S&b cai trouble

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jhight71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey gang, put the S&B cai on my truck today and now the engine light is on and have no economy mode any more... Never goes into 4cyl mode... Is there a fix for this or do I have to go to a dealer for some type of reprogram for the increased air?
Any help appreciated!!

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
The code is most likely due to the IAT sensor. Make sure it is connected properly in the intake tube, and then reset your computer by disconnecting your negative battery terminal for about 30 minutes. That should get rid of the code.

OP
OP
Jhight71

Jhight71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Will give it a try.... I had to replace the plug for the sensor because it broke the clip taking it off... I was able to get the wires out of the old and transfer to the new plug without cutting the wires and soldering the pig tails that came with it. I am pretty sure I put the wires back the way they were. Are they polarity sensitive by chance?
Thanks for the info!

OP
OP
Jhight71

Jhight71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Update:
Got into my truck this morning and no engine light! Eco mode restored as well. One thing I did notice is that I seem to be at the same performance as stock box. I took out a volant which seemed to have a little better performance. I didn't seem to have to keep my foot in it as much to keep my speed up with the volant vs the s&b.... Anyone else notice this?

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Did you reset the computer by disconnecting the negative battery terminal? There isn't going to be a seat of the pants difference between the Volant and the S&B. It may have just thrown your computer off after having the IAT sensor unplugged. Try resetting your computer, and everything should be fine.

OP
OP
Jhight71

Jhight71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Haven't tried pulling battery cable since the light seemed to clear... Should I still do it even if it has cleared?

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Correct. I would still reset the computer. You only need to disconnect the negative terminal for about 30 minutes.

Arctic-Rodz

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500
Engine
6.7L Cummins
would pulling the neg batt terminal off lock up the stock NAV stereo? wanting to know for my 2013.

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
would pulling the neg batt terminal off lock up the stock NAV stereo? wanting to know for my 2013.

It does not lock up mine in my '12- the radio even keeps all its presets.
Only the average fuel consumption gets reset as far as eleetronic numbers go.

OP
OP
Jhight71

Jhight71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Correct. I would still reset the computer. You only need to disconnect the negative terminal for about 30 minutes.

Ok. Will give it a try as soon as I get the chance!

kkreit01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I pulled the neg battery terminal on my '12, and the 430N did appear to be locked when I turned the key back on (I even opened thread here). I didn't have the PIN. Ram doesn't have the PINs (I called). However, once I STARTED my truck, it was fine. It unlocked itself once the truck was started. It only appeared locked when key was in "ACC" position.

OP
OP
Jhight71

Jhight71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Pulled the neg battery cable today... No change in performance with the s&b vs the noticeable performance with the volant... I guess the best way I can describe it now is it feels like I have the parking brake partially engaged while driving. :-/ I am have to keep in the throttle even on some downgrades now to just maintain 60mph.... Should I get the dealer to reflash the computer? Any one else ever notice a similar prob?

tkyle486

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Never had any issues with the engine light coming on but my lid doesn't cover the whole top area of the CAI and it some water in as well. Anyone else have this issue.

OP
OP
Jhight71

Jhight71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My lid isn't perfect either... I got a tuner on its way and hemi fever tune that is supposed to help me out... I have lost .5 mpg per computer and feels like a small 6 cyl in the performance area right now...

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've somehow gotten water spots on the inside of my lid as well, and I've never hosed/washed the engine down.
Whatever- it's still better than an open CAI IMO.

OP
OP
Jhight71

Jhight71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've somehow gotten water spots on the inside of my lid as well, and I've never hosed/washed the engine down.
Whatever- it's still better than an open CAI IMO.

Agreed!

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Pulled the neg battery cable today... No change in performance with the s&b vs the noticeable performance with the volant... I guess the best way I can describe it now is it feels like I have the parking brake partially engaged while driving. :-/ I am have to keep in the throttle even on some downgrades now to just maintain 60mph.... Should I get the dealer to reflash the computer? Any one else ever notice a similar prob?
Did you plug the opening for the scoop or leave it open?
Only speculating here, but if you used the plug that comes with the S&B to blocked the second opening becuase you don't have the scoop, you may not be getting much better air than your Volant. If you left the plug out, and are still not seeing anything good, then I'm out of ideas for you. :mf_pcwhack:

OP
OP
Jhight71

Jhight71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Scoop is open.. Got the extension down behind the bumper.. I did have to drill a new hole below the factory one in order to get it to fit over my tow hooks.

I also rotated the air temp sensor 90* and it seems to be running a lot better... I am still gonna fill with 93 tonight and see how much more it does....