Royal Purple Oil

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lowvaluetarget

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I bought my truck used with 30k on it. As far as I can tell, conventional oil was used in it, or at least it had it in there when I got it. I'm not sure if the dealership I bought it from changed the oil or not, but going by the OLM, (at 50%) I went ahead and replaced the oil with Royal Purple (previously a Mobil 1 guy) and Wix Filter.

I did notice out of the gate -- a few miles after the oil change, my hemi tick was gone and the engine idled much smoother. It wasn't a rough idle, but you could feel it through the steering wheel. My next oil change will be RP with a RP filter (21 micron filtering with synthetic media vs a Wix which is 25 micron with paper media). I'm probably nitpicking with the 4 micron difference, but filtering through the life of the filter is better based on what i've seen in my research -- again, nitpicking.

I check my oil at every gas fillup, I run a catch can, and I plan on changing my oil every 7k (cost vs beneift).

In the end, use a good synthetic oil Mobile1, Amsoil, or Royal Purple for instance -- a good filter, Fram ultra, wix xp, or royal purple, and drive your truck. Find what you like, what fits your budget and change your oil and filter regularly. You'll be no better or worse off than anyone else that does the same -- not how we drive our trucks.

For me RP works really well, the RP filter over a wix is a feel good thing.

OP
OP
dhows31

dhows31

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Do the '12s even have an oil life minister bc I haven't found it unless I'm just looking in the wrong place

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fergeson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Do the '12s even have an oil life minister bc I haven't found it unless I'm just looking in the wrong place

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Should be under vehicle info on screen, along with tire pressure, oil pressure, and a few other helpful things.
If you just have an ST then you may not have the computer in the center cluster