Rear diff / tranny clunk

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rotzilla

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
After stopping my 09 would make a clunking noise that would cause to truck to jump. It wasn't very loud or vicious, just annoying when coming to a stop.
Dealer updated some softwear which partially resolved the problem.

I thought this was an isolated issue, however my 11 is doing the same thing.
Is everybody experiencing this?

The Assassin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Don't think I've heard anyone on here having this issue. I'd say take it to the dealership and let them look at it. I'm presuming it's under warranty.

OP
OP
Rotzilla

Rotzilla

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Yes its under warranty. I just can't imagine I'm the only person, two trucks two years apart with the same issue. Must be the Co. special. LOL

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I have it too going into dealer tomorrow as I have another wierd noise coming from the rear.

sullivan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yes its under warranty. I just can't imagine I'm the only person, two trucks two years apart with the same issue. Must be the Co. special. LOL

Maybe its the driver. :********:

Im just playing, hope you get it all taken care of. How many miles have you put on the truck as its a 2011.

HemiBabe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
dang that's really weird, hopefully they'll fix it for ya

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The only odd noise I have (other than shoddy interior assembly) is a popping noise on off camber driveway entries. I'm pretty sure it's the rear coils almost falling out.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
My 2011 does not do this, i have less than 3,000 miles though

LB3711

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
I got 14k on mine. It's quiet and smooth right now but I'll have to pay attention to it now and see if it's doing anything. I do know there wasn't much effort taking things apart in front to do the HBS level kit.

Sent from my AT&T iPhone 4.

OP
OP
Rotzilla

Rotzilla

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
my 09 & 11 both did it from the day they rolled off the lot.
Haven't taken the 11 in yet.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Gone now pinion bearings or powertrax must have caused it.

$miley

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Every silverado I have owned did this. GM makes a special grease for it. You pull out the driveshaft and grease the splines on the part of the shaft that goes in the tranny. I do my silverado about once a year and it fixes it.

I will be curious as to what the dealer says.

Sagegrn2012

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l hemi
Since day one I have noticed a clunk. It is strange, not like the GM trucks. After stoping ( like a second or two.) feels almost like someone bumped you from behind. I have turned off the hill assist and nothing changed. I have Know idea what it is.

smk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI V8
Look up driveline or axle wrap.

2K10HemiRam

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Hometown: Tacoma, WA Stationed: Alamogordo NM
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I think I remember a thread about this a long time ago on my old forum, how credible the information is I don't know, but if I remember right, people were saying it was something along the line of the torque converter unlocking that caused that clunk. I know my truck does it every now and them and seems to become more rare of a thing to happen as I put more miles on it. The way I've always described it is like having a bowling ball in the bed of the truck and a second or two after stopping, it hit the front of the bed.

People had said to pretty much ignore it unless it becomes violent and like I said, mine seems to be going away as I can hardly remember when it happened last. But under no circumstances am I saying not to take it to the dealer, it's always better safe than sorry especially when you have a warranty ;)

OP
OP
Rotzilla

Rotzilla

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Just turned 4k and is still doing the same thing consistantly. Oh well. If it pukes its guts I'm still under warranty.

SmokedRam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I think I remember a thread about this a long time ago on my old forum, how credible the information is I don't know, but if I remember right, people were saying it was something along the line of the torque converter unlocking that caused that clunk. I know my truck does it every now and them and seems to become more rare of a thing to happen as I put more miles on it. The way I've always described it is like having a bowling ball in the bed of the truck and a second or two after stopping, it hit the front of the bed.

People had said to pretty much ignore it unless it becomes violent and like I said, mine seems to be going away as I can hardly remember when it happened last. But under no circumstances am I saying not to take it to the dealer, it's always better safe than sorry especially when you have a warranty ;)

The Gen2 trucks were notorious for this when the Torque Converter Control Circuit was malfunctioning.