Running a CAI in the winter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

arsenault408

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Any guys on here from Canada running there CAI in the winter ?

J3FF3RSON

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Unless you plan on plowing over your neighbors snowmen, or driving into an avalanche, you should be fine.

Personally, if you're driving through heavy rain or snow, I wouldn't use a Vararam intake at all, but just about any other CAI will be fine.

Saseacasea

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Go for it. Should be no problem at all. Just make sure you don't buy a cheap knock off.

trip1027

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I run a aem brute force Cai and I do play in snow and everything with zero issues

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Buddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've had the S&B since the truck was new, no issues ever. I don't have the extra 'tube' S&B makes that draws more air from under the truck though, so can't comment on the system with that.

OP
OP
A

arsenault408

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've had the S&B since the truck was new, no issues ever. I don't have the extra 'tube' S&B makes that draws more air from under the truck though, so can't comment on the system with that.
But you'd have a closed in air box so no snow would get on your filter

OP
OP
A

arsenault408

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If it doesn't get rain on it, how would snow get on it?

Also, you know under hood temperatures are above 32* when the engine is running, right?
I live up in Canada where we get decent amount of snow so blowing snow and temperatures reach down to -15 Celsius sometimes lower

Sandbox

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I believe the point Kyle was trying to make is that, people drive in the rain with CAIs all of the time with no worries of sucking in water. I wouldn't worry about it.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If nothing else it will Hyper clean your intake plenum

trip1027

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I live up in Canada where we get decent amount of snow so blowing snow and temperatures reach down to -15 Celsius sometimes lower
I live in Wyoming where a nice breeze is 30mph wind.... I have had no issues with rain snow or whatever and I have had snow packed inside engine compartment from playing in snow drifts... 184k miles and still running strong

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

eljefe

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I have the Vararam and have checked it after driving home in a storm and there isn't any water near the filter. We don't get much snow so I'm not worried about that. I'd say go for it and stop worrying about it. There are SO many people using CAI and Vararam on their trucks within this site that if it was an issue there would already be a forum or sticky about it.

DannyMK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I have the Vararam and have checked it after driving home in a storm and there isn't any water near the filter. We don't get much snow so I'm not worried about that. I'd say go for it and stop worrying about it. There are SO many people using CAI and Vararam on their trucks within this site that if it was an issue there would already be a forum or sticky about it.

i had snow/ice build up on the front part of the filter of my vararam back when i had it. maybe its not a huge issue, but i wasn't comfortable with that.

Sandbox

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
The Hellcat Challenger has the air inlet in place of a headlight. I can't see this being a real problem.

Buddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I believe the intake that is Mopar sold through Ram dealers is an open filter style??? If Ram sells a kit that style through dealers they don't have issues with it. I wouldn't worry if they don't.

OP
OP
A

arsenault408

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I believe the intake that is Mopar sold through Ram dealers is an open filter style??? If Ram sells a kit that style through dealers they don't have issues with it. I wouldn't worry if they don't.

Probably install it next week sometimes

eljefe

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
i had snow/ice build up on the front part of the filter of my vararam back when i had it. maybe its not a huge issue, but i wasn't comfortable with that.

Wow, you're the first post I've seen that's had an issue with water on the filter. Are you still using your vararam?