S&B CAI Install Q's

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PDXRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Went ahead and installed my S&B CAI on my 2016 1500. I know it's not going to be the loudest CAI, but from watching the installation video and comparing to what mine sounds like I just want to make sure I've got it done all right.

Everything from the box is installed except for two screws, which seem to be extra material. The filter itself was pretty darn oily too.

Tried attaching a video but didn't work. I'll try on my computer in a bit. Maybe my exhaust is too loud to hear it even?

cf11441f01a76f267bff4eacdf7bdfab.png

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
With the cover I'm going to say that the s&B is not a loud noticeable CIA. I could be wrong

OP
OP
PDXRam

PDXRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
With the cover I'm going to say that the s&B is not a loud noticeable CIA. I could be wrong

I'll try posting a video. I don't really care about sound so just making sure the installation is done right

12sportmc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have the S and B on my Hemi as well and it's not loud...which for me is a huge plus. Not sure if that answers your question but like Quietpeen said the lid makes it pretty much stock noise level.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
PDXRam

PDXRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have the S and B on my Hemi as well and it's not loud...which for me is a huge plus. Not sure if that answers your question but like Quietpeen said the lid makes it pretty much stock noise level.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks. I'll post a video once this forum lets me!

Kotta390

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The S&B is a very quiet design. After I installed nine I could only hear the difference under WOT and it wasn't very noticeable.

OP
OP
PDXRam

PDXRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The only reason I'm suspicious is because the S&B install video has it sounding so freaking loud, haha

Mbrigh3

IG: Stormtrooper_5.7
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have one too... I only noticed it at high RPM's before I put the exhaust on my truck. Now with my muffler swap I don't even notice it. S&B is probably one of the more silent intakes but its in my opinion one of the best.

Kotta390

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you want a loud intake, grab a K&N or do a homemade with just an open cone filter element. That will yield the loudest results.

OP
OP
PDXRam

PDXRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you want a loud intake, grab a K&N or do a homemade with just an open cone filter element. That will yield the loudest results.

I would go with K&N if I was looking for a loud one, but I'm not! Therefore the choice of S&B[emoji1360]

Vendor
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Laramie Sport Crew, 2019 1500 Big Horn Sport Crew & 2016 Charger SRT Hellcat
Engine
2x 5.7L & 6.2L
yeah, mine (installed last night) - I can't hear it over my delete pipe.

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I'll try posting a video. I don't really care about sound so just making sure the installation is done right

Your installation looks just like mine, so you probably nailed it. I've had mine for over three years.
S&B is a lot quieter than those open CAI's like K&N or Airaid--but there is a pleasant little throttle growl that will complement your exhaust note when you get in to the skinny pedal.
You really don't want an open model (IMHO) because they may have good air flow, but they do not give you colder combustion air because they suck on the engine bay, AND, the big downside with them (open models) is tooth rattling noise under acceleration that kills conversation and drowns out your music.
Unless you cart your mother-in-law around a lot, you don't want all that noise.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I just put one on my Cummins and other than a bit of turbo whistle, I can't hear much difference in intake noise.

The exhaust tone changed a bit, though.