S&B or Vararam

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

redsand

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.5 Ecoboost
I'm planning on picking up an intake in the next few weeks and I've narrowed it down between the S&B or the Vararam. I like the looks of the S&B better but I like the old school look of the Vararam too. What do you guys think? Which will give the better performance as I start adding mods?

2K10HemiRam

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Hometown: Tacoma, WA Stationed: Alamogordo NM
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That's opening a whole can of worms...I believe that without the same truck running on a dyno with both intakes, it'll be difficult to say which will will do better. I believe I am still the only person on the forum with the S&B but I know there are several people that are planning on getting it soon and I do love how it performs as I saw positive changes when going from my Afe stage 2 to the S&B. There are a few people running the Vararams and are heads over heels about those things.

One is a ram air intake and the other, with the addition of the scoop, can damn near be ram air. Both are great products and you'll be happy with either route you go. I think it'll just come down to which one you'd like looking at more when you pop the hood.

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
These 2 intakes are the best available in my opinion. While the Vararam has shown slightly better performance gains, the S&B is better built and stronger. You cant go wrong with either of these intakes.

Sideshow

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Rubicon 2D
Engine
Pentastar
I have the S&B. Very well built unit.
I can't speak for it's performance gains alone because I installed it at the same time as all my other go-fast parts.

dogcar3

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have no complaints about the Vararam, noticed a great improvement. My choice was easy since I wanted to make room for a second battery. I doubt you would regret buying either one.

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Because I share the truck with my wife I need to have a clean, factory-like look, so the S&B it is.
As much as I can see the Vararam getting a little more air in at speed I can also see it sucking in some hot engine bay air at idle (red lights).
Like Moe said above, I doubt you'd regret buying either one.

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Because I share the truck with my wife I need to have a clean, factory-like look, so the S&B it is.
As much as I can see the Vararam getting a little more air in at speed I can also see it sucking in some hot engine bay air at idle (red lights).
Like Moe said above, I doubt you'd regret buying either one.

The Vararam actually seals off against the hood when the hood is closed, so you dont soak up any of that engine heat. But you are correct in that it really starts to shine at higher rpms.

TXSport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What is y'alls opinion if I want to be a weekend off roader and hit mud puddles with force!!

I want the Vararam but am concerned if I hit water at any rate of speed I might suck water up. I know there is a chance of that happening with any intake including stock but....

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
That is a concern with any intake. I would go with the S&B, and then grab 1 of their pre filters to put on when you go offroading. It will offer a little more protection just in case you decide to go a little crazy out there.

dogcar3

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What is y'alls opinion if I want to be a weekend off roader and hit mud puddles with force!!

I want the Vararam but am concerned if I hit water at any rate of speed I might suck water up. I know there is a chance of that happening with any intake including stock but....

If you get an intake that has a scoop down behind the bumper I would think there would be a better chance of sucking up water then with the Vararam. Seems that when you would get deep enough/create enough splash to ingest water with the Vararam, the level would already be bad enough that other intakes would have already failed. If that makes sense.

The only case where I think the Vararam may suffer is if you get your bumper down into some water at speed. For me, if I am going through water that deep, no way it will be at speed. That is just asking to mess something up on your truck.

TXSport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thats what I am afraid of. LOL.. hitting a puddle and the nose dropping enough for water to come up into the grill and with some good forward momentum it may get up into the intake with a Vararam..
Hmmm good reason to justify a 6" lift!!!!

I don't plan on fording any rivers or streams anytime soon so no worries there about it getting high enough to touch the doors.

dogcar3

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thats what I am afraid of. LOL.. hitting a puddle and the nose dropping enough for water to come up into the grill and with some good forward momentum it may get up into the intake with a Vararam..
Hmmm good reason to justify a 6" lift!!!!

I don't plan on fording any rivers or streams anytime soon so no worries there about it getting high enough to touch the doors.

Any other intake would be just as at risk as the vararam in that situation. There is a video of a power wagon hydrolocking on youtube with a lift and stock intake just driving through water the height of a sidewall. Only thing that would give me any feeling of security driving fast though water is a snorkle.

OP
OP
R

redsand

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.5 Ecoboost
Thanks for the input guys, maybe I'll just have to PM Moe's next week with my CC # and he can surprise me with one or the other. Once I get this ordered what would you suggest I get for my next mod? I've got 14" magnaflow now and superchips on there. I was thinking either the 87mm tb or headers. Will probably order the 180 thermostat when I do the intake too. I picked up the SC for a good price so I figure I'll try to get the most out of it before I need to upgrade to a trinity as I'd like to do a cam swap by the end of next summer.

2K10HemiRam

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Hometown: Tacoma, WA Stationed: Alamogordo NM
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
For those afraid of getting water into the S&B, just so you know, if you don't buy and install the scoop, you can install a plug that comes with the intake kit so that you don't suck up any water into the intake. Combine the scoop with the pre-filter wrap and you'll have the same worries about sucking up water was someone with the factory intake. Except you'll also have a wrap for increased protection.

Take a look at the review I wrote on the S&B intake here and look at the 3rd and 16th pictures. You can see the plug laying in the bottom right corner of the 3rd picture and in the 16th pictures, I dropped the plug into the intake to show it installed.

http://www.ramforum.com/f44/s_b_intake_review-18850/

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Thanks for the input guys, maybe I'll just have to PM Moe's next week with my CC # and he can surprise me with one or the other. Once I get this ordered what would you suggest I get for my next mod? I've got 14" magnaflow now and superchips on there. I was thinking either the 87mm tb or headers. Will probably order the 180 thermostat when I do the intake too. I picked up the SC for a good price so I figure I'll try to get the most out of it before I need to upgrade to a trinity as I'd like to do a cam swap by the end of next summer.

Its tough to pick just 1 mod isnt it...haha. Both headers and a ported TB will benefit you with your mods, so either one is a good choice after the intake. And good call on that 180* stat. These motors run alot better cool. If you are looking to squeeze out every last HP, then the Vararam is the way to go. Otherwise, you wont find a better quality built intake than the S&B.

OP
OP
R

redsand

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.5 Ecoboost
Its tough to pick just 1 mod isnt it...haha. Both headers and a ported TB will benefit you with your mods, so either one is a good choice after the intake. And good call on that 180* stat. These motors run alot better cool. If you are looking to squeeze out every last HP, then the Vararam is the way to go. Otherwise, you wont find a better quality built intake than the S&B.

It is very hard, if I wasn't trying to get my basement finished I'd just buy the tb, headers and intake all in one shot. I guess I'll just shoot for one go fast goodie a month for now.

OP
OP
R

redsand

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.5 Ecoboost
Well I got to see a S&B today, it was on my boss' Ford super duty, but at least I got to see the quality that every one has talked about and that swayed me. I will be placing my order next Wednesday on an S&B and thermostat.

ramtruck4life

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

im in the same boat as you lol

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Awesome. They are some very nice pieces.

Also guys, just a quick heads up on Vararam. I sold my last Vararam kit yesterday, and Vararam is out of stock as well. They are making a big run of these now, but they will not be ready to ship until the week after Christmas. If anyone places an order for 1 between now and then, we will not charge your card until these are in stock and ready to go.