S&B cai owners

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jay c

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have had a S&B Cai intake for a couple months, and love it. I recently noticed tho, that the crank case vent line that connects to the Cai box is not filtered. Every other Cai I've seen the hose connects after the filter and like I said in this case it connects right beside it. Unfiltered air full of dirt/debrie can't be good for the crank case. Does any one think this is or could possibly be an issue?

Ram1050

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just put in the S&B cai, I honestly dont forsee an issue, but I cant say for certain, I have not heard any complaints by anyone else though if that helps.

OP
OP
jay c

jay c

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks ram 1050, I haven't heard of any issue either. But I'm not sure if it's because there aren't any or that no one has noticed it.

hnrypat21

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
i have the S&B and i didn't even notice had it on for about 15000 miles with no problems i will check it when i get the truck back to see if there is any build up

OP
OP
jay c

jay c

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sorry for my late response, but your right. I'll keep a better eye out for stuff like that.

Sent from my EVO

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I have had a S&B Cai intake for a couple months, and love it. I recently noticed tho, that the crank case vent line that connects to the Cai box is not filtered. Every other Cai I've seen the hose connects after the filter and like I said in this case it connects right beside it. Unfiltered air full of dirt/debrie can't be good for the crank case. Does any one think this is or could possibly be an issue?
Flow is the other direction.
This is gas sucked from your crankcase (venting your crankcase) using suction from your intake manifold. That means it is filtered through your filter on the way back into your TB. Not like the churned atomized oil and gases from the PCV, this is relieving pressure and potentially explosive gases that might otherwise build up in your crankcase. :werd07:

Last edited:

HLram

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 and 2007
Engine
Hemi 5.7 in both
mine isn't filtered. I remembered this thread a while back when I was under my hood and I checked it. I can stick my finger in the hole where it comes out, downstream of the air filter. It looks like it goes thru the filter, but mine doesn't. Not trying to argue, just sayin......I don't have my truck with me now or I'd take a picture of it.

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
mine isn't filtered. I remembered this thread a while back when I was under my hood and I checked it. I can stick my finger in the hole where it comes out, downstream of the air filter. It looks like it goes thru the filter, but mine doesn't. Not trying to argue, just sayin......I don't have my truck with me now or I'd take a picture of it.
The stock intake does not filter the Crankcase vent/breather.
With S&B it is filtered before entering the engine's throttle body. If for some reason your crankcase is under vacuum and sucking in air, then it would not be filtered--Issac Newton would roll over in his grave however.
Regardless, this is gas from inside your crank case--no dusty/dirty/cootie filled air from outside your vehicle being introduced to your engine. :(
With Vararam it is vented to atmosphere through a filter. Air in, or air out , it is no longer attached to your engine's intake.
Below is the link to my S&B thread. You can clealry see the crankcase vent (small tube) enters the filter housing in the picture from under my hood. Even if it went straight into the intake tube going to the TB it doesn't matter, but it doesn't.
http://www.ramforum.com/f44/s_b_cai_moes-32698/

PCV line is entirely different and full of used motor oil vapor you want a BT Catch Can to intercept.
:peace:

Last edited: