S&b cold air intake question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stevens

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Dodge Ram sport 4x4 crew
Engine
hemi 5.7
Just noticed on my cold air I take system that the plastic shield is not fully covering the air box where the filter is...there's gaps on each side like it doesn't fit correctly,.....maybe it's not a big deal ? Or is that filter box screen suppose to be fully sealed where the filter is...

gmbohuntr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Mine's the same way. Nothing major, just a small gap. I put some felt tape along that lip to seal it up. Doubt it's anything major, more just tell settle my ocd. Lol.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920AZ using Tapatalk

sticknstring

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just noticed on my cold air I take system that the plastic shield is not fully covering the air box where the filter is...there's gaps on each side like it doesn't fit correctly,.....maybe it's not a big deal ? Or is that filter box screen suppose to be fully sealed where the filter is...

I had the same issue on the s&b intake I put on my 2013 1500. Don't think it affects anything enough to notice, but you're not the only one who has experienced it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12sportmc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It's normal

West27

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What are you guys seeing for intake temps while driving. I have a K&N and was wondering if this closed designed would truelly give me a colder intake temp. I see anywhere from 5-20 degrees hotter temps than outside temp on the K&N.

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Not a big deal. Its letting a little warmer air into the box, but it all still goes through he filter.

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
What are you guys seeing for intake temps while driving. I have a K&N and was wondering if this closed designed would truelly give me a colder intake temp. I see anywhere from 5-20 degrees hotter temps than outside temp on the K&N.
Where are you measuring intake temp and with what sort of probe, or thermometer?

I've never checked the difference, but closed units (S&B, Volant) suck through right fender like the OEM airbox.

West27

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Where are you measuring intake temp and with what sort of probe, or thermometer?

I've never checked the difference, but closed units (S&B, Volant) suck through right fender like the OEM airbox.

I am looking at the intake temp sensor using the i2 while data logging.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
maybe its just me, but for the price of the S&B CAI, i don't think there should be any gaps.

sticknstring

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
maybe its just me, but for the price of the S&B CAI, i don't think there should be any gaps.

I agree. I know I was disappointed in mine. After a couple months it started rattling where it attached to the fender and I could never get it right again.

VB712

Maxi_built
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've developed a rattle myself on my truck. Sounds interior but can't find anything. I have an s&b as well. I put rubber in between the intake and where it bolts to the frame. No luck. The bolt inside of the box that bolts to the fender will not get tight. Wonder if the s&b intake is to blame for my rattle.

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Not experiencing any of the issues described after four years with the S&B. The Plexiglas has to flex a bit to avoid cracking under the thermal variations from cold engine to freeway. That's why two different bolts and slotted holes in the top. If it really bothers you, you could probably lay a little black foam gasket material on the underside to take up the air gap,

As far as noises, things do loosen over time.

You could pull that wheel well liner once a year and check for tightness? I check everything is tight from inside the box every time I service the air filter.

Just say'n....