Reset oil life meter, inreased capacity oil filter?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cajunhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
How do I reset oil life, mileage meter? Saw there were a couple options over the factory oil filter for increased capacity. Read a thread the other day, just tried to search forum for info. I'd rather be changing oil and swapping in my 180 thermostat than spend half the day reading. One or two gallons of antifreeze for the swap? Thanks, I'd rather be wrenching than reading.

twooldfarmers

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Laramie Crew 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
don't be putting a cold thermostat into your modern electonically controlled motor

they run most effeciently at what we (used to think) was too warm

not so any longer and if you drop the operating temperature by about 45 degrees the ECM will spend all its time trying to compensate for what it sees as a problem within the system

all of todays systems are designed to run between 225 and 230 degrees and they function well there

OP
OP
cajunhemi

cajunhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well, one gallon of antifreeze did the trick. I've never had any issues swapping to a colder thermostat. I theorize, cooler motor, more power, less chance of detonation, better mileage. I have a 93 hemi fever tune, so I will compensate for any issues with my next update. Just waiting for a couple more bolt ons before I bother to update the tune again. Ive run colder thermostats on my GMC and Ford products, always with a tune with no issues. I understand what you are saying, but my vehicles never remain in stock configuration for long.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Turn the key to the last position before you start the engine, press the gas pedal 3 times, and then turn off, and then start your truck. Larger capacity bypass systems can be bought for your oil filter.

OP
OP
cajunhemi

cajunhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You can also reset from the dash display.
If I read the mysterious owners manual again, I'd prolly see this. Ha Ha! I'm bout to go check. The Autozone computer did not list increased capacity oil filter when I picked up antifreeze this morning. Thanks for the replies.

ExpressRules

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Express Crew Cab & 2019 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I should have said you can with a 2014. Just noticed you have a 2013 so I may have lied :)

OP
OP
cajunhemi

cajunhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I should have said you can with a 2014. Just noticed you have a 2013 so I may have lied :)
Page 107 in the owners manual. It is the press pedal 3 times routine. Still have 29% on the oil life. I noticed today the the air filter was bad. I bought the truck last month with 19,000 miles on it from a dealership. I was thinking if they were too lazy, cheap to change filter, did they perform oil change? Tossed in a K/N drop in for now until I get Vararam. I never trust a dealership to do the right thing.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Well, one gallon of antifreeze did the trick. I've never had any issues swapping to a colder thermostat. I theorize, cooler motor, more power, less chance of detonation, better mileage. I have a 93 hemi fever tune, so I will compensate for any issues with my next update. Just waiting for a couple more bolt ons before I bother to update the tune again. Ive run colder thermostats on my GMC and Ford products, always with a tune with no issues. I understand what you are saying, but my vehicles never remain in stock configuration for long.

You will actually get less mileage. Lower Temps mean denser air, more power, etc. That means more fuel gets added to compensate, that is why modern engines run so hot, efficiency.