back to stock.

If shop still throws their hands up I'll try switching tunes. I have my tuner in the truck now.

I just want to make sure there isn't a slow leak in the system somewhere since they replaced everything 2 weeks ago.

OP
OP
nateinva

nateinva

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 1500 Laramie CC
Engine
5.7L
Mods...feel free to lock and/or delete this thread.

False alarm....the shop accidentally overcharged the system when filling. Not much but enough to cause high pressure cutoff.

Working like a champ now...at least it was a simple fix.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Mods...feel free to lock and/or delete this thread.

False alarm....the shop accidentally overcharged the system when filling. Not much but enough to cause high pressure cutoff.

Working like a champ now...at least it was a simple fix.

I was just about to reply, that it sounds like they overcharged it. Those are pretty typical symptoms of a overcharged system.