Replacement air filter vs stock

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Teknoracer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Looking to replace the stock air filter in the stock box. K&N is an option im sure but is there a better option? Dont wanna go full on cold air intake. Just want a better flowing filter vs stock

craigsez

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I was gonna suggest a bmc filter which made me go look 1st,i only see filters for 02/03...Woulda bought one myself..Got one in my track bike..Love it..k/n..:puke:

pt1655

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I've been very happy with my AEM dry drop in air filter. Just wash it when it's dirty. Flows much better than stock and no noise. Supposedly better at filtering than the K&N. Lots of posts on here on air filters and cold air intakes. Good luck!

DavidN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I recently replaced my stock air filter with a aFe high flow dry filter.

Perfect fitment but couldn't feel any improvement over the stock filter.
Gas mileage dropped about 1mpg.
Not sure if I would recommend it.

jljbtm

Reaction score
Today's cars and trucks are pretty smart and as soon as you add more air the computer is going to compensate by adding more fuel therefore reducing your mpgs .

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

BBRAM2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You know I use to run all the high flow junk until I worked in a shop with a dyno and let me tell you unless you have modded the ever living shat out of your engine there is little to no real life figured and in truth most people's mpg drop due to a heavier foot so they can hear the engine with that high flow

Thing is now a days the ecu will compensate for the change in negligible air flow or even air temperature you add more air or make it colder it just cuts back on fuel to maintain the stoichiometric ratio of 15:1 or what ever parameters the ecu is set to. This is why we need power programs and these piggyback pcm to fool the ecu or re program it so long and short get a napa gold filter to maximize the protection of your intake system and enjoy a long lasting trouble free engine or stick in a k&n and hope it does not fall apart and let crap in your engine and after being a mechanic for 17 years trust me it happens it makes a mess and it's not fun

HuskerRam

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
Correct me if I'm wrong, because I'm coachable...NA engines can only hold a finite amount of air in the cylinders. Adding a filter that "flows more" is irrelevant because each cylinder is going to max itself out on every stroke regardless of the material at the end of the intake.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
NA engines can only hold a finite amount of air in the cylinders. Adding a filter that "flows more" is irrelevant because each cylinder is going to max itself out on every stroke regardless of the material at the end of the intake.
Yes you are correct about a naturally aspirated engine cylinder being able to hold a finite amount of air. With that being said.
Adding a filter that flows more helps by hopefully lowering the resistance (amount of vacuum) cause by the restriction of the said air filter. The more resistance of the air in the intake, the less amount of air in the cylinder. Just like when you supercharge an engine, raising the intake pressure increases the amount of air in the cylinder, only in reverse.

jljbtm

Reaction score
Think of an engine as a compressor so much "air in/air out" just by adding a less restrictive inlet means nothing until you have a less restrictive exhaust. By flowing more air you probably need the engine returned for that amount of Air. UNLESS YOU ARE SUPERCHARGED601878e77b77af0883adcae549c71b17.jpg[emoji16]

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk