S&B CAI issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bassheadhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
S&B CAI issue

So I we went on a fishing trip this week and after roughly 100mi of off-road we started to hear a loud noise in the front (passenger side). I was afraid something was wrong with the suspension, but after further investigation I noticed that my CAI was very loose. It basically lost the 40mm M8 bolt that hold it under the frame and the rubber grommet for the bolt at the top was destroyed. Took some bungee cords and secured the box and did another 100mi off-road and came back home.

Would blue lock-tite prevent the bolt from coming out? The bolt/washer sit on a plastic part so it can't be crazy tight or it will destroy the plastic. See step 14 in this pdf for the bolt in question https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxRKHbqXSp23NG4zTVdfY2VQa2s/view?usp=drive_web

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Blue lock right or maybe even a couple wraps of "teflon tape" the white tape for plumbing fittings just to make the threads tight on each other. But ya lock tight should do the trick. And put a spare bolt in ur glove box.

VB712

Maxi_built
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've developed a rattle on the passenger side of my truck as well. I have an s&b intake. I've taken apart my entire interior and can't find anything. I need to check this bolt.

OP
OP
bassheadhemi

bassheadhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've developed a rattle on the passenger side of my truck as well. I have an s&b intake. I've taken apart my entire interior and can't find anything. I need to check this bolt.

If you can move the box, it's probably missing. You need to remove the wheel liner to get to access that bolt. :mad:

VB712

Maxi_built
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just checked mine. Bolt is there and tight. Search for my rattle continues. Makes me hate driving my truck lately listening to the rattle I can't find.

OP
OP
bassheadhemi

bassheadhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well I was pissed for nothing about removing the wheel liner. I was able by only prying the top of the liner (after removing 2 screws and a clip) to access the mounting location. Installed the replacement bolt and washer and I have spare in my toolbox.

Here goes my excuse to get another truck lol

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk

Firebird

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi
I liked the S&B I installed in my 2015, but it did like to rattle over bumps.