red coolant issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SouthShoreRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
i noticed the other day when doing an oil change that the red coolant in my 14 ram 1500 with the 5.7L is getting a little skanky. to be specific there is a film in the radiator filler neck and the coolant leaves a gritty residue in the overflow dipstick.

the truck has 33k miles and while i am not overly concerned, i will take it to the dealer for a coolant flush just to be safe.

my question is has anyone else ran into this?

Broyd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Your truck is supposed to have MOPAR OAT coolant in it. This is the 10 year 100,000 mile lifetime stuff. OAT coolant is extremely fussy if any other coolant has been mixed with it. Normally I wouldn't expect crap in your coolant system for not being that old ...

Have you owned the truck since new? Are you aware of any other coolants that might have been added to your truck at any time, by yourself or anyone else?

OP
OP
S

SouthShoreRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Yes, i am the original owner, and other than the last oil change that i did, it's always been serviced at the dealer.

I just know what a pain the gm Dex cool was, so figured cheap insurance to have flush done.

WillardBerg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Here's a Pic of my cooling system 5.7L suspect oil cooler failure

oil.jpeg

oil1.jpeg

*tim*

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi