Resonator Delete

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
This may be a stupid question , but what exactly does the resonator Delete do for ya ?
Increase flow ?
Sounds better?
Help with droan ?

Also what exactly is the reasoning for having the resonators , and where is it located within the exhaust ?

Pictures would be nice

My truck : 14 Ram 4x4 5.7L , 6speed xsmn , 355 differentials with Carven Competitor Series installed .

Thanks in advance .

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
On the hemi with two pipes out the rear the resonators (2 of them) are before the tips

Hipps2000

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 Bighorn
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
I bought the magnaflow 16869 cat back kit...it replaces everything behind the cats including muffler. Bolts right up and this way I still have my stock exhaust. The kit comes with a 22" magna flow muffler and all new pipes minus the resonators and 5" tips out back. Really nice system not too loud but mean sound. Very minimal drone on occasion with mds on. All stainless..I did this before adding my headers. With the added headers real nice sound!:superhack:

Last edited:

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
as i understand exhausts, resonators eliminate drone.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
A resonator is an anechoic chamber that deadens sound waves of a particular frequency or all frequencies depending on design.

Resonators, in a vehicle, are used to cancel out soundwaves caused by the exhaust pulsing and cooling within the system. This resonance, aka drone, is inherent in all exhaust systems.

Normally you find them downstream of the muffler at the rear of the exhaust system near the tailpipe, just before the exit. There are some car makers that place a resonator in the system in front of the muffler. The difference between the two boxes is a muffler is pretty densely packed with sound deadening materials and baffles vs. the resonator which is a loosely arranged set of baffles within a metal case. I've seen some resonators that have very little to no baffling and is "tuned" by design of the box to cancel out some specific soundwave frequencies.

Benefits? Quieter exhaust with no drone.

Downside? Quiet exhaust.

Variations? Yes, lots of them. For instance, my car's stock exhaust had resonators and my aftermarket Corsa system has resonators...but it sounds totally different.

Better flow? With a reso delete you'd think the flow would be better but in many cases it really doesn't change. A resonator is not built like a muffler so it really won't impede flow that much. If anything, it helps maintain a certain exhaust scavenging velocity to avoid loss of low end torque.

Pictures - Here's a few that show you a resonator in systems, out of a system, etc...

2007 Ram MegaCab HEMI - from left to right muffler, resonator and tailpipe removed:

e07.jpg

2014 Ram CC 6.4L HEMI - First pic, look at the rear wheelwell right behind the tire. You'll see the faint aluminum glint of the resonator at the end of the system. Second pic, an up close shot of the reso. Third pic, reso and tip on the ground. Fourth & fifth pic, opens space where reso was and replacement tail pipe section where the resonator was:

20150411_120909_zpsxboqdpfd.jpg

20150411_121327_zpsnndg4nzk.jpg

20150411_124800_zpssjlyrdcg.jpg

20150411_124747_zpstl1jmes7.jpg

PICT0001_zpsm5fesonp.jpg

The MDS system on your truck will introduce more drone than an non-MDS equipped engine will due to the soundwaves it produces in the system.

You can attenuate that by 1) don't go full auto or, 2) tune the truck and remove MDS.

OP
OP
R.L.K.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
A resonator is an anechoic chamber that deadens sound waves of a particular frequency or all frequencies depending on design.

Resonators, in a vehicle, are used to cancel out soundwaves caused by the exhaust pulsing and cooling within the system. This resonance, aka drone, is inherent in all exhaust systems.

Normally you find them downstream of the muffler at the rear of the exhaust system near the tailpipe, just before the exit. There are some car makers that place a resonator in the system in front of the muffler. The difference between the two boxes is a muffler is pretty densely packed with sound deadening materials and baffles vs. the resonator which is a loosely arranged set of baffles within a metal case. I've seen some resonators that have very little to no baffling and is "tuned" by design of the box to cancel out some specific soundwave frequencies.

Benefits? Quieter exhaust with no drone.

Downside? Quiet exhaust.

Variations? Yes, lots of them. For instance, my car's stock exhaust had resonators and my aftermarket Corsa system has resonators...but it sounds totally different.

Better flow? With a reso delete you'd think the flow would be better but in many cases it really doesn't change. A resonator is not built like a muffler so it really won't impede flow that much. If anything, it helps maintain a certain exhaust scavenging velocity to avoid loss of low end torque.

Pictures - Here's a few that show you a resonator in systems, out of a system, etc...

2007 Ram MegaCab HEMI - from left to right muffler, resonator and tailpipe removed:

e07.jpg

2014 Ram CC 6.4L HEMI - First pic, look at the rear wheelwell right behind the tire. You'll see the faint aluminum glint of the resonator at the end of the system. Second pic, an up close shot of the reso. Third pic, reso and tip on the ground. Fourth & fifth pic, opens space where reso was and replacement tail pipe section where the resonator was:

20150411_120909_zpsxboqdpfd.jpg

20150411_121327_zpsnndg4nzk.jpg

20150411_124800_zpssjlyrdcg.jpg

20150411_124747_zpstl1jmes7.jpg

PICT0001_zpsm5fesonp.jpg

The MDS system on your truck will introduce more drone than an non-MDS equipped engine will due to the soundwaves it produces in the system.

You can attenuate that by 1) don't go full auto or, 2) tune the truck and remove MDS.
Fantastic explanation Sir !
This was exactly what I was after .