Rerouting Procharger Air Intake?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gamester

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Hey guys,

So one thing my speed shop guy and I don't like about the Procharger kit for these trucks is that the air intake filter ends up be located right beside the passenger's side header sucking in all that super heated air, which I bet is robbing some HP.

So, I would like to reroute it over the engine in the big open area on the driver's side. My first thought is to get a K&N 77 Series kit and some how rig it up to work on the driver's side instead and hook up an air tube from that to the blower air intake tube.

Has anyone done this kind of thing before? If so, any suggestions or recommendations on how to accomplish this reroute cleanly?

Thanks

Last edited:

Dangulo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey guys,

So one thing my speed shop guy and I don't like about the Procharger kit for these trucks is that the air intake filter ends up be located right beside the passenger's side header sucking in all that super heated air.

So, I would like to reroute it over the engine in the big open area on the driver's side. My first thought is to get a K&N 77 Series kit and some how rig it up to work on the driver's side instead and hook up an air tube from that to the blower air intake tube.

Has anyone done this kind of thing before? If so, any suggestions or recommendations on how to accomplish this reroute cleanly?

Thanks

My first question would be what hood are you running? I think you could use the functional scoop from the mopar CAI kit or run one of the functional hoods with the vents installed. I would the just run a filter on the charger

OP
OP
Gamester

Gamester

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
My first question would be what hood are you running? I think you could use the functional scoop from the mopar CAI kit or run one of the functional hoods with the vents installed. I would the just run a filter on the charger

Interesting, didn't know that kind of setup was even available for these trucks. I have the stock hood currently and probably want to keep it that way, just need a good cheap and clean way of routing the air cleaner away from high heat temps.

Dangulo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Interesting, didn't know that kind of setup was even available for these trucks. I have the stock hood currently and probably want to keep it that way, just need a good cheap and clean way of routing the air cleaner away from high heat temps.

Regardless of whatever intake setup you go with your charged air is entering an intercooler is it not? At that point I think racking your brain on this won't provide much for the time and effort put in

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I know you have the supercharged truck but coming from many forced induction vehicles I can tell you this. At speed the air intake temps would be similar regardless of its position. the only time the AITs would show a difference would be sitting idle, but the intake path if its all air to air cools very very fast.

I know what you want to accomplish, but coming from someone who has had many forced induction vehicles, both turbo and supercharged the effort is not shown as gains.

Look under the hood of a BMW 335 twin turbo. Everything is right on top of eachother and yet a cold air intake makes no gains once you have more than 20mph of air flow.

OP
OP
Gamester

Gamester

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Yea, you guys are probably right, maybe it isn't worth messing with in that case.

Thanks

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yea, you guys are probably right, maybe it isn't worth messing with in that case.

Thanks

Hey you dont know till you try, but in every case Ive spent days creating and welding up a new intake Ive gained nothing. I think mightycarmods on youtube did a great video of this not too long ago as well.

wink

Beast Pilot
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Sport RCSB
Engine
5.7 Hemi
^^^ Bingo!

I've gone through every style of filter, from different models that attached directly to the blower bell mouth, to commercial CAI's, to pure grill only intakes. Plus a few esoteric ideas I tried. Not a one of them made an iota of performance difference. The only thing that did was adding a water box and filling it with ice. But I run an Air-Water-Air intercooler, or as Vortech calls it, aftercooler. That won't help an Air-2-Air though.

wink