Remote oil filter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

swine

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So, having looked at how the oil filter was mounted on my 2015 and reading various posts about it being a PITA to change without making a mess, I decided to install a remote oil filter.

I purchased a Perma-Cool kit (10618) that uses a PH8A filter.
Perma kit.jpeg

I ended up changing the remote mount to a side port (1711) because I was concerned about the bend in the oil lines.
Perma mount.jpeg

Since I was changing the oil anyway I decided to add a Fumoto quick drain valve just to make things easier next time.
drain.jpg

The remote filter install was fairly straight forward. I removed the old filter. I tried to use the ziplock bag method to keep from making a mess, but I still managed to spill some oil. My experience just reinforces my desire to put that filter somewhere more accessible.

I installed the two 1/2" NPT to 1/2" hose barbs in the filter adapter and spun it on in place of the filter. I did the same to the remote mount. I should point out that the remote mount that came with the kit used 3/8" NPT to 1/2" hose barbs, so I had to pick up two new 1/2" to 1/2" ones locally for the side port mount.

I mounted the remote filter on the passenger side frame rail as shown in the photo. I made a template to locate the three mounting holes and drilled the frame. I mounted it with the supplied screws.

Since the remote mount uses a 3/4x16 nipple I opted for a Mobil 1 filter that is the equivalent to the PH8A. Below is what it looks like mounted.
filter (2).jpg

After refilling with oil I cranked it up and checked for leaks. Everything was good to go and pressure was the same as before. This should make future oil changes a breeze.

Perma kit.jpeg

Perma mount.jpeg

filter (2).jpg

drain.jpg

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Awesome write up thanks for posting.

oe542bob

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi eTorque 5.7
Nice post Swine, thanks for taking the time. Question on the quick drain valve on the oil pan? What and where did you get that. I have one on my Cummins, and was thinking about one on my 5.7. Thanks again, Bob F

OP
OP
swine

swine

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You can check fitment at fumotousa.com, but I used the F106N. I got mine on Amazon.

SlowRoller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I run Fumoto's (or sim) on both the wife's Edge and my Ram. They're not for everyone, but I sure like 'em!

clh1220

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I figure you still have to get under there. I got some good rhino ramps and drive up on them. I didn't have luck with the bag around the filter but used a 2 liter bottle and it works good. The drain valve might not be a bad idea.

Arth

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 3500 Crew Cab Limited 4x4
Engine
6.7 HO Cummins Turbo Diesel
Where did you get the side port 1711?

SlowRoller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You can buy it as part of a complete 'deluxe' kit from Permacool.

Here are the single filter kits:

Oil Filter Relocation Systems

M22 X 1.5 is the size you'll need.

Deluxe kits retain use of the original filter. Standard kits, like most others, utilize a 3/4 - 16 thread filter (Some folks care about that, some folks don't.)

I believe Summit has some other kits that make use of the side port w/ 3/4 - 16 filter.

I also believe all the dual filter kits use side ports piping.

Last edited:

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
The Fumoto Valve is a a Life Saver! I have them on all our autos.. Your Oil Changes are going to be so Fast and pretty much Mess Free!! Awesome Job!

RCFiddyOne

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Funny I should see this now. I changed my oil 2 days ago and I could not have made more of a mess if I tried. 2 days and I'm still cleaning up oil on the garage floor from that oil filter. Gesh! I'm looking into this. Thanks for the info.

OP
OP
swine

swine

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Where did you get the side port 1711?

Got all of it except the hose barbs from Summit.

You can buy it as part of a complete 'deluxe' kit from Permacool.

Here are the single filter kits:

Oil Filter Relocation Systems

M22 X 1.5 is the size you'll need.

Deluxe kits retain use of the original filter. Standard kits, like most others, utilize a 3/4 - 16 thread filter (Some folks care about that, some folks don't.)

I believe Summit has some other kits that make use of the side port w/ 3/4 - 16 filter.

I also believe all the dual filter kits use side ports piping.

I probably would have went the deluxe if I'd been thinking. I didn't necessarily care if I used the OEM filters and I wasn't sure at first I'd need the side ports, but I didn't like the hose routing with the top ports. Live and learn.

RamWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
102 american for one of those? Lol hell im just gonna bend some seamless tubing and get hosing/fittings from work. I guess those years of fitting paid off.

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine
I like this, just think since I change my oil every 5-6K I'm not down there enough.

I agree unless your 8 feet tall the oil filter location sucks.