Remote oil filter how-to

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GIJoe2010

No sh*t, there I was . . .
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’ll be using stuff on the right on ALL the threads on the fittings. And the tape on the left to cover the ends of the braided lines to prevent (additional) fraying.

47C52997-4EC1-4E3B-B3E9-D3A0A707B1D2.jpeg

misfit77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I got some high temp paste (type 2) from O’Reilly that’s oil/fuel resistant and specifically for fittings to be used in place of tape. I will be using that.
I will be using mopar anoerobic sealant. It's good enough for rear main seals. I use it in all my projects.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

barracudadave67

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If anyone is using AN fittings, you do not have to use anything on the threads. they are desighned
to be used dry. don't be a torque monster on the fittings either, just good and snug. the 37* taper is the seal.
You can use thread sealer on the NPT to AN fittings, into the adopter bases.

Dave

maitai11

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm surprised no one posted an Amsoil (not looking to debate vs other oils ;) ) dual filtration system. Amsoil specifically states on one part of their website that its dual filtration system (BMK23) is not recommended for RAMS - they actually said they don't recommend it. However, before I knew this, I emailed them last year and asked if BMK23 would fit - and they wrote back saying "Yes, and you'll need 'x' filter and 'x' adapter...etc..."

Does anyone know the reason why Amsoil doesn't recommend their dual filtration for Rams? BTW, mine is a 2014 with a 5.7 gas Hemi, 60k miles. Is it just that they can't justify the cost, or something else?

Regards,

Maitai

maitai11

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thank you for your reply. I have not yet installed a dual-filtration system. However, in 2006, there was a problem described here. However, I also have an email into Amsoil to perhaps get an update. Since I'm running Amsoil oil and filter, I would like to keep the entire system Amsoil. I'll report back once I hear from them, and for now...I'm not pressing the "Enter" button on that shopping cart ;)

Regards,

Maitai

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't know about the rams but I've heard they were haveing problems with the dual filters on the fords. There's a difference between just a filter relocation kit and a bypass filter. If you're looking strictly at a relo kit I wouldn't think there'd be many issues.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

maitai11

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hmmm...not sure of the difference between the two...they both allow you to change the filter from a more convenient location, and if I understand correctly, a dual-filtration system holds 10% in reserve (so as not to have too much oil circulating) and also Amsoil sells it as a superior filtration setup. Any other differences?

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
On a relo kit you're just moving you're filter to a different location. On a bypass kit you're adding another or a set of filters that bleeds off from oil supply to be filtered way more than the OEM filter then returns the filtered oil to supply.

maitai11

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Would you (or anyone else) know why Amsoil SPECIFICALLY singles out Rams for not doing a dual filtration system? I've already hit the pause button on my purchase...it's hard to hold off, but I want to get this right. Many thanks.

AFMoulton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
There is a guy on YouTube who is rubbing the bypass filter set up from Amsoil on his 5.7 Hemi.

It’s definitely interesting and wouldn’t necessarily be a bad thing. They probably don’t want to be liable for warranty issues if something happens.

I’m not interested in this as well.

2018 2500 6.4 4x4 4.10 Amsoil SS 0w-40, Softopper
Black Rhino Armory 18x9 +12mm
Cooper Stt MAXX LT295/70R18

2016 Durango 5.7 AWD 3.07 Amsoil SS 5W-30
1996 Nissan Altima 2.4 Amsoil SS 5W-30

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm kinda thinking like AFM, liability issue. It's well documented the hemi has oiling issues wether it's oil, oil pressure, oil flow to the cam/lifter area. I think Amsoil's not going to put themselves in the mix for the reason for cam/lifter failures.

AFMoulton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Did you ever get an email back from Amsoil??

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
7C5758E9-12A9-4DED-8340-6B8A8F2F1280.jpeg Just received my permacool 70988 kit which reuses the factory oil filter just an fyi. I bought -10 an hose and fittings as well to replace the cheap barb fittings and hose that came with the kit. Also says made in America in big letters on the cast pieces

maitai11

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hi AF,

Sorry for the delay...
I've been working on a certification, and the practical portion required 195 typewritten pages!!! :biggun:

WHAT IS WRONG with those people??? :33:

Yes, I DID get a response from Amsoil, and it cleared up any questions or leery feeling about installing a dual filtration system in my 2014 1500 5.7 gas Hemi. Here's what they said:

"I was forwarded your email concern. The BMK23 is very usable with your Ram 5.7L engine. You would also want to use the BK299 adapter and the EaO26 and EaBP100 filters with this system (or you can go with the smaller EaO15 and EaBP90 filters if you are installing this system in a smaller space).

The dual system is very usable with a gas engine and has not been known to cause any performance issues. Where it is not recommended is with the Ram 5.9L/6.7L diesel engines. These two engines are known to have oil pressure issues with a dual system being installed on it.

If you wish to instead go with a BMK21 single system instead of the BMK23, that is fine too. You would use either the EaBP90 or EaBP100 by-pass filter on this single system. The BK13 would not be used with the BMK21, instead you would use the BP67 petcock valve for the single BMK21 kit. The BK13 would only be used on the dual BMK23 kit. There would be no additional parts you would need with this single system.

I have attached a link for the BMK23 and the BMK21 installation instructions. In them you will find a diagram and compete parts break down with what is included with the kit.

BMK23 Installation Instructions:

https://www.amsoil.com/products/bypassfilters/instructions/BMK23_BP252.pdf

BMK21 installation Instructions:

https://www.amsoil.com/bypassfilters/instructions/BMK21_BP83.pdf

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to give me a call."

AND

"The installation of an AMSOIL Dual By-Pass kit will not throw a low-pressure code on your 5.7L.

As for the concerns brought up in this forum post, there was never such an issue with these brackets and they are still sold as they have been for years. The bracket this gentleman had was not an AMSOIL bracket, but a modified/aftermarket bracket that he was using that broke. Hence the reason AMSOIL did not offer any warranty. There are many fabricators who make such aftermarket brackets. When purchasing such a unit, make sure what you are getting is an actual AMSOIL product and not some product that someone has taken the original AMSOIL parts and modified one or two pieces according to their own wants and resold as a “new” kit. I’m only aware of one instance where an AMSOIL bracket broke and that was from a customer who did not tighten the bolts correctly when he mounted it and it fell off when the nuts let loose and broke when it hit the ground while driving down the highway. If there are more instances where these brackets are breaking, users are not calling in with their concerns; this would lead me to believe the cause of the breaks are beyond normal use and they are aware of that and not calling us looking for warranty replacement."

So, there it is from the horse's mouth, a dual bypass system will not adversely affect GAS engines for my year/make/model, but they did have some issues with DIESELS.

I have the parts and will install them soon. I have a lot to do...I'm installing new leather upholstery with heated seats, this bypass system, some odds and ends, and then there's the Suzuki Boulevard and finishing THAT project ;)

Thanks again. Happy Veteran's Day!

Maitai

Did you ever get an email back from Amsoil??

oldguy2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I would do this in a second if truck wasn't still under warranty but I don't want to give the dealer any reason to give me trouble. Maybe later.

500rider86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Hi AF,

Sorry for the delay...
I've been working on a certification, and the practical portion required 195 typewritten pages!!! :biggun:

WHAT IS WRONG with those people??? :33:

Yes, I DID get a response from Amsoil, and it cleared up any questions or leery feeling about installing a dual filtration system in my 2014 1500 5.7 gas Hemi. Here's what they said:

"I was forwarded your email concern. The BMK23 is very usable with your Ram 5.7L engine. You would also want to use the BK299 adapter and the EaO26 and EaBP100 filters with this system (or you can go with the smaller EaO15 and EaBP90 filters if you are installing this system in a smaller space).

The dual system is very usable with a gas engine and has not been known to cause any performance issues. Where it is not recommended is with the Ram 5.9L/6.7L diesel engines. These two engines are known to have oil pressure issues with a dual system being installed on it.

If you wish to instead go with a BMK21 single system instead of the BMK23, that is fine too. You would use either the EaBP90 or EaBP100 by-pass filter on this single system. The BK13 would not be used with the BMK21, instead you would use the BP67 petcock valve for the single BMK21 kit. The BK13 would only be used on the dual BMK23 kit. There would be no additional parts you would need with this single system.

I have attached a link for the BMK23 and the BMK21 installation instructions. In them you will find a diagram and compete parts break down with what is included with the kit.

BMK23 Installation Instructions:

https://www.amsoil.com/products/bypassfilters/instructions/BMK23_BP252.pdf

BMK21 installation Instructions:

https://www.amsoil.com/bypassfilters/instructions/BMK21_BP83.pdf

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to give me a call."

AND

"The installation of an AMSOIL Dual By-Pass kit will not throw a low-pressure code on your 5.7L.

As for the concerns brought up in this forum post, there was never such an issue with these brackets and they are still sold as they have been for years. The bracket this gentleman had was not an AMSOIL bracket, but a modified/aftermarket bracket that he was using that broke. Hence the reason AMSOIL did not offer any warranty. There are many fabricators who make such aftermarket brackets. When purchasing such a unit, make sure what you are getting is an actual AMSOIL product and not some product that someone has taken the original AMSOIL parts and modified one or two pieces according to their own wants and resold as a “new” kit. I’m only aware of one instance where an AMSOIL bracket broke and that was from a customer who did not tighten the bolts correctly when he mounted it and it fell off when the nuts let loose and broke when it hit the ground while driving down the highway. If there are more instances where these brackets are breaking, users are not calling in with their concerns; this would lead me to believe the cause of the breaks are beyond normal use and they are aware of that and not calling us looking for warranty replacement."

So, there it is from the horse's mouth, a dual bypass system will not adversely affect GAS engines for my year/make/model, but they did have some issues with DIESELS.

I have the parts and will install them soon. I have a lot to do...I'm installing new leather upholstery with heated seats, this bypass system, some odds and ends, and then there's the Suzuki Boulevard and finishing THAT project ;)

Thanks again. Happy Veteran's Day!

Maitai

Awesome useful info

misfit77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would do this in a second if truck wasn't still under warranty but I don't want to give the dealer any reason to give me trouble. Maybe later.
So far my warranty repairs have not been engine/oil related. The dealer has not mentioned anything. My biggest fear is that I bust a hose or a swivel joint leaks.
I carry the tooling needed to remove the adaptor and put the old filter back.....after it all cools down.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My worry, warranty (factory and MaxCare) is that they will silently note what was done, regardless of what work you come in for (within reason....if they are under the truck and see it, will they note it?)

Then later one could potentially use that note as a reason to deny coverage.....even if you've removed it and gone back to stock.