S&B Intake Review

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Dodge Ram
Engine
5.7 Hemi
thanks for the info. Ill check out the updated site now. Thanks again.

OP
OP
2K10HemiRam

2K10HemiRam

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Hometown: Tacoma, WA Stationed: Alamogordo NM
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well, just got done looking at the instructions for installing the scoop they just finished developing for the 4th gens and I don't know about it...

First off, I guess they're not going to get beta testers for the scoop like they did the intake since I haven't been contacted about it yet and I'm not sure if I'm willing to fork out the 100 bones for it.

Second, it just doesn't look right to me because in order to make the scoop fit, they had to put a hole at the top so that a support tab that's in the way can fit inside the scoop and allow it to connect to the intake. I think that the hole and tab together are going to negate some, if not most, of the effect the scoop would bring to the intake. I mean just looking at the pictures in the instruction manual, you have a ram air scoop with a square hole on the forward side of it toward the top where it connects to the intake, I'm thinking a good little bit of air is going to be escaping from there lessening the ram air effect. And on top of that, you have a tab in the air stream of the scoop! It's an obstruction which will slow air down which is of course and no no when it comes to ram air intakes.

Third, they do address this in the instructions btw...but the scoop may not work with body lifts, lowering kits, and some oversized wheels/tires. It's all because of how big and low the bottom of the scoop is. It opens up to a pretty good size down at the bottom and from the looks of it, it sits about 1 1/2" to 2" below the frame where the aft tow hook mount is. It's really not a concern to me but it's just one of those things, ya know?

Lastly, and possibly the biggest deal to me...the scoop requires you to attach a bracket to the frame, not a big deal right? Well for someone that has tow hooks, it might be. The truck they used to prototype it on doesn't have tow hooks and the bolt that you attach the bracket to is one of the same bolts you use to attach the tow hook to. From the looks of it, the bracket hangs down far enough that it doesn't look like you'll be able to squeeze the bracket between the bolt and the tow hook.

Now of course, just a reminder, everything I've brought up is based on looking at some of the pictures in the installation manual. How it'll actually install/fit could be fairly different from my interpretations of the pictures and we wont know anything of course until someone actually gets it and installs it. I'm going to shoot an e-mail over to the dude I know there and see what he says about everything I've brought up.

Oh yea, if you guys want to take a look at it, here's the link and the instructions are at the top of the specifications tab.

Last edited:

Whitehemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yes the tab is strange but from the look of it the tab slides in and the scoop sits flush and seals off the hole with the tab in it.....I am sold so I'll order the set up tonight. Imo it's the best Hemi truck setup I have seen yet......

09SMOKINHEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
looks very nice.... i really dig how it looks. i'm very interested to see how it'll perform with the scoop. if it beats the numbers a Vavaram has then I'm in

Vendor
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Laramie Sport Crew, 2019 1500 Big Horn Sport Crew & 2016 Charger SRT Hellcat
Engine
2x 5.7L & 6.2L
interesting setup......

Musclemckeester

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
It's an interesting design. Similar along the lines with what blackout11 did with his K&N.

Maybe it's just me, but it seems like this wouldn't be a good setup unless your truck never leaves the pavement. Sand and mud getting in there would be a real problem for me.

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
The intake by itself would be fine for the guys that go offroad, but I agree that the scoop wil not be for everyone. Also, the only reason larger tires would be an issue is if you no longer have your front fender liners. The scoop sits on the outside of the liner, so the only way your tires would hit this is if they had pushed through your liner. If you are rubbing that bad, then you need to look into replacing your tires before buying this scoop. I think I would prefer it to be facinf forward instead of straight down, but at that position, it is still going to draw in cold outside air. I think this scoop is going to work out great for the street guys.

09SMOKINHEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The intake by itself would be fine for the guys that go offroad, but I agree that the scoop wil not be for everyone. Also, the only reason larger tires would be an issue is if you no longer have your front fender liners. The scoop sits on the outside of the liner, so the only way your tires would hit this is if they had pushed through your liner. If you are rubbing that bad, then you need to look into replacing your tires before buying this scoop. I think I would prefer it to be facinf forward instead of straight down, but at that position, it is still going to draw in cold outside air. I think this scoop is going to work out great for the street guys.

i think you mentioned in another thread that the vavaram and the s&b had similar numbers as far as added hp. will the scoop push the s&b passed the vavaram?

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
The only reason why I am not completely sold on the S&B scoop is because it is not facing forward. It is still allowing cooler air to be pulled up to the filter, but it is not "forcing" cooler air to the filter. The design of the Vararam forces the cold air over the radiator and to your filter.

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hmmm- not so much of a scoop as a second inlet, in my eyes.
I don't typically worry about water ingestion, esp because the airbox retains its original air inlet hole, but they sure have a lot of C.Y.A. documentation regarding water ingestion! If you hyrdrolock your engine with this you're likely in bigger trouble, as the airbox would pull air from all other sources before drawing water up that much ducting, past the filer, and ingesting it.
Anyhoo, will stick with the S&B for now and see about adding the scoop later.

OP
OP
2K10HemiRam

2K10HemiRam

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Alright, so S&B got back with me pretty quick and early today, awesome, and not only did we talk about my questions/concerns about the scoop but they are also going to be sending me the dry filter and the filter pre-wrap that I was suppose to get with the intake a couple months ago. So those two things should be hitting the mail man today and I should have them in hand and ready to snap a couple pictures of and what not by the end of the week.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Dodge Ram
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Anyone actually use the scoop? If so is it worth the $100

OP
OP
2K10HemiRam

2K10HemiRam

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I want to say i'm the only one on the forum with this intake and a scoop so far but I haven't been able to use the scoop so far because I have tow hooks and S&B is still developing a tow hook friendly bracket for this scoop. If you have tow hooks or plan on getting them any time soon, then the scoop will not fit on your truck. But hopefully, they will get a bracket made soon that will work with those that have tow hooks because i would love to install the scoop that has been sitting in my garage for the last month or longer.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Dodge Ram
Engine
5.7 Hemi
oh wow, thanks for the info. I do have tow hooks. When they get around to fixing the issue I'd like to hear what difference you think the scoop makes. Thanks again.

jlb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
Is it just that the mounting doesn't work, or are the hooks actually in the way? Could a creative guy just fab his own bracket?

OP
OP
2K10HemiRam

2K10HemiRam

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hooks are in the way. The bracket attaches to the right mount bolt of the tow hook and with the tow hook installed, there's only about a 1/2 -3/4 inch gap from the top of the hook to the bottom of the bolt while the mounting face of the bracket stands about an inch tall from the bend to the bottom of the mount hole. So there's to much bracket in such a small space.

A creative guy could fab his own bracket if he has the means to do so. I'm creative but don't have the means to fab one so I'm stuck waiting on S&B still.