Regearing '14 3.21 to 3.92

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SilverSurfer15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
well I was just factoring in a "normal" front regear. (rebuild kit, ring and pinion, 'normal' labor install).

The rear is way cheaper because you don't have to tear apart the IFS, but no shop is going to regear a lifted IFS truck for cheap. It is what it is, did you over pay? yea maybe a few hundred bucks worst case, but its not like you were going to show up somewhere else and do the same thing for 1500 bucks. So I wouldn't be too concerned with it.

Hell, it cost me 2300 to regear my 2500HD a few gears ago. 900 rear, 1300 front, tax and that was with a "friendly" discount. Just one of those things... the other shop quoted me 2800 but they are known to be 15-20% high.

I wouldn't lose sleep over this. Its certainly not worth trading the truck in.

OP
OP
Revo

Revo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I'm sure you can find those 3.92 from a wrecker, will be cheaper
Cheapest I could find was $500 less than what I paid after freight. For that amount I figured I'd just go with a new one.

TDevil

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Maybe I'm missing something somewhere but what was the total $$ for swapping the gears? You said you were having the dealership install all of this, so it's all OEM '14 parts?

OP
OP
Revo

Revo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Maybe I'm missing something somewhere but what was the total $$ for swapping the gears? You said you were having the dealership install all of this, so it's all OEM '14 parts?
Yes, all OEM parts. Parts list in Canadian dollars:
  • LSD - $940
  • 3.92 front differential - $2009.48
  • Rear 3.92 ring/pinion kit - $780.03
  • Plus labor between 10 - 12 hours (will work something out with the service guy when the parts come in)

Not to mention I can probably get $500-600 back from the 3.21 front diff.

clh1220

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
You should go buy a new truck for that kind of money, and get your 3.92.

OP
OP
Revo

Revo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
You should go buy a new truck for that kind of money, and get your 3.92.
I could, but I'd lose out on all of the other stuff I've put into it (wouldn't get much of it back). Moving up to a Cummins when they come out with the revision in 2018, not getting a 1/2 ton after this one's gone.

boostking101

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't think that's a bad price at all! And you have someone that was trained on the vehicle you have working on it, which is a plus.

Some of these gasser guys need to come over to the diesel world and then tell me this is a lot of money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

henryhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You guys really think it's worth a trade in? I have a 6" zone kit in my garage right now.

I've already put quite a bit of money into it...I really want 3.92 gears if I'm running 37s. Don't get me wrong, the truck is definitely quick and has no lack of power. I have a 0-60 time of 5.17 seconds on these 35" M/Ts...I don't know what to do...err...you guys have got me thinking!

Wouldn't I lose at least $10k on the trade in? I'll look around and see about finding a salvaged front axle.

5.17 seconds!? What performance mods do you have?

OP
OP
Revo

Revo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
5.17 seconds!? What performance mods do you have?
I'll list the contributing factors:
  • Jay Greene 91 Tune
  • K&N CAI
  • -23C (w/o wind chill)
  • MBRP cat back (technically no performance gain however)

Tire size was set to 35" in the tuner, but the tires were worn down a little bit (not that significant). When I first plugged in the tuner, the tire size was set to 32" (from the factory), but from what I know the stock tires are 33s, so maybe the value is offset somewhere. Looking back I don't really think 5.17 is possible, but that's what the Trinity was telling me. And yes, it was on level ground.

clh1220

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
worst advice ever

That's your opinion. He just listed around 4k for changing the gears. He can take most of what he has off his truck and put on a new one. 4k for a factory 400 dollar option. It's just as option so instead of telling me that's the worst advice ever. Why don't you break the numbers down. I personally would never trade but I wouldn'tneed those gears that bad.

SilverSurfer15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Its not an opinion, its just a fact.

1) He bought the truck he wanted. He likes it. He doesn't want another truck.
2) He already has 10k in mods. Well, maybe not but close.
3) Regearing is not a big deal. Im not sure why people are freaking out.
4) You have to spend money when you lift a truck. Plain and simple. This is really a drop in the bucket. Hes driving a 50k dollar MSRP truck and cant spend 4k on gears?
5) He added in like an extra 1k for the LSD. So in the end it will be nicer than factory.
6) No one is going to spend all that time and butt pain trying to return a truck to stock. And if you pay someone, then you are just ******* away even more money.

Why would he trade in a truck he probably paid about 42k for, spend 10k in mods, so 52k here, he trades it in for 35k and loses 17k all because of the gear change? It doesn't even compute.

If the truck were stock, MAYBE. But at this point, its just silly.

Sorry to offend you, but its not good advise. The bottom line here is that 4k dollars is a drop in the bucket for anyone driving a brand new 50k dollar truck with 10k in mods.

I think people are just freaking out because you are spending money to regear to factory gear ratio. If you were going to 4.56s, no one would be saying anything negative. But since you "could have gotten these" from the factory for "free" then they think its stupid.

Similar to tow mirrors, if you see a truck that's exactly what you want, you love it, its a good buy, but it doesn't have tow mirrors are you going to leave it on the lot for a different truck you don't like as much that does have the tow mirrors? Just add the missing pieces and be happy.

OP.. you are going to be happy as a clam when this is done and the expense wont matter.

Last edited:

SilverSurfer15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
on an unrelated note, definitely not 5.17 0-60 haha. Stock is like 6.5-7.0 I think?

THETANK

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
^^^^^^^^My stock shorty truck saw a 2 way 0-60 of 6.35 so I to was wondering how a tank would see less than 5.2, hang on that's faster than my new R/T. Not possible with the limited mods

clh1220

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
It's still another option. He is going to have so much money in this truck he is never going to get it back. He is already talkimg about getting a Cummins in a couple of years. So your advice is to keep dropping money into that he will never ever get back. I wouldn't pay 4k for the gears. But what do I know I just drive a big horn that didn't cost 50k.

SilverSurfer15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Stock truck owner vs modded truck owner logic. Its not the same. You can never get back any money you put into a vehicle. You cant even get your base value back.

He could have easily stayed on 35s, but he chose not to. The cheapest solution here would be to just run 35s. Gearing still isn't optimal, but its better than it is now and you save the 4k. Buy the lightest weight 35 too to offset some of the suckage.

But on the current path, this is the only way.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Revo

Revo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
It's still another option. He is going to have so much money in this truck he is never going to get it back. He is already talkimg about getting a Cummins in a couple of years. So your advice is to keep dropping money into that he will never ever get back. I wouldn't pay 4k for the gears. But what do I know I just drive a big horn that didn't cost 50k.
I am beyond 10K in mods put into the truck as of right now, which I understand I'll never be getting back (and I'm very much okay with). What I want is the truck to tow easier, whilst at the same time easing the drive-ability with these 37s. 5K CAD to get me through these 2 next years w/ less worry, and to render the truck more enjoyable to drive is very much worth it to me.

Getting a new truck would only cost me more (a lot more), to have the same options + the very few changes of 2015 (including not being able to tune the truck w/o swapping the PCM...more money there). As Silver mentioned, on a stock truck doing this gear swap would make pretty very little sense, but due to how much has gone into it, trading in really isn't a viable option.

On another note, yeah...5.17 seconds can't be right. It certainly does pull hard, and even with the 35s would easily beat a stock Ram with the Hemi...and a few "modded" civics. :roflsquared:

SilverSurfer15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
When is the install? Im curious to see your initial thoughts when you drive it with the 3.92s