Royal Purple

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chase558

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l HEMI
I have some ?'s about the Royal Purple Product line. My 2012 only has 1500 miles on it and at the first oil change I would like to start using the Royal Purple Oil and would also like to change my tranny fluild to the Purple stuff also. What is ya'lls opinion? thanks for the feed back.

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
I'm not a fan of any royal purple products. They have actually been in trouble with the better business bureau for false claims
BP Lubricants said it hired the independent laboratory Southwest Research Institute, in San Antonio, to analyze power output of gasoline engines with Royal Purple Oil and with BP’s Castrol oil for comparisons. “The results were provided to the challenger’s expert statistician who was not informed of the identity of the candidate oils,” *** stated. “The challenger’s [BP’s] expert determined a 0.9 percent difference in power between the oils, which did not rise to the level of statistical significance, and is well below the 3 percent claim made by the advertiser.”

SwRI did additional tests to independently determine the differences in fuel economy, emissions data and engine temperature between Royal Purple and Castrol motor oils. According to SwRI, “there was no statistically significant difference between the fuel economy, emissions data or engine temperature between the two candidate oils,” *** said.

I've always believed that they spend to much money on irrelevant advertising
I lost a set of brand new clutch plates in my dirtbike after one harescramble(8miles)because of the amount of slipping when i used royal purple oil
I'll stick to Amsoil and bel-ray

JET

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
1996/2011 Ram 1500 Sport
Engine
5.9 Magnum/Hemi 5.7
To each his own. I've used Royal Purple syn in my truck and haven't had any problems. As for trans stuff i wouldn't change it. I've heard to many horror stories from people that have done it. Change the fluid in trans and instant problem. I never changed the trans fluid in my 96 Ram. It worked til it let go after 245k miles and 16yrs.

talon6

Reaction score
Ram Year
2002 QCSB 4X4
Engine
supercharged 5.9
i also like the royal purple oil. if you would have seen how clean the inside of my engine was when i opened up at 68k to do a cam upgrade you would have been amazed. everything still looked like new. crosshatching in the cylinder walls from the factory still looked awesome.

as for the tranny. i would stick with the mopar stuff. i have also heard bad things about using different brands. thats what i put back in when a did my 2600 stall t/c.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Never really tried royal purple because of same studies I have seen that shows it is not very good. There are tons of oils that are not great and people buy and use all the time. Jiffy Lube uses Quaker State and Pennzoil and they have been shown to be below average in all studies I have ever seen. I do notice most studies are difficult to find as all oil companies want to say they are best but are have trouble proving it.
I agree to each his own.

$miley

blackout11

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 R/T
Engine
hemi 5.7
Wtf you guys all got screwed i have the next 6 oil changes in my truck for free from dealer and i can bring my own oil lol wheel and deal

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Here's more on the false advertisements by royal purple
Article from LUBE REPORT
My dad and brother both race their cars, they didn't have any real problems with it like I did but neither of them were very happy with it

blackout11

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 R/T
Engine
hemi 5.7
Never really tried royal purple because of same studies I have seen that shows it is not very good. There are tons of oils that are not great and people buy and use all the time. Jiffy Lube uses Quaker State and Pennzoil and they have been shown to be below average in all studies I have ever seen. I do notice most studies are difficult to find as all oil companies want to say they are best but are have trouble proving it.
I agree to each his own.

$miley

I would not let jiffy lube change my trash bags they suck heard way to many horror stories from people.

Not putting oil back in forgetting to tighten the drain plug NO THANK U

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I agree man jiffy lube sucks and I actually don't let anyone change my oil don't trust them. Always seem to mess up something. Just pointing out they use pretty poor quality oil that barely passes through spec.

$miley

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
i used royal purple in my differentials and never had problems, but that is my only experience with it

JET

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
1996/2011 Ram 1500 Sport
Engine
5.9 Magnum/Hemi 5.7
Honestly you just have to decide whats best for your truck. There are so many different views on whats the best oil. Just like Ford saying there the number 1 selling truck in America for the last 30 yrs. True but if you take Chevy and GMC trucks (same company) well you decide. Its a he said she said thing. They all want your business that's why its so hard to pick.

blackout11

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 R/T
Engine
hemi 5.7
Oh ya sorry never used it either do some research and see what comes up.

the codes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
I used it and liked it, gonna try amsoil next. As for the tranny fluid, I took it to a guy Iv known for a long time to change the tranny fluid, before I started making my college drives to keep everything dependable, and he asked how many miles were on it, I said 146k, he said dont touch it, dont mess with it, dont even look at it. I said alright haha

S

scotts2012ram

The company I work for uses it in everything from gas power welder to semis. Would I put the stuff in my truck? No. It makes the semis louder until warmed up. Yes it been tested they do sound level test there for hearing protection. We get more leaks with it and it makes it harder to tell where its coming from most the time because its all the same color

mct601

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Ive been hearing more and more bad about Royal Purple lately. Think I'll run amsoil in mine. Just broke 1,000 this morning. I just bought it on the 12th lol

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Color does not make it good redline is the same way does poor in tests.

$miley