Return to stock before dealer visit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

*tim*

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
My truck is going to the dealer for a broken manifold bolt. It has a vararam, electric fan, 180 deg thermostat, catch can an hemifever tuning. How much should I return to stock before taking it in

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Ram Night

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would put everything back to stock except the fan and 180 stat. They can not prove that these two items caused the manifold problem.

Curlyp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would put everything back to stock except the fan and 180 stat. They can not prove that these two items caused the manifold problem.

Does a catch can void manufacturers warranty?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would just pull the tune-
That's the one thing they can fck u on because they can update ur pcm and hose ur tune.
Just get with the service advisor and tell him what u have Done on the truck- None of that can cause a exhaust manifold bolt to break- Plus that particular issue is so fckn common on rams.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
i have found it often depends on the dealer. they may over look things, or flag your vehicle with the mods, setting you up for loss of warranty on certain items due to your mods.

OP
OP
T

*tim*

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Also I just rolled over 50k miles so this will probably be the last warranty visit

07MegaCabRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
I would tell them it's tuned and don't touch it - have them fix the bolt. No need to remove the stuff if your truck won't visit for warranty.

Also, it will take less than an hour for you to do it. I've done a few and it's pretty simple. I purchased the new gasket and manifold bolt set for less than $30.00..

OP
OP
T

*tim*

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Also there is the seatbelt recall, so will atleast do the tune

Last edited:

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pull the tune the rest doesn't matter.

arod412

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just put back what you can...the more the better. Dealers are being **** with any little thing now, so you just don't know who is the tech and manager. It also depends on what you are getting serviced as well.

Start with the tune, catch can, and cai....everything else you cant really see.

sent from my phone

Gump

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pull the tune. That's all I did and it's good because they plugged in and did an update. The manifold bolts on these trucks suck. Less than 10K miles since the new bolts and I can faintly hear a leak starting again.

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
My truck is going to the dealer for a broken manifold bolt. It has a vararam, electric fan, 180 deg thermostat, catch can an hemifever tuning. How much should I return to stock before taking it in

Only the tune, everything else is impossible for them to blame for a manifold bolt--especially given the Hemi's known problem with manifolds and bolts.

Tune you need to pull because you don't want some ***** making a note about it in the record so that it could be used in future to deny warranty work.

The other thing is sometimes they have service updates for the PCM and if they flash over your tune, who knows what kind of pain that will cause.

Robocop_9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just pull the tune. Leave the can and the intake. Also speak to your dealership about mods and get their input/ opinion. Some are ignorant but some will flat out tell you it's up to Chrysler to prove the mod created the problem. I've been to my dealership for warranty work WITH bolt ons and they approve. They told me it's not an issue unless Chrysler can prove the mod created the problem. Save yourself the trouble and time and just pull the tune

Jeremy73

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Not to steal the thread, but I've gotten a tick on my '12 for about 3 days and had check engine light come on yesterday. Just now dropped it off a dealership to have checked out but check engine light is not for exhaust leak, it's for something with the evap system he said. Guy said if exhaust leak was present then it would throw a code. So since it's $89 diagnostic and they would count the tick and light as separate issues it's 2 separate fees. I just told them to check out the light and I'll see about the tick later. But would an exhaust bolt and leak always throw an engine code?? Thanks

BiGMERF

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 SLT 4x4
Engine
v6
at the very least pull the tune

OP
OP
T

*tim*

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Not to steal the thread, but I've gotten a tick on my '12 for about 3 days and had check engine light come on yesterday. Just now dropped it off a dealership to have checked out but check engine light is not for exhaust leak, it's for something with the evap system he said. Guy said if exhaust leak was present then it would throw a code. So since it's $89 diagnostic and they would count the tick and light as separate issues it's 2 separate fees. I just told them to check out the light and I'll see about the tick later. But would an exhaust bolt and leak always throw an engine code?? Thanks

Mine hasn't thrown a code but does stumble a little when the engine is cold. Not sure if it's related since it doesn't do it with the stock tune but hoping it goes away with the exhaust leak