Reliable Remote Start?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mike905

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram Sport
Engine
5.7L
I have a 2013 ram 1500 with push to start & proximity sensors, I'm looking to add remote start, I searched and found most people used Dougs kit from ebay (if not equipped from factory).

So my question is for people that installed the kit, hows it been over the years? any troubles? considering I have to start my truck with a push button rather than a key I'm skeptical on installing a remote start that may fail and prevent my truck from starting when I'm in areas with no cellphone service (camping etc)

If you've installed other kits please name them below along with the reliability of them

bcbouy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 power wagon
Engine
hemi
i had a compustar ft installed a few months ago and use it every morning with absolutely no issues so far.due to the cold weather i've been starting it twice every morning for the last month or so.it shuts off after 10 mins.

Last edited:

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
^^ that can be adjusted take it back to bby and they can chance the run time. most aftermarket units can do like 10, 20, 30min

OP the kits that most install on here are extremely reliable. keep in mind that even if you did say a compustar or viper brand you will still NEED to by that module. So basically its one less thing you really need to buy. These bypass modules have been around for almost 10 years the software keeps getting better and better.

Sportznut

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Had a Flash Logic installed about 2 weeks ago so it is not a very long time sampling.

So far it works fine. I am amazed at the range. Works from 300 feet with direct line of sight through a window.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Had a Flash Logic installed about 2 weeks ago so it is not a very long time sampling.

So far it works fine. I am amazed at the range. Works from 300 feet with direct line of sight through a window.

Did you get an extra remote or is it just using the factory remote?

The biggest downfall to the "module remote starts" like this that use the factory fob is you are limited to the distance of the factory fob.

An aftermarket remote will tons of greater distance than a factory.

Sportznut

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Did you get an extra remote or is it just using the factory remote?

The biggest downfall to the "module remote starts" like this that use the factory fob is you are limited to the distance of the factory fob.

An aftermarket remote will tons of greater distance than a factory.
Actually it is the factory remote. I had both programmed, range is amazing.

I also had one installed ( different brand) on my wife's Toyota 4Runner. It requires a separate fob. Have not used it myself so I don't really know the range.

OP
OP
M

mike905

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram Sport
Engine
5.7L
i had a compustar ft installed a few months ago and use it every morning with absolutely no issues so far.due to the cold weather i've been starting it twice every morning for the last month or so.it shuts off after 10 mins.

Do you guys have push to start & proximity entry by any chance?

bassheadhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No push start for me

Love my Compustar, I can start my truck from 3 blocks away and I'm notified if the alarm is triggered.

The only thing I don't like is that you have to charge the remote often, but even if the remote is dead I can use the factory FOB to remote start (range sucks) or remove the alarm.

The remote support 2 car also, so you can have another compustar installed on your wife car and only have one remote for both.

Tyler Cooke

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
X2 on flash logic. I installed mine myself about a month ago. Extremely pleased with it. Range is pretty good. Right around 200ft is the farthest I've tried. Definitely better than sitting in a cold truck!!!

Bobbo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have Doug's kit from eBay. Have the regular key though, not push to start.
As an arbitrary number I would say 95% of the time it works perfectly. Every once in a while I get a weird glitch where it starts remotely just fine, but then won't let me unlock the doors with the fob. In those cases I have to pull the physical key out from the fob and unlock the door, which then shuts the truck off. I've had the remote start for about 5 months, the glitch has happened about 3 or 4 times.

If the device ever failed, it would be really easy to remove and just plug the factory harness back up.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

tnmotown

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That flash logic doesn't seem to be compatible with a '14 Ram 1500. Are you guys using the remote starts on different year vehicles?

Sportznut

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't know my model number on the remote start but it is definitely a 2014 Ram 1500 with a flash logic remote. I will see if I can find my paperwork to get the model number.

Aileron516

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Flashlogic here....2013 ram utilizing factory remote. I love it.