S&B Intake Review

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Big Boi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
So how do you like the intake? Dry or oiled?

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Anyone actually use the scoop? If so is it worth the $100

I didn't try the CAI without it, but I figure if you're gonna spend $300 on a frigging air cleaner you'd might as well spend $400 and maximize your benefits.
My mileage has gone up over 2L/100 (a solid 1MPG) even with a lot of right-footing it to hear the intake. It sounds BADASS; deep, rumbly/throaty.

As to the catch-can/CAI question, who in their right mind would want that oily residue on their air filter element?? Yeah it might catch it, but that's not what the CAI was designed to do. If you run the dry element I could see it ruining very quickly, if using the oiled it would just F it up quick. I can't see getting a CAI without a catch can. Yuck.
My $.02

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I didn't try the CAI without it, but I figure if you're gonna spend $300 on a frigging air cleaner you'd might as well spend $400 and maximize your benefits.
My mileage has gone up over 2L/100 (a solid 1MPG) even with a lot of right-footing it to hear the intake. It sounds BADASS; deep, rumbly/throaty.

As to the catch-can/CAI question, who in their right mind would want that oily residue on their air filter element?? Yeah it might catch it, but that's not what the CAI was designed to do. If you run the dry element I could see it ruining very quickly, if using the oiled it would just F it up quick. I can't see getting a CAI without a catch can. Yuck.
My $.02
Fair enough.

Hey 2K10 do you have a catch can? If not, have you noticed any build up on your filter?

:buffer:

OP
OP
2K10HemiRam

2K10HemiRam

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Hometown: Tacoma, WA Stationed: Alamogordo NM
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Fair enough.

Hey 2K10 do you have a catch can? If not, have you noticed any build up on your filter?

:buffer:

I'm kind of late on this but if you see this, I didn't have a catch can at first but a couple months later I did get one but never noticed any build up on my filter prior to getting one.

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
S&B Intake Review

I was mistaken in my earlier post. I was referring to the crankcase vent rather than PCV. Catch can does not address crankcase vent. However it is still potentially a source of oil mist into the intake. Vararam cuts it out and puts a small filter on it. S&B sucks it in but pre filter. Either way both are probably better than stock where it enters post filter. Crank vet should have less entrained oil most anyway.

OP
OP
2K10HemiRam

2K10HemiRam

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Hometown: Tacoma, WA Stationed: Alamogordo NM
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ok wow...I guess this shows how disconnected from the forum I've been this year. I completely forgot to post up pictures of the intake scoop I finally got after a couple months of waiting and nagging. You'd think I'd remember after the next set of months I had to wait for the to finally produce a prototype bracket for me to test with tow hooks.

The pictures I have of the scoop are from the day I got it with the original bracket the scoop came with which is good if you are not running tow hooks. But for those of you, like me, that are running with tow hooks, S&B had to go back to the drawing board and redesign the bracket so that it can be equipped to both trucks with and without hooks. I unfortunately failed on taking pictures of the new redesigned bracket when I installed it and at the moment, I don't feel like crawling under my truck to snap pictures of it although I should because I need to take a look at my manifold bolts....

The install is very easy as long as you make one modification to the instructions because I honestly don't know what they were thinking when writing them. I did tell them my thoughts on it but as far as I know they didn't make any change. The thing I did different was I put the scoop in and loosely attach it's two bolts to the intake then I installed the bracket after it was up in the truck. You'll have a harder time trying to install the scoop if you attach the bracket to the scoop then try installing the scoop just because of the clearance issue's. It's especially harder if you have tow hooks. So for a simple install, install it in pieces.

And here's a few pictures

IMG_0747_zpsa2982e68.jpg

IMG_0748_zps7d210293.jpg

IMG_0749_zpsefb78b62.jpg

IMG_0750_zps30817863.jpg

IMG_0751_zpse83cf627.jpg

IMG_0752_zps4a92ccbf.jpg

Just to kind of give you an idea of the size of the opening
IMG_0753_zps3e8de8e5.jpg

And this is looking up the scoop after install
IMG_0754_zps3e7aff7a.jpg

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Thanks for posting up the pictures.
2001 theme...Duh, duh, dunah!

Err, or maybe not!

I have an S&B and what I notice is the aperture below the attachment point I guess that's an access to get at the bolts? Its where mine draws air now; reasonably low and definitely cooler than the upper engine bay.

So the Yettie foot is gonna make it better? Sign me up as baptized S&B, but skeptical.

Last edited:

XTrooper

Reaction score
Retired and living in the mountains of NE Pennylva
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I totally understand Eric's logic. When you already have $300 invested, another hundred doesn't seem like too much to me. If I didn't live in snow country where the snow gets a lot deeper than that scoop is low, I'd probably spring for one myself. One thing's for certain, that scoop may not dramatically increase airflow, but it darn sure isn't going to hurt it! ;)

xXAvroArrowXx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram Sport CC
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Bump. So after doing my typical many sleepless nights of comparison and googling, I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on the S&B for my '14. Just waiting for S&B to verify it fits my year (I offered to beta it for them, but I don't think they're biting on that). Anyone here with an S&B in their '14?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Ramguy65

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I emailed S&B and they said it won't be until around June before one is released for the 14's

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Ramguy65

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This is the email I got from S&B. I went on their Facebook page and they were saying June was the date they had hoped to release them. I would wait before buying the you have there.

Update for Case #6273 - "Intake for 2014 Ram 1500"

Steve,
Thanks for the email, Dodge decided to change the AC lines on the 2014 models which interferes with our kit. Engineering is currently working on the redesign of this issue, and hope to have a new kit out in a few weeks. If you will like us on Facebook we can notify you when the kit will be released. Thanks for looking at S&B Filters Inc.

Click here to update the Case online, or reply to this e-mail

Message History
-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tuesday , March 11, 2014 09:46 am PDT (GMT-07:00)
Subject: Intake for 2014 Ram 1500

Hi there.

I was wondering if you have an intake out for the 14 Ram 1500's yet or how far off you are to releasing one? I had one for my 09 and loved it.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

xXAvroArrowXx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram Sport CC
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I got the same response from S&B too. Apparently Ram moved an A/C line juuuust enough that the '13 S&B kit won't work.

xXAvroArrowXx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram Sport CC
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Grrr! I offered to test install for them. Appears that they want someone local to their facility to have the install done though.

kris319

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I got the same response from S&B too. Apparently Ram moved an A/C line juuuust enough that the '13 S&B kit won't work.

I got the same reply in November. Honestly it seems to me that they can careless how long it takes them to develop it. It really shouldn't take 8+ months to find a truck and reroute the tube. S&B was my initial choice but I ended up buying the Volant intake since they came to the market months ago and they're fairly similar.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

xXAvroArrowXx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram Sport CC
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I got the same reply in November. Honestly it seems to me that they can careless how long it takes them to develop it. It really shouldn't take 8+ months to find a truck and reroute the tube. S&B was my initial choice but I ended up buying the Volant intake since they came to the market months ago and they're fairly similar.

Yeah.... And I like the PowerCore filter that volant has. More airflow + better filtration. I think the S&B has top notch quality and looks better IMHO but then again, I don't pop the hood to oggle the engine compt all too often. Maybe I'll go Volant.... (IF ANYONE FROM S&B IS READING THIS WHAT I'M SAYIN IS: GET IT TOGETHER!!)

kris319

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah.... And I like the PowerCore filter that volant has. More airflow + better filtration. I think the S&B has top notch quality and looks better IMHO but then again, I don't pop the hood to oggle the engine compt all too often. Maybe I'll go Volant.... (IF ANYONE FROM S&B IS READING THIS WHAT I'M SAYIN IS: GET IT TOGETHER!!)

That's exactly what I ended up with. I have the Volant with the powercore and ram air scoop. It works great and it's pretty quite, however you can definitely hear it sucking during wot.