Ready to install gears and lsd!?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Custom_Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I got my rear diff and gears along with my install kit from moes. Picked up my 3 quarts of rear diff fluid along with the limited slip additive and got a new pinion nut as well. I should be set to go right?

DevRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
let me know how that goes brother i love doing as much work as i can on my own truck but im a carpenter first , mechanic falls alot lower on the list haha i want to go to a 4.10 so if you keep your sanity through the project i might go for it.......good luck

what diff are you switching too?

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
some gasket sealant and you would be all good

PassivAggressor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I bought a LSD for my truck and had a friend do it. I would not have been prepared to do it. The axles have to be taken off, the bearing had to be pressed on, you have to get the slack correct, etc. If you are comfortable with that then its not hard, but if you find it difficult to change brakes or can't install a lift then this mod is not for you to install.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I bought a LSD for my truck and had a friend do it. I would not have been prepared to do it. The axles have to be taken off, the bearing had to be pressed on, you have to get the slack correct, etc. If you are comfortable with that then its not hard, but if you find it difficult to change brakes or can't install a lift then this mod is not for you to install.

He is right unless the new Dodge rearend is somehow different there is more to installing a new differential than just bolting it in. As noted you have to have the pinion bearing pressed on. You also need to set the lash on the gears and side preload plus your pinion gear depth. It is critical that this is done correctly or you will damage your ring and pinion. Google it and go on you tube and see if you feel comfortable installing them yourself. Then you need to find the correct settings for your measuments It's kind of an art and there are differential shops that just do differentials for that reason. I have done my ford 9" which is one of the easier ones and it came out ok but getting the patteten just right was a lot more intailed than I had thought . from then on I just have it done by a professional.

Last edited:

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I agree--this isn't a job for a weekend warrior.
Jay

OP
OP
C

Custom_Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Oh I know this job isn't for me haha I am having a ring and pinion shop do it. I was jw if I had all the parts I needed so I could just get charged the 375 for labor and nothing else

DevRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
that put the end to my "maybe i can do that?" i feel like once you buy the tools required for the job you start getting close to an install price if you dont already have them ill stick with the baby steps in this expensive hobby

DevRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Oh I know this job isn't for me haha I am having a ring and pinion shop do it. I was jw if I had all the parts I needed so I could just get charged the 375 for labor and nothing else

and now i have the general idea on the price :favorites13: enjoy that dif

thad8403

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
that put the end to my "maybe i can do that?" i feel like once you buy the tools required for the job you start getting close to an install price if you dont already have them ill stick with the baby steps in this expensive hobby
All you need is a hammer and screw driver lol

JasonK94Z

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Yeah. It's serious stuff that even a full time mechanic can get wrong. Had a Z28 Camaro regeared, and the first install was messed up. Ended up with a whining rear end driving down the highway. Had to do it all over again with a new shop.
Measurements are down to thousandths on a dial caliper.

OP
OP
C

Custom_Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah man 500 bucks for the diff, 450 for gears, 125 for the rear end lube, limited slip additive, and the nut, that's if you go with factory lube, and the ring and pinion shop I'm having do mine is 375 bucks

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Someone once said, "You don't pay people for what they do, you pay them for knowing how to do what they do". Sometimes it cost a lot of money to discover your limitations. :naughty:
Jay

OP
OP
C

Custom_Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That's right, putting mods on these trucks really drains the bank account ik that

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You change your gears and install a new TC, you'll think your driving a new truck!!!!!! (however you might save some money for tires)--LOL
Jay

DevRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ill let another guy provide the hammer and screwdriver for me at his shop where he knows what hes doing:buffer: ill provide the parts The TC is next on the list for sure, you dont realize how big a difference these parts make until you can actually get in one and feel it for yourself Friend of mine actually apalogized for getting me hooked on mods!! im not upset

OP
OP
C

Custom_Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've had a 3000 stall sitting around for months now haha, it will be getting put in once I break the gears in

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hey Custom.

Good choice of mods. You'll love the new gears.

Which ratio did you choose to go with? If I had a RCSB, I'd have gone with 4.56s.

Be sure to report back after you get the truck done.

OP
OP
C

Custom_Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was really debating on going with the 4:56 gears but I already have a hard time hooking up as it is so I figured with the TC and them gears it was just be a tire shredder haha, decided to go with the 4:10 gears. Truck will be done Tuesday can't wait