Regearing '14 3.21 to 3.92

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Revo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Got a quote from the dealer for the whole front axle (3.92) at $2652 + tax (CAD) and will see if I can go through Moe's for the rear gears to try and save some money.

Does this amount sound somewhat reasonable? I'm thinking I can try and sell my old front axle with the 3.21s if I end up going through with it. Reason for the swap is that I may be moving up to 37" tires in the coming months.

*Truck is a 4x4.

clh1220

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
That's allot of wasted money your throwing at that truck. If I had to have that gear I would get another truck. Sell it and buy a new one.

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
^^ I kinda agree with that I mean throwing 3-4 grand into the truck is there any other options you wish you had?

Secondly I thought the 14's front gear wasent welded? There for just a ring and pinion swap? Has anyone confirmed this?

CMil527

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 RAM 1500 LARAMIE-CC
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Expensive proposition... Definately not worth it imo! Sell the truck or formulate a new mod plan, not like the truck is going to be a beast on 37's!

noupf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport 6'4 Bed
Engine
5.7 Hemi
HOLY RIP OFF !!!!!!!!

Any reasonable performance shop or tranny shop could do the front and rear swap for $1500 or so. I'm from Long Island NY ( like the 2nd most expesive place to live in america ) and it was going to cost me about $1600 back in 2011 for a gear swap on my silverado.

CMil527

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 RAM 1500 LARAMIE-CC
Engine
5.7 Hemi
HOLY RIP OFF !!!!!!!!

Any reasonable performance shop or tranny shop could do the front and rear swap for $1500 or so. I'm from Long Island NY ( like the 2nd most expesive place to live in america ) and it was going to cost me about $1600 back in 2011 for a gear swap on my silverado.

Unfortunately not when its welded in.. Unless you track down a salvage to save money!

OP
OP
Revo

Revo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
You guys really think it's worth a trade in? I have a 6" zone kit in my garage right now.

I've already put quite a bit of money into it...I really want 3.92 gears if I'm running 37s. Don't get me wrong, the truck is definitely quick and has no lack of power. I have a 0-60 time of 5.17 seconds on these 35" M/Ts...I don't know what to do...err...you guys have got me thinking!

Wouldn't I lose at least $10k on the trade in? I'll look around and see about finding a salvaged front axle.

Last edited:

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Weigh your options figure the total cost for the gear swap (seriously check into wether it's welded or not) and figure if there is any other factory options you are missing out on that you wish you had. If the anwser is all I want is gears i don't think its worth swapping but if you don't have a sun roof, cooled seats, push start fill in the blank of what's in your mind if there is a expenaive factory option you regret not getting now is the time. If your trucks perfect get the gears installed and put the 37's on it!

OP
OP
Revo

Revo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Weigh your options figure the total cost for the gear swap (seriously check into wether it's welded or not) and figure if there is any other factory options you are missing out on that you wish you had. If the anwser is all I want is gears i don't think its worth swapping but if you don't have a sun roof, cooled seats, push start fill in the blank of what's in your mind if there is a expenaive factory option you regret not getting now is the time. If your trucks perfect get the gears installed and put the 37's on it!
Truck is fully loaded except for a sunroof, cooled seats and the convenience group with the auto wipers, hand entry, etc. I really don't care for any of those.

If I can get a salvaged full front axle for a grand or so, or a front axle with these gears not welded in I'll go for it. Why oh why did they weld the ******** gears in???

It all depends on how small these 35s look with my zone 6" kit installed...I'm basing my decision purely off of that. Would I be damaging my transmission any more with 3.21s than if I had 3.92s when running over sized (fairly heavy) tires?

Last edited:

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Truck is fully loaded except for a sunroof, cooled seats and the convenience group with the auto wipers, hand entry, etc. I really don't care for any of those.

If I can get a salvaged full front axle for a grand or so, or a front axle with these gears not welded in I'll go for it. Why oh why did they weld the ******** gears in???

It all depends on how small these 35s look with my zone 6" kit installed...I'm basing my decision purely off of that. Would I be damaging my transmission any more with 3.21s than if I had 3.92s when running oversized tires?

I think they went to welded gears when ran went with the ZF axels I could be wrong I'm sure someone will correct me if I am. Also I'm sure they didn't want people working on them so they tried to make it difficult.

As far looming funny with the lift I actually like a little gap between my tires and fender wells I don't think it'll look weird I think it'll look fine with the 35's, there is only 1 way to find out! :favorites13: Have you searched though pic of other people's trucks with 6in lift and 35's?

Lastly I don't think the stress will be all that bad on the transmission. If you have the 8 speed the first gear is so low that wouldnt be a issue and half the time they run in 7th unless your 65mph+ anyways they only thing that would consern me is constant shifting as long as it didn't gear hunt a lot I wouldn't worry about it.

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
4wd gear swaps are expensive, but I don't think its worth getting rid of the truck over. $3000 sounds like a lot of money, but that is peanuts compared to what many guys spend on their rides. I had more than $7000 invested in just my suspension and tires on my last cummins.

Going from a 3.21 to a 3.92 is going to be a very nice bump in performance to make up for what you are losing with those big tires. See if the dealership can give you a part# on the axle they quoted you, and I will see if we can do any better on pricing for you. Shipping would cost a fortune to get a complete axle across the border though which is why I'm assuming they are charging so much. The value of the CAD isn't helping any here either.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Revo

Revo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I think they went to welded gears when ran went with the ZF axels I could be wrong I'm sure someone will correct me if I am. Also I'm sure they didn't want people working on them so they tried to make it difficult.

As far looming funny with the lift I actually like a little gap between my tires and fender wells I don't think it'll look weird I think it'll look fine with the 35's, there is only 1 way to find out! :favorites13: Have you searched though pic of other people's trucks with 6in lift and 35's?

Lastly I don't think the stress will be all that bad on the transmission. If you have the 8 speed the first gear is so low that wouldnt be a issue and half the time they run in 7th unless your 65mph+ anyways they only thing that would consern me is constant shifting as long as it didn't gear hunt a lot I wouldn't worry about it.
I've looked at so many different trucks with the 6"/5" zone kit on 35s and they all look different...lol.

I just photoshopped mine with what I predict is 6" more than what's currently on the truck.
1efe96e7cbf0c90a4e6bf267f0de2657.png

The gap between the front tire/fender is roughly 4.5".

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins

They started welding the ring gears in to save weight and time. No more drilling the ring gear and diff case so no more bolts.

OP
OP
Revo

Revo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
4wd gear swaps are expensive, but I don't think its worth getting rid of the truck over. $3000 sounds like a lot of money, but that is peanuts compared to what many guys spend on their rides. Hell, I had more than $700 invested in just my suspension and tires on my last cummins.

Going from a 3.21 to a 3.92 is going to be a very nice bump in performance to make up for what you are losing with those big tires. See if the dealership can give you a part# on the axle they quoted you, and I will see if we can do any better on pricing for you. Shipping would cost a fortune to get a complete axle across the border though which is why I'm assuming they are charging so much. The value of the CAD isn't helping any here either.
I'll see if I can get a part #. Thanks dude!

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
I've looked at so many different trucks with the 6"/5" zone kit on 35s and they all look different...lol.

I just photoshopped mine with what I predict is 6" more than what's currently on the truck.

If it comes out looking like that I give it :waytogo: I like it but to each there own.

Jerry1984

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you go with 37s go with lower (higher numerically) gears. Are 4.10 or 4.56s available? I went from 3.55 to 4.56 on my 06 f150 and that made a world of difference with just 35s. 37s are quite a jump from stock 33s.

MyOhFive

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI

That looks pretty good IMO man

HammerHead

USMC 0313
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4Runner
Engine
Don't do it, Especially if you have the 8 speed tranny, plenty of gear. Enjoy your new truck with the lift and make the decision down the road. Big difference between what you want and what you need.

sbuko213

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 HO
You guys really think it's worth a trade in? I have a 6" zone kit in my garage right now.

I've already put quite a bit of money into it...I really want 3.92 gears if I'm running 37s. Don't get me wrong, the truck is definitely quick and has no lack of power. I have a 0-60 time of 5.17 seconds on these 35" M/Ts...I don't know what to do...err...you guys have got me thinking!

Wouldn't I lose at least $10k on the trade in? I'll look around and see about finding a salvaged front axle.

Well it's good to know that I'll still have some good power on 35's. Maybe consider putting a LSD on instead of a full regear?

OP
OP
Revo

Revo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
:crazy:
Well it's good to know that I'll still have some good power on 35's. Maybe consider putting a LSD on instead of a full regear?
I've been considering it, I'll base my decision on if I feel the need to get bigger tires or not.

Going to my shop in a few hours to get a quote on the lift install. Getting tired of staring at it in the garage.