S&B CAI is garbage (rattling sound)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

morty

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram Rebel
Engine
Hemi 5.7
After recommendations to purchase this CAI I did so. Since then I've had nothing but issues with it after installation.

There is a loud rattle this CAI produces in my truck's interior. I've tried a bunch of different remmedies from foam, to twist ties, etc.

Does anyone else get a loud rattle from this CAI?

I know for a fact 100% that it's the CAI producing this noise but I can't seem to get it to stop. If I remove the CAI, the rattle is gone.

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
is anything loose? What, exactly, is rattling? It's bolted in like the stock air box. Did you bolt it in completely through the fender well?

I mean, there isn't much to rattle on these things. Missing any of the rubber washers for the plexi cover?

OP
OP
M

morty

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram Rebel
Engine
Hemi 5.7
is anything loose? What, exactly, is rattling? It's bolted in like the stock air box. Did you bolt it in completely through the fender well?

I mean, there isn't much to rattle on these things. Missing any of the rubber washers for the plexi cover?

Everything is very tight and yes I removed the wheel well liner to install it.

This weekend I took it out 100%, drove around and the rattle was gone. Then I installed the box housing but left the filter part out, drove around and the rattle was still gone. Put the filter back in, rattle is back. Everything is tight. I have no idea what is rattling but it's definitely something about this filter. The rattle exists without the plastic plexi cover installed too.

Next weekend I'm going to put the stock back in I think.

gmbohuntr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Does it rattle at idle? Or at speed only? Something you could pop the hood and have someone rev while you listen?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920AZ using Tapatalk

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I've had mine for four years no rattle.
Sounds as if your filter is rubbing against something internal to the S&B box. Have you tried rotating the filter slightly to see if its a clearance issue?

OP
OP
M

morty

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram Rebel
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Does it rattle at idle? Or at speed only? Something you could pop the hood and have someone rev while you listen?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920AZ using Tapatalk

Only over bumps in the road. Doesn't even really need to be a big bump either. Basically normal driving on a slightly bumpy road with trigger it.

I've had mine for four years no rattle.
Sounds as if your filter is rubbing against something internal to the S&B box. Have you tried rotating the filter slightly to see if its a clearance issue?

I could check that tonight.

ramhornet15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
that's unfortunate. I have had mine installed for a year and a 1/2 with no rattle noises. Good luck

unxpctd

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 PW 75A
Engine
6.4 Hemi
No rattle on mine. I've had it installed for 6 weeks though...and only 700 miles.

OP
OP
M

morty

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram Rebel
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No rattle on mine. I've had it installed for 6 weeks though...and only 700 miles.

When it was first installed mine was fine. About two months later the rattle started.

Mbrigh3

IG: Stormtrooper_5.7
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Weird, mine also has worked flawlessly. I don't think "S&B is garbage", I actually think its the top intake for our truck. Sorry for your bad experience.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Are you sure the wheel well liner was properly installed?

Gary's Hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Are you sure the wheel well liner was properly installed?

This sounds like it would be more likely than a CLOTH and RUBBER filter rattling. If you think S&B is garbage I would hate to see your review on the flimsy Vararam that you have to shut the hood on to get to sit/fit properly. Lol

Your fender liner could be loose, you could have dropped a bolt, washer, wrench or socket somewhere during install, you could have left an item loose or missed a bolt period and when the weight of the heavy filter is on it then something rattles, your filter could be some how not installed properly and rubbing(i dont see how though b/c you would see visible rub marks on the rubber, cloth or plastic. Out of all the intakes I have had over the yrs the S&B is about the best quality of almost all the brand intakes

Booms

The OG
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Express
Engine
Whipple 5.7 • SmoothBoost!
^ This....

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
My 14 had the S&B intake till I got the 17 and it never had any rattles. I’d 100% recommend it. There has to be something not done correctly to cause the rattle. Make sure you haven’t forgotten a washer or something. Fender liner mine not be installed correctly.