Royal Purple oil filter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

URdone21

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Quad Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I've read on here that a good oil filter is important if you're going to shell out big bucks for good oil. I was looking at the Royal Purple oil filter here: http://tinyurl.com/padp8kb

Question: Does a oil filter like that have to be changed every time the oil is changed? Don't know if this affects anything, but I do very little driving. Maybe 500 miles a month.
Thanks

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You shouldn't have to change it out unless you are doing extended oil changes. Synthetic mediums do a hellva job compared to paper medium which tend to get hard and brittle with heat from engine and oil.

OP
OP
URdone21

URdone21

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Quad Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You shouldn't have to change it out unless you are doing extended oil changes. Synthetic mediums do a hellva job compared to paper medium which tend to get hard and brittle with heat from engine and oil.

Good to know. I'm going to do 1, maybe 2 oil changes a year. So i'll put a new oil filter in once a year.

bullbutchh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Good to know. I'm going to do 1, maybe 2 oil changes a year. So i'll put a new oil filter in once a year.
I just bought two of the RP filters too. I only have 1400 but I'll change the filter every time i change the oil..It was only like $12. Gonna switch to RP oil this weekend.

OP
OP
URdone21

URdone21

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Quad Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just bought two of the RP filters too. I only have 1400 but I'll change the filter every time i change the oil..It was only like $12. Gonna switch to RP oil this weekend.

I read that it was generally recommended to wait to switch to pure synthetic oil until you've put a few thousand miles on the truck. Can anyone shed some more light on this?

03MopaRamman

RAM SPORT / 18 SRT
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 (2003 Forgottens SOLD and 2014 SOLD)
Engine
Hemi 5.7 (392 Hemi) 86 Ford .308 HO Roller
I believe in changing the filter every time regardless, especially on warranty cause your max time on the filter may come halfway through that second Oil swap hence you will need to also change oil because of that. Up here on a new Mopar its no more than 6 Months or 7800 Miles (approx because we are Km 13000).

On my Car its royal purple once a year with new long Mobil-1 filter or K&N (Don't yet have the RP ones here).

As for Synthetic I waited till I had 20 K Km (12000 Miles) before I made the switch on my new Jeep and thats a pretty good guage. mileage is now much better than the first 12 K miles on the Dyno Oil which BTW I changed out earlier to warranty requirements "Ol School 3 Months or 3K Miles (5000 KM). On the Synthetic I choose a new 4 Month 4500 mile Schedule (7500 KM) which keeps me well within the warranty req. for the Engine.

lelikmed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummnis 6.7

Is Mopar filter good at all?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I doubt Mopar filters are any good, unless they are synthetic media. Anyhow, to OP you would have zero issues going 1 year with those low miles and a Royal Purple filter and good synthetic oil. In fact you could probably double that and still be ok, depending on oil even triple that. If you want to know what your engine is doing and how good your oil is after one year and 6k miles, go to blackstone labs and they will send you a specimen cup to send in a sample of your oil. the sample will be read and tell you how your engine is running, and how much life is in your oil. You will get a number called TBN, and that is how many additives you have left in your oil. A good oil will possibly have better TBN at 10k miles then a cheap oil out of the gate. And if there are no wear metals and TBN and additives all look good, there is no reason to change it.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Just a side note, I would always test a new procedure out with a lab report and cutting apart the filter after a year just to check for yourself. You likely will not find any sludge, but what you want to look at is the media stiff (bad) or is it still pliable(good). Then you can always extend your oil chnage interval from there. With a group 4 or 5 oil, and a synthetic filter you can go at least 15k miles and more likely in the neighborhood of 25k before the lab says it is time to change. If you are just going to change your oil every 6 thousand miles you don't even need a synthetic filter, but rather a synthetic/cellulose combo filter, they are cheaper. And unless you have a tick, you don't even need a super oil, Mobil 1 would do just fine, and in fact even a good conventional oil would be good. But, if you want the best protection and not bother changing your oil for 3 plus years, do some research on group 4 and 5 oil.

OP
OP
URdone21

URdone21

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Quad Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
95% of my driving is city stop and go. So I'm gonna go Royal Purple for both oil and filter. Change both at least once a year. Sound right?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
You will never have an oil problem with that plan, but the most important thing is to swap out that PCV valve to make sure your oil can do it's job. I believe every 30k miles should be fine, then you will likely never have any internal engine problems.

Last edited:

03MopaRamman

RAM SPORT / 18 SRT
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 (2003 Forgottens SOLD and 2014 SOLD)
Engine
Hemi 5.7 (392 Hemi) 86 Ford .308 HO Roller
LOL, Yep every 50K Kilometers and once on my other low Miles Hemi (Built 2004 and only 42 k Miles), they are Big and not cheap and found they where cheaper at the dealer than NAPA too!

OP
OP
URdone21

URdone21

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Quad Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You will never have an oil problem with that plan, but the most important thing is to swap out that PCV valve to make sure your oil can do it's job. I believe every 30k miles should be fine, then you will likely never have any internal engine problems.

How do I swap out the PCV valve? And how often?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
My truck only has 6k miles and I haven't looked yet:)

Check the owners manual as far as how often, usually it is either 30 or 60 or 90k miles. I would say if you do a lot of freeway miles and you keep your oil clean 60k would be fine, just my opinion, I'd get another on that. So the PCV is the valve that releases pressure from the top end during the combustion process. of course on the bottom end you have an exhaust pipe for that duty. When the PCV clogs up, the pressure usually goes through a seal somewhere. It is usually on the passenger side towards the back of the engine.

Here is a post on a 3rd gen, but i think on the 4th gen it is under the hemi cover towards back.. not sure... look at the last picture, that is why they do need to be changed. They do get clogged even though there is usually pressure behind it pushing oil and gases back to the engine to get burnt.

pcv 3rd gen

Last edited: