remember back in the day when....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Am3gross

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 6.4
you could go and get oil, didnt matter what brand, just oil to put in the motor... and it was cheap too... not no more.. everything has been so broken down, i feel society has been brain washed that this or that is better and this is what you need and everything else.. its all about the money!

rant over...

mobile 1 0w40... because its on sale at walmart... thats going to be my oil of choice. i honestly feel that the filter is more important then then the oil, as long as the oil is from a reputable source and the correct viscosity.

out..

Searay245se

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon Laramie
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Just had a my one free oil change done at the dealer I bought my truck from.All in with everything the bill would have been $225.00. Are you freaking kidding me $225.00 for an oil change.Looks like I will never let a dealer change my oil if I have to pay for it.

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
It's pretty ridiculous actually. I was told with my 2500 they can't put it through the "Lube Bay" because of the front driveshaft lubrication, so regular tech rates would apply.

CMil527

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 RAM 1500 LARAMIE-CC
Engine
5.7 Hemi
wow thats crazy for an oil change... any other services included at that price?

reek

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RAM 2500 CC 4x4, 72 D100, 73 D100, 01 RAM 2500 field truck
Engine
6.4 Hemi
wow thats crazy for an oil change... any other services included at that price?

yeah, I'd think a lap dance or two. geez.

changing the oil filter in my 1500 is a pain but not THAT big of one.

As for the original post, yes, I'm with you on simple oil being oil and the filter being more crucial.

For what it's worth, my ex-fiancée was from England and unless motors are made differently over there, the obsession with oil variations and change intervals are not really stressed about. She and her father were amazed when I mentioned the oil change interval on my old Tacoma. Of course they both drank a lot so they do lose some credibility.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Not trying to rub it in but I negotiated for 5 year/100,000 Mile service package. All the standard service, oil change, filter, lubes and rotations are covered by the dealership. Did it on my last truck too. The reason Ram and Chrysler love this right now is because it's easier for them to track the vehicle and offer to buy it back before you hit 100k, and put it on their used lot, while throwing you in for a new truck.

The bonus is if there is a foul up like I once had a JiffyLube, the dealership will own it. Jiffylube will bend you over.

THETANK

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Slightly different but I still hear dinosaurs older than me say "they don't build 'em like they used to" and I reply thank God. Body gaps were horrid, the motors were junk at 100k and amongst another 100 issues the bodies rotted in no time flat. No thanks I will take the new modern vehicles over the junk that rolled off the lines 30+ years ago.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Funny thing about that is most the Ford pickup guys I know still swear the 70's and 80's were the golden age for their trucks. Then they go back to defending their garbage ass powerstrokes.

stricnine

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just make sure the oil is within he standards stated in my owners manual and keep it moving. Nice to see someone else that doesn't make it harder than it should be. There are many people out there that try to micro analyze everything, but to some folks I guess it's their hobby so.....

SilverStreak88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Eco Gasser
Just had a my one free oil change done at the dealer I bought my truck from.All in with everything the bill would have been $225.00. Are you freaking kidding me $225.00 for an oil change.Looks like I will never let a dealer change my oil if I have to pay for it.

$225?? :jawdrop: I pay $31 for oil, vacuum and window cleaning at my local Dodge house. I think the service dept. are ripping people off for sure.

Rustycowl69

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 ram 3500
Engine
V10
not all engines wore out at 100k. chevies for sure did. they used a softer cast iron, and it was common to rebore them at 100k. they also had camshaft and lifter compatibility problems. Mopar were cast with higher nickel content, and could go 200k.The biggest improvement hass been fuel injection. You don't get the fuel contamination of the crankcase oil that you do with carburetor engines.