Royal Purple Oil

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dhows31

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I am planning on switching to royal purple full synthetic and filter. What filter fits and how long can I drive on the synthetic oil I have heard 10 to 15 thousand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
find your filter upper right

Royal Purple HPS is a good oil, their over the counter stuff is just ok. Run a UOA is the only way to determine how long your engine can run an oil.

Ferro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am planning on switching to royal purple full synthetic and filter. What filter fits and how long can I drive on the synthetic oil I have heard 10 to 15 thousand.

I don't care what oil You run. I would never run any oil for 10 or 15 thousand. Especially a 5.7.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Why do you say RP is not so good? And what filter to get if not RP

Their filters are great, I run them myself. Their filters will outlast any oil, they are spun microglass and do not degrade like paper. The RP otc oil was very popular when it came out, but they took helpful elements out of their otc oil, stuff like moly, read this. There are many reasons for this, from meeting what they percieve is future API standards to having a more ash free formula for the clean diesels. Other popular oils like Penzoil or Mobil 1 or most oils have moly, it is very beneficial. Especially for the Hemi, moly is a good element. Now, if you want to run Royal Purple oil, their HPS has good moly and good zinc. If you are mostly concerned with a long oil change interval, one oil stands above all of the others, Amsoil SS. It is not hype but science and is backed up with many uoa's. Read syn thread for more detailed and widespread opinions.

OP
OP
dhows31

dhows31

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Right now I'm using a blend from my local oil shop and I'm trying to save a bit of money. It's costing me $65

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Ok dude, well Costco deal Mobil one is the best reoccurring deal in motor oil. When it's on sale it's 26 bucks for 6 qrts. A little over 4 dollars a quart, pair that is a fram ultra synthetic filter, that is about the best protection you will get for a decent oil change interval. Somerimes you can get similar pricing off ebay for the penzoil platinum if you don't want to go to costco. 10k miles would be likely. good luck to you

OP
OP
dhows31

dhows31

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ok dude, well Costco deal Mobil one is the best reoccurring deal in motor oil. When it's on sale it's 26 bucks for 6 qrts. A little over 4 dollars a quart, pair that is a fram ultra synthetic filter, that is about the best protection you will get for a decent oil change interval. Somerimes you can get similar pricing off ebay for the penzoil platinum if you don't want to go to costco. 10k miles would be likely. good luck to you

Thanks I appreciate it greatly

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
D: A lot of good advice above.

I am curious though: what are your driving style and habits?

Do you do mostly city driving\stop and go?
Or mostly highway\interstate?

This plays a huge part in your length of OCI.

Also do you have plans on following your OLM? Or going by Miles?

According to many thousands of used oil analysis today synthetics can easily go 10,000 miles between oil changes.

Even PYB has shown it can go easily 8000 miles between oil changes it is a remarkable conventional oil.

Like I said and I am a true believer in through viewing many UOAs your oil change interval depends & varies greatly on your driving habits and style.

If all else keep a eye on your OLM it actually is pretty smart. It factors in many things as well as watches two or three algorithms.

Something to remember also we are not still in the 70s\80s don't be brainwashed into thinking you have to change your oil every 3000 to 5000 miles.

Today's conventional\synthetic oils are quite advanced robust and remarkable in most situations they can easily go 7000 miles with mostly stop and go driving. With mostly highway\interstate driving these same oils can easily achieve 8000 to 10,000 mile OCI. Thus the reason I like following my OLM it basically factors in all of this for me.

Good luck in your quest!

Last edited:

Ram Man

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Sport
Engine
In my experience, I just switched from Mobil 1 to RP 2k miles ago and there is noticeably more engine noise.

Now this could also be due to the cold weather.

Next change I think I am going to go back to Mobil 1 or shell out the coin for Redline and test out the hype!

OP
OP
dhows31

dhows31

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
D: A lot of good advice above.

I am curious though: what are your driving style and habits?

Do you do mostly city driving\stop and go?
Or mostly highway\interstate?

This plays a huge part in your length of OCI.

Also do you have plans on following your OLM? Or going by Miles?

According to many thousands of used oil analysis today synthetics can easily go 10,000 miles between oil changes.

Even PYB has shown it can go easily 8000 miles between oil changes it is a remarkable conventional oil.

Like I said and I am a true believer in through viewing many UOAs your oil change interval depends & varies greatly on your driving habits and style.

If all else keep a eye on your OLM it actually is pretty smart. It factors in many things as well as watches two or three algorithms.

Something to remember also we are not still in the 70s\80s don't be brainwashed into thinking you have to change your oil every 3000 to 5000 miles.

Today's conventional\synthetic oils are quite advanced robust and remarkable in most situations they can easily go 7000 miles with mostly stop and go driving. With mostly highway\interstate driving these same oils can easily achieve 8000 to 10,000 mile OCI. Thus the reason I like following my OLM it basically factors in all of this for me.

Good luck in your quest!

Great info right there! But my driving habits are very little interstate, a few times a month unless it's certain circumstances. I am in the city a lot and I mostly drive about 45 to 55 on the main hwy and back roads. So city 40% and hwy and back roads 60%

Ferro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm old-school. There is no way I would drive a $50,000 truck 10,000 Miles before I do a oil change. I think people overthink the whole oil thing. If you change your oil every 3 to 4000 Miles with a good quality oil you will never have nothing to worry about. The way I look at it oil changes are not that expensive if I can't afford to change my oil every three too four months I have no business driving a $50,000 truck. Not to mention I have peace of mind knowing my oil is always clean. Maybe this is why I don't have a tic in my motter everybody is always talking about. The 5.7 don't like dirty oil.

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
There are literally thousands, I'm sure tens of thousands of owners who use Synthetic Motor Oils who extend their OCI to 8K-10K miles (With Zero Worries) or issues due to the fact they educated themselves with the efficiency of today's engines & Oils!

I know @ least 13 owners who have adapted the 10K mile OCI or Once a year OCI. TIG for one has 3 Fords in which have had the once a year OCI since new w/M1 AFE 0W-20 & all 3 have over 200K miles on them. He actually showed us pictures of the Fusion. He had to replace a valve cover gasket.
The upper valvetrain was virtually spotless as well as underneath the valve cover itself. Truthfully the upper valvetrain looked brand-new.

Just for the record my 5.7L is perfectly quiet purrs like a kitten with 8000 mile oil changes. I do follow my OLM with no worries! Actually sleep really really good at night.
I also never have a concern about my oil being clean due to my driving habits/style plus the quality of oil filter in use.

D: One thing I want you to remember I'm just sharing my thoughts and my experiences with you. I'm not one that gets butt hurt when you don't do as I do. You have to educate yourself and do the research and then make your decisions on what you want to do with your routine maintenance.

Last edited:

Ferro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What do you think is cleaner an oil that you have 3000 miles on or an oil that you have 10,000 miles on all I'm saying.

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
After all of my educated research and talking to many engineers. It has been proven that a used oil filter filters better or filters down to a lower micron rating then a new filter.

So actually if your engine is sludge free and clean and you're using a top-quality filter the oil actually inside the engine is most the time cleaner then new oil that you pour in due to that old filter is filtering down to a smaller micron rating do too it's used.

Shannow has proved this three or four times within BITOG. Some owners actually even do not change the oil filter at the time of the OCI they will leave the old oil filter on for 2 to 3 weeks. So the Old oil filter will actually clean the new oil even better. Within a well maintained engine.

Just sharing what I've read and researched
So actually oil with 10,000 miles of service with using a top-quality oil filter in fact just might be cleaner.
Due to the oil filter is filtering down to a lower micron rating.
(The additive package has only been depleted down more)

Most will have no desire to believe this! I really don't care your Ram is not under my control.
I know Shannow is a very well versed Within Tribology & I take his advice & teachings very seriously. I'm only sharing what I have been told.

Whether you believe that or not is no concern of mine. I just know what I've read and been told by some very intelligent individuals Who do this for a living.

Like I have said within most all of my posts---->I'm not here to convince you to do as I do! You need to do your own research! I have spent years doing it. Many headaches and tons of scratch paper!
I'm only sharing what I have been told & reasearched!
I never once have had an engine malfunction or failure due to my Oil Selection or maintenance routine over 36 years of doing my own OCI.

Last edited:

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
I'm old-school. There is no way I would drive a $50,000 truck 10,000 Miles before I do a oil change. I think people overthink the whole oil thing. If you change your oil every 3 to 4000 Miles with a good quality oil you will never have nothing to worry about. The way I look at it oil changes are not that expensive if I can't afford to change my oil every three too four months I have no business driving a $50,000 truck. Not to mention I have peace of mind knowing my oil is always clean. Maybe this is why I don't have a tic in my motter everybody is always talking about. The 5.7 don't like dirty oil.

There is a difference between dirty oil and depleted oil. That being said, nothing wrong with 10K oil changes with a quality synthetic and occasional oil analysis to see were things are at if the OCI is allowed per the owners manual recommendations.

Also, you are right in being "old school" in 3K-4K oil changes without data showing it is depleted and in actual need of change. Spending $50K on a truck or $25K has nothing to do with the discussion.

Not out to change your mind on the subject but just interject it is not wrong for people who do their due diligence in extending out OCI's if they have the data and testing to back it up.